Tunisia-Egypt-Qatar Unified Theory Thread

Discussion in 'International News' started by Maximum Optimal, Jan 14, 2011.

1. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WikiLeaks just released a new batch of US embassy cables that discuss police brutality in Egypt.

I find this both interesting and potentially important.

2. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Of corse the US has no reason to hope for a regime change in Egypt. With all the domestic problems Mubarak's dictatorship causes, he is (was?) a stabilizing factor for the region as a whole.
    With a revolution in Egypt, all bets are off regarding Egypt-Israel relations.

Still, Biden's comments were extremely dumb IMHO. It once again gives the impression that the US is happy to support "friendly" dictators...

3. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Agreed. An Islamist takeover of Egypt would be the worst case scenario for the region. Mubarak in power is very important for peace in Israel and creates a buffer from Israel's hostile neighbors .

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The Muslim Brotherhood (which is a pretty good distance from something like the Taliban and AQ to the point of being very mild in comparison) has been caught very off guard and is not anywhere close to driving the protests. Furthermore, MB isn't all that interested in one-party rule. MB is the only organization with enough coherent clout to "take over".

Biden is a complete jackass. He's almost Quayle-like.

5. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who cares about israel. i sure dont. let them defend themselves and stop screwing the american taxpayers.

6. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    It all started this past summer, with those Mossad-controlled sharks off the coast of Egpyt ...

7. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I guess that means Libya is 1 decade overdue for its revolution.

8. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I am not inspired by the Administration's response. I don't think he should be referred to as a dictator by the VP, I understand that. But we should be voicing 100% support for democratic reforms in the country, starting today.

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I think everyone in Libya is too amused and titillated by The Colonel's bodyguard corps to do much of anything.

10. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    MB has far and away the most sophisticated organization in Egypt and is far from cuddly. If it chooses to join the protets, as it plans to today, it has a good chance of becoming the pillar around which other protesters will gather.

11. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not really find the Administration's response all that unexpected. If the president has any ideology (and to be truthful, I am not sure he does past the general leftism fashionable in the faculty lounge) I think he has a belief in the state, stability, the family of nations and all that. The state needs stability. I won't really attack him on it though, though my response if I was president would have been different. He is the one who will have to deal with a coup in Egypt, not me.

I also think that too many in our foreign policy elite still see the world in a Cold War prisim. He is our bastard made some sense in 1975, when the other choice was someone who claimed to be a communist and would let the Soviets in.

I do worry about the Mslem Brotherhood, but I think that we make too much of it. How many times do you hear the line "at least he is secular" when refering to some Arab dictator. Enough of that.

Granted, I thought we needed to stay out of the iranian situation and I still think that was the right thing for the president to do. But Egypt is different in that we support the government with aid and need Egypt if we wish to see peace between the Israelis and Palestinians. Which is why 6 years ago I thought we should have brought pressure on Mubarak to retire at the end of his tem, and have his son find a job in Europe. Mubarak could have spent the last 6 years doing the elder statesman game, Davos, the Bilderburgers, and wherever else the self important hold court on high pronouncing how to save the world while the rest of us ignore them. He would be an honored guest at Davos now, instead of hunkering down in Cairo.

Oh well, stability uber alles. We are all grizzled foreign policy realists now, not idealistic neocons, right?

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    There are alternatives to the grizzled practitioners of real politik and neocon conceptions. I think it used to be called human rights.

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Wouldn't be the first time a group got around to the front of a protest and took charge. With no organized oppostion within Egypt, I agree that the MB is the only organization large enough to replace the regime, should it fall. Some may be wary of its general policy of non-aggression, especially with some more recent pronouncements. With many new regimes, the commitment to non-violence & permitting opposition ends when they experience actual power.

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I don't disagree at all and I certainly don't think MB is "cuddly", but I think far too much is being made of them as a bogeyman-in-waiting. Egypt is huge and diverse.

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I just read the wiki entry for muslim brotherhood and it, in my opinion, paints a far more peaceful organization that it actually is and has been. I don't know what sources you are relying on for your opinion, but if it is wikipedia, you may want to do a little more research.

17. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    El Baradei does represent the sort of respected, moderate figure around which the protesters can coalesce. I think the best hope is for Mubarak to leave and for a coalition government including El Baradei and others to take over on a transitional basis until internationally supervised elections can be held. There is a clear path for this to be worked out quickly, but it involves Mubarak leaving or being pushed out.

18. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Not Wiki. They're not "cuddly", but neither are they vicious theocrats.

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I don't think you really get it. Here's a link to one of Lawrence Wright's writings, and you should also check out his book, which in my opinion is the standard on violent islamic fundamentalism.

http://www.lawrencewright.com/art-zawahiri.html

21. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not a fan of neoconservatism either....but Zionists/pan-Arabists are not racists. Zionism is simply the belief that a Jewish state is legitimate in Israel. That simple. There was militant Zionism but that no longer exists...and pan-Arabism lost a significant amount of its legitimacy with Saddam's invasion of Kuwait.

22. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Borussia, the Iranian Revolution DID change the world. IMO, it was the second most significant revolution in the 20th century (the first being the Soviet revolution in 1917). For one, declassified documents indicate that the Soviet Union invasion of Afghanistan was partly due to the revolution in Iran..without the shah, the Soviet Union didn't have a bulwark against it. The revolutionary regime's mantra was neither America, neither Soviet Union. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan resulted in the rise of al-Qaeda... the IRGC trained and recruited Hezbollah, which has been Israel's most potent enemy. The ayatollahs also gave emotional inspirtation to many budding radical Islamic groups. Organizations need a spiritual haven and Khoemini provided them that inspiration. In addition, the Iran-Iraq war was partly the result of two competing governments who wanted to upend the status-quo. One revolutionary leader seeking to overturn the status quo (in pre-1979, this was Saddam)...but then post-1979, Saddam had an enemy in Khoemini.

23. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
  24. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mani. Great analysis..and which I completely agree.

25. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC