Tulsa Roughnecks are back in the NASL as early spring 2015

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by USRufnex, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tulsa is still in Oklahoma... No Roughneck sightings.

2. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong, but I don't think there has been ANY official breaking news about Tulsa getting a NASL team. This thread has mostly been about
    1) a whole lot of history of a team from a few decades ago
    2) how Tulsa really really really really really really deserves a pro team
    3) apparently some little brother-complex with Oklahoma City

I think the thread went quiet because people were asked to stay on topic and the topic of Tulsa NASL just doesn't exist quite yet.

All that being said, I'm in favor of Tulsa establishing a team! Best of luck!

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #179 USRufnex, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    Close this thread please, SP.

You've already censored it and changed its title.
    The first few pages contained a simple, casual discussion about bringing back the Roughnecks.
    Now its title has been changed against the wishes of the person who started the thread in the first place.

If you feel that strongly about the Tulsa World article from last month, please start your own thread or put it in an NASL news thread.

Thank you.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what should the topic of discussion be for this thread?

Maybe this thread's original purpose didn't belong in the NASL Expansion forum.

Roll with it.

ManuSooner repped this.
  6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow. Just wow.

7. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Commish said yesterday there's still some groups that the NASL are talking to re expansion that may start in 2015, hopefully the Tulsa group is one of them. They still have 4-6 months apparently to enter a team for 2015 although I think 6 months would be cutting it a bit close as it would be just under a year to prepare, unless an invester partners with an existing team like Tulsa Athletics and moves them up to NASL.

8. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #183 USRufnex, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    I'd prefer that the Tulsa Athletics eventually find themselves in the catbird seat rather than the servants' quarters... a scenario that seems unlikely to happen over the course of the next 4-6 months...

Not interested in supporting any professional soccer team run by Jeff Lund.
    Here are just two of the reasons why...

Summer 2006....
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/...cle_9c315c84-ff9e-563f-a16d-21a094a9b0eb.html

Bitterness lingers between Talons co-owners Paul Ross and Henry Primeaux and former owner Jeff Lund. Ross and Primeaux say Lund misrepresented the condition of the franchise and the two Tulsa businessmen believe they were overcharged when they bought the team in 2004. Lund disagrees....

But Ross and Primeaux said they took over a franchise in shambles -- without a radio contract less than a month before the start of the season, and with only a third of the corporate sponsorships and season ticket sales to operate on a break-even basis.

Tulsa fans rankled when the new
    (ed: OKC Yard Dawgz arena football) franchise snapped up Strickland and most of the stars from the 2003 championship team. That made it seem like the Talons had moved to Oklahoma City, leaving Tulsa with an expansion team.

Summer 2013....

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_6bf584c1-4c18-559d-9dec-79d5afc29c9e.html

"They were looking for a change," Rodney Steven said of Oilers management. "The old owner (Jeff Lund) has been here a long time and he supported this town for a long time. This is a time for someone else to step in and support this team."...

It was just two years ago the Steven Brothers filed a lawsuit against the former
    (ed: Wichita) Thunder owners, WIHO LLC and Jeffrey Lund. According to published court documents, WIHO and Lund hired people to erase files from the computers pertaining to the financial situation of the Thunder hockey team.

9. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    The more you read through this thread, the more it appears like an homage and a desire by some to bring back the name of this team. That is fine. Everyone is entitled to wish. But let's put this to rest already as the title is misleading and there really is no concrete evidence that the league is pursuing Tulsa as an expansion, since they already are working with OKC. Like I previously said, the least that can happen is the OKC franchise buying the Roughnecks name and carrying on the legacy. (Go ahead, lash out all you want. Don't really care. But it is the more plausible approach.) Good luck OKC.

ManuSooner repped this.
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. This thread is to discuss NASL Tulsa Expansion.
    2. An ownership group has been identified and media has already reported it.
    3. Failure to stay on topic will result in posts deleted and/or warnings to the poster(s).

Bluesfan repped this.
  11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    #186 brentgoulet, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Probably not in the NASL ?

[​IMG]

Brian Straus‏@BrianStraus

Expect Tulsa to be named site of USL Pro expansion team for 2015, perhaps today. League is growing fast.

12. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Press conference today.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is that B &W graphic of Ronald Reagan saying "not this.... Again?"

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Athletics nation- There will be an announcement today that in 2015 a group calling themselves the "Tulsa Roughnecks" will enter the picture in our town as a USL Pro team. I would like to make it clear where the Athletics stand on the matter. Firstly, the Roughnecks name is something that is very special to me personally. As a child I was one of many who was profoundly affected by the team coming to our city. Their presence here is the sole reason that I played soccer as a child, professionally, and is essentially the impetus to the forming of the Tulsa Athletics. Victor Moreland is like a father to me. I played for Steve Earle in my youth. I count Billy Caskey and Charlie Mitchell as friends. And like many, I've shared a cold beer with "the boomer" Alan Woodward. The Roughnecks name is sacred to me and to this city.

That being said...The Tulsa Athletics want to bring an MLS franchise to Tulsa. We've been clear about that from the beginning. We are your team. Your support affirms that the love for the game still runs strong through the veins of Tulsa and is the sole reason why we work as hard as we do for this club. Today's announcement as interesting as it may seem, does not actually affect the way we'll approach anything. We're still going continue to improve our stadium, grow our fan base, and put a fantastic product on the field. I am a Tulsan. A proud one at that. If a group from Oklahoma City thinks that Athletics Nation is going to lay down and quit, then they have read myself and Tulsans all wrong. We made a commitment to you to bring top level soccer to Tulsa, and we will carrying on doing that. Like a former Roughneck just told me on the telephone, "Just because they're called the Roughnecks, doesn't make them the Roughnecks".

Yours in soccer,
    Sonny Dalesandro

15. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The plot thickens.

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to think, just a couple of weeks ago, Prodigal was a good bunch of guys that had been hard done by the

The only time top level soccer comes to Oklahoma is when an MLS team visits.

Well, it kinda does, just not the Roughnecks of y'all's nostalgic youth.

Kinda like the Current Sounders/Timbers/Whitecaps/Cosmos

Who :p

17. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Er, uh... no.
    They're just trying to beat Brad and Jeff to the punch in Tulsa... both OKC groups suck in this regard.

18. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Bob? You STILL have Lund On The Brain and REFUSE to admit that it isn't either one of them that will screwing you.

The Devil's Architect repped this.
  19. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #194 USRufnex, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    I had a thirty minute meeting with Jeff a couple of weeks ago and have exchanged several emails with Brad.
    I remain skeptical and am still perfectly comfortable questioning their motives.
    IMHO, their highest priority is to battle Funk Jr and USL Pro which is not good for the sport or the city of Tulsa.

It's entirely possible, however, that over the next few months the Lunds and Sonny/Tulsa Athletics will have a "Come to Jesus" moment. At that point (and no sooner), all will be forgiven. Until then, I will fear any future news of a new Tulsa NASL team playing at Chapman Stadium just as I feared yesterday's announcement.

Just so we're clear, I currently prefer a Tulsa USL Pro club owned and run by the Tulsa Drillers/Hubbard brothers over the prospect of a Tulsa NASL club owned and run by the Lunds.

20. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  21. davideinstein

davideinstein Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma