Tulsa Roughnecks are back in the NASL as early spring 2015

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by USRufnex, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Which apparently you are not tapped into, and you seem you to underestimate the population as a whole.

Of a small group.

Look, I'm leaving it at that. You apparently are under the belief that you have absolute information and insight as to what the future may be for the state, and no one else is nearly as informed. I respect that. To each his own.

We'll see how things go five to ten years from now. Cheers.

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not likely. Outside of Tulsa, Roughnecks Nostalgia approaches zero. Much like the desire of Roughnecks nostalgists desire to be associated with OKC

I bet you won't.

Funny, that seems to be what you're stating.

Whuterrrrr

I guess we will. See you then :rolleyes:

3. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Like I already said, I am leaving it at that. :)

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here we are.

5. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #155 USRufnex, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    Frankly, if a league is going to go all retro and nostalgic on us like the NASL keeps telling us they're attempting to do, the ONLY choice in Oklahoma is Tulsa, NOT Okie City... the rule of thumb is this... Tulsa has double the fanbase and quadruple the history. We are likely the only remaining city not in MLS or the current NASL where an old-NASL retro name might make sense (however, it is NOT a gimme with our fans, some of whom would rather have the name completely retired after the failure of the D-3 USL Roughnecks back in the late 90s). And you won't be hearing any debate in Jacksonville about re-naming their team the "Tea Men" anytime soon...

Please keep in mind that all this hoopla based on a single article in our local newspaper about Tulsa possibly entering the NASL alongside OKC for 2015 is coming from NASL OKC boosters and Lund family members-- and can easily be traced back to the bizarre feud going on between Lund and Funk Jr. joining NASL and USL Pro.

Our fans aren't really all that excited about the prospects of a local hockey guy (Jabba the Lund) running an NASL team the same way he ran the Tulsa Ice Oilers in the Central Hockey League... heck, here's a diehard Oilers hockey season ticket holder commenting on it a few days ago after the newspaper article appeared...
    "Oh lord. Big mistake to allow Jeff anywhere near a sports franchise."
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

With the exception of the Minnesota Kicks and possible exception of the Washington Diplomats, none of the cities you mentioned would have any reason to revive old defunct names from a failed league.

...and Tulsa was definitely one of them, which means they "deem such recognition"... not that it really amounts to a hill of beans looking at the average attendances from Tampa and Ft Lauderdale these days...

First of all, OKC has no soccer history to speak of. The biggest crowd ever to see a game in OKC was 9,300 for an MLS exhibition game in Edmond in 2003 when the city was being considered for an expansion spot. Tulsa drew over 14,000 fans for a similar exhibition the following week-- and 3,500 of those fans signed up for season tickets towards an MLS season ticket drive that ended with over 5,000.

However, you can be forgiven for subscribing to what I'm convinced was Commish Peterson's (naively stupid IMO) view on the subject. I believe he figured getting a team in OKC would cover Tulsa too... this from one of our Tulsa Athletics' fans back in late June... "I followed NASL Commish Peterson on Twitter and he followed me back. So I sent him a direct message to thank him for the follow and mentioned how I wish we could get a team back in Tulsa. He replied "Would OKC satisfy the fans?". Not me. An MLS team in OKC would be something I would follow but not a tier 2 team. Now in Tulsa, I would be all over it."

What does this even mean?

OKC's NASL team is NOT and will not be the state's team.
    The NBA Thunder are the only exception and even that came as a surprise to many who actually know the state...
    Sports leagues that average only a little over 4000 fans per game do NOT have that kind of drawing power-- anywhere.
    Heck, the only way I could get any of my fraternity bro's or music school friends to go see the old NASL Roughnecks (even if it was against the NY Cosmos) was with the additional promise that there'd be a Beach Boys concert afterwards...

MLS someday?... maybe... a minor league soccer team that normally plays at Taft Stadium... er, uh... no.

6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't realize Adrian Hanauer played for the old Seattle Sounders... thanks for the trivia.
    /sarcasm.

7. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #157 USRufnex, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    Where did you get the idea that it's "the league trying to pursue another team in the state" when it's clearly the other way around? USL Pro, on the other hand, has been emphasizing "regional" for awhile now including the desire for a team in Tulsa from the day Holt and Funk Jr announced OKC's expansion team. And in the NASL/Lund versus USL Pro/Funk sweepstakes, stats like these get touted to NASL headquarters...
    [​IMG]

Ummm... soccer fans in NYC, Tampa, Ft Lauderdale... (heck, let's throw in MLS's Seattle, Portland and Vancouver) would be more appreciative towards Roughnecks retro than the average sports fan in OKC.

Again, what does that even mean?

Different teams in MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS do this all the time.
    You are talking about a league that averages less than 5k per game and a team in OKC that will play at a high school venue in 2015. Minor league sports franchises have zero chance to "bring the cities together."

Wrong.

If the new OKC NASL team is in the US Open Cup and playing at Taft Stadium against the Chicago Fire, I'll be in Oklahoma City wearing my Chicago Fire shirt and scarf. I assume that if a new Tulsa NASL team is in the US Open Cup and playing at Chapman Stadium against the Chicago Fire, Mr. Warmth will be in Tulsa wearing his Chicago Fire shirt and scarf.

I would have supported OKC if they got an NHL team back when it looked like that was going to happen. I'm sure there were a few Tulsans who were such bitter rivals of the old Blazers hockey team, that they'd never set foot in OKC to root for their hockey team, even if it were in the NHL. To my knowledge, not many Tulsans go to OKC to see the AHL club these days. In Tulsa, there were quite a few vocal locals who said they'd never go to an OKC Thunder game... fine and dandy, but our downtown bars were filled with Thunder fans the last two seasons during the playoffs....... unfortunately, a few years back when we really could have used some support from the other side of the turnpike for a Tulsa MLS team, OKC decided they were superior and refused to lift a finger to help our efforts.

This is why, IMHO, Oklahoma will NEVER get MLS, whether it be in Tulsa or OKC.
    But the NASL is not the NHL or NBA... or MLS... heck, it's not even the AHL.

8. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer also has two other factors that contrast with other pro sports in America:

1) While the other Big Four leagues are at or near capacity for leagues size, soccer - especially at the lower levels - are in the midst of growth.

When the NBA came to Oklahoma City, most Tulsans (and Lawtonians, Shawneese, and Moore-ons) realized that the Thunder were pretty much the only shot for big-time hoops in the state, and support the local team. This is also due in no small part tot he lack of a statewide following for a favorite NBA team: An NFL team in Oklahoma City or Tulsa would deal with a massive following of lifelong Dallas Cowboy fans - but I digress...

This leads to cities without teams to pursue expansion opportunities, and to jealousy over being passed over (such as what has been going on in Oklahoma City expansion threads for the past four months). Hope usually remains alive, however, as every city considers itself a good spot to put a team in these expanding leagues.

2) Soccer is a community sport, especially for the supporters. As the supporter culture has taken root, most new teams in new markets have seen an immediate appearance of a supporters group (such as what has been doing on in Oklahoma City and Tulsa in the past eight months). The local fans are just that - LOCAL. For these people, the local club - regardless of division - is their own team and should be supported over all others...including those bastards on the other side of the state.

9. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #159 USRufnex, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    Wrong.

I would have had no problem with OKC getting an expansion team in USL-1 a few years ago or USL Pro today (USL was Brad Lund and SOS's first choice over the NASL)... but... as for the NASL... I'm the only Tulsa fan who's ever posted in the OKC NASL expansion threads... and when I post, it's because I know what I'm friggin' talking about...

You guys refuse to look at facts... you'd rather just twist them... Tulsa did not get "passed over."
    That's what OKC people do anytime they attempt to argue their own city's superiority... case in point... the quote in the Tulsa World that said the NASL only wants teams in metro areas of over 1 million? I know for a fact that claim is false.

Tulsa is not "every city."
    The number of cities in this country that actively supported their old NASL clubs would only amount to a handful.
    Of those cities, the only city where kids literally went door to door to raise money back in the day so the team could make payroll was Tulsa.
    The number of cities that were finalists for the original MLS numbered less than twenty.
    Tulsa was one of eighteen.
    Kudos to Peter Wilt for the 7k in season tickets... Tulsa had 5k in 2003 for an MLS team that failed to materialize.

Yes Virginia... this city-- its fans and the former players who built up the youth clubs for the last twenty friggin years... DESERVES A TEAM.
    Unfortunately we have a new NASL that sees fit to rip off the names of old teams in an attempt to connect to a history and legacy it simply doesn't have... well, here's some history for you.... the 1982 NASL Southern Division...

Southern Division W L GF GA PT
    Fort Lauderdale Strikers 18 14 64 74 163
    Tulsa Roughnecks
    16 16 69 57 151
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    12 20 47 77 112
    Jacksonville Tea Men 11 21 41 71 105

Tulsa didn't have a wealthy sugar daddy on board at the same time OKC did.
    If Tulsa did, they'd have a team... especially in a retro league whose logo is recycled from the 1970s.
    Especially in a league that has a Tampa Bay Rowdies team, a Ft Lauderdale Strikers team whose name was changed from Miami FC, and now a New York Cosmos team...

And I tell you what... you'd be pretty pissed too. You'd be pretty pissed too if it were OKC that had all the old NASL history and legacy and it was Tulsa that had never drawn a crowd of more than 9,300 for soccer. You'd be pretty pissed too if it was an Oklahoma City FC team that had been averaging over 3,000 fans per game last summer for PDL while at the very same time Tulsa was averaging 1,200 for NPSL. You'd be pretty pissed too if your supporters group had double the membership... you'd be pretty pissed too when you login to facebook and see that both your team and supporters group have more than double the number of followers on their respective facebook pages...

If Tulsa had secured an NHL expansion slot over OKC at the very same time the Blazers were far outdrawing the Ice Oilers, you'd also be pretty pissed... and I would have agreed with you.

Tulsa supports OKC's NBA team... OKC should theoretically support any Tulsa efforts at an MLS team... but you don't... which is why you suck.

10. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I know that nobody probably cares what I think, but here goes...IF Tulsa gets into the NASL in 2015, OK. If they don't, OK. I just don't give a crap anymore whether they do, or don't. I'm worried about MY team, and that's pretty much it. I want OKC to succeed. I don't really care if Tulsa does, or not. Mean-spirited? I say Nay. IF they get into the league it will affect, at best, two games per year. Tulsa in the NASL will NOT make, or break, OKC. Let them come to NASL, or go to USL-Pro, or stay in NPSL, or grow mushrooms in their crack. I just don't care any more.

11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this proves is that Tulsans are bandwagonning glory hounds. ;)

Don't hurt his feelings with your opinions. :thumbsup:

Truths:D

Umm, what? When was this? In 1995 or in 2003 when Funk & Several Unnamed Co-Conspirators were supposedly just 10 million dollars and a stadium short of landing an MLS team over OKC and Salt Lake? :confused:

If we're talking about either time frame, from both a ticket sales catchment area and economic geography standpoint, Tulsa hasn't ever made sense for an "Oklahoma" team. 1995 MLS Tulsa would likely have been Old Yeller'ed like Tampa or Miami. What kind of "help" were you expecting?

Most likely, you are correct, unless someone in the Thunder ownership or other similar personal wealth range, decided they want to locate a team in Tulsa or OKC

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's because you're really angry that no one cares about the Roughnecks or any Tulsa team, at any level.

Of course Tulsa never got passed over. They were never in the running when the time to have an I/O was at hand.

When you think about it, that's kinda sad. Not enough paying customers so you have to go out with the UNICEF donation cartons

Which is the selection level where the I/O was required, and that number dropped instantly to 10, thankfully saving the world from the "Chicago Rhythm"

If only those had been actual deposits, you know, checks that were cashed and credit cards that were billed and had to be refunded, not a card with "I would be 4 season tickets - John Smith" on it. Those are vapor tickets.

There is no such thing as "deserves", there is only meeting the entry requirements. Something that neither OKC/Tulsa are likely to meet.

Sadly, this doesn't matter to very many people, even in Tulsa.

This bothers you a lot more than it should.

Where would said Tulsa NHL team have played? Tulsa didn't bother improving it's public performance facilities until not just OKC, but other regional markets started improving their facilities that Tulsa decided to get on the ball.

Outside of the purchase of Thunder merchandise, bars full of people swilling beer and chowing on food, watching on TV, really isn't supporting, when you think about it. It's great for those bar owners and their vendors, but not really for the Thunder or OKC. It's whatever # of people drive from the Tulsa MSA to attend Thunder games

TheJoeGreene and Brother Badgerjohn repped this.
  13. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #164 USRufnex, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    There's a typo or two up in there somewhere, or maybe it's a level of snark I can't yet translate or fully comprehend... :confused:

In 1994, when Tulsa was a finalist for a league owned team, it made no attempt to secure assistance from anyone in OKC because Okie City was still in its media-induced "soccer-is-a-pinko-commie-liberal-sport-that-will-turn-your-children-gay" psychosis... Back then, when I was living on the northside of Chicago, I just assumed Tulsa was closer to #18 in the original MLS pecking order than #12 or #11 but found out differently years later... the Tulsa bid group was Charlie Mitchell, Pat Schnake, and Francis Rooney... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Rooney

Needless to say, I bet Mr. Rooney was pretty damned stoked when he first got wind of Alan Rothenberg's proposed paradigm shift in tactics for America's new pro soccer league. This shift included the future spending of tens of millions of dollars on soccer specific stadia to replace the old Woosnam-era practice of throwing obscenely large sums of money at over-the-hill international soccer stars while maintaining bad leases at cavernous stadiums that NASL franchises had no control over.

If you're asking my thoughts on Bob Funk Sr being $10 million short of getting an MLS team over Tulsa and SLC in 2003, let's just say very few people at that time would have bet that Garber would extend the season deep into the fall which effectively made the whole Express Sports' Wantland Stadium proposal to share the field with one college and three high schools untenable. IMHO, the Redhawks baseball situation gave Bob Funk Sr. an easy out...

Yes, Tulsa could have been like Tampa and Miami... or San Jose... or Kansas City, or Dallas or Denver. Truth is, we'll never really know... just like we'll never know what really happened when Manhattan Construction met with TU to discuss converting the field to grass... but I should probably shuddup now...
    [​IMG]

Tulsa's Mayor LaFortune wanted to lobby the state for an enterprise zone/star bonds at the same time the ideas for Vision2025 were being put together but that went nowhere due to OKC's bid (although Gov Henry would only mention "budget concerns" at the time). LaFortune mentioned "creative financing" and specifically wanted to use methods that helped build the Kansas Speedway in KC, KS.

And, the LaFortune administration moved forward to partner with Global Equity Partners of DC in the summer of 2006 for a TIF district that would have transformed 110 acres of downtown eyesore and surface parking into a mixed use development that would finance the 22,500 seat soccer stadium. But Global turned out to be better at spending other people's money than making it by themselves, much to the chagrin of MLS, LaFortune, and heck, even Peter Wilt and the good folks in Milwaukee. All of this was happening while OKC had zero chance at MLS... and the people at Tulsa's LLC dedicated to partner with DC knew that folks like Drew Carey were far more likely to be seriously interested in this idea than anyone who lived and/or worked in the state capital.

Sadly, yes. I am probably correct on this one. I don't want to be.
    For well over a decade, I've thought that the best possible prospects for longterm success in the state of Oklahoma for professional sports would be an NHL team with OKC's name on it, and an MLS team with Tulsa's name on it.
    And some limited state financial support for both.

You probably heard some conventional wisdom from former Tulsans... some as unfair as the conventional wisdom among Tulsans that OKC's MAPS only succeeded because of an outpouring of public support that followed the OKC bombing..... nice try, but largely inaccurate. America moved to the suburbs, not just Tulsa... and large swaths of south Tulsa were opened up for suburban style development with schools outside the jurisdiction of TPS. A big chunk of Jenks Public School district is inside the Tulsa city limits, and of course there's Union Public School District... listen, I believe young Tulsans in the 70s and 80s were fed a line of bull with a constant "Oil Capital of the World" and "America's Most Beautiful City" refrain. Many went to college in Norman or Edmond or Stillwater (I was the only of my graduating class to attend OCU)... and most were confused as to why there was such hubris in Tulsa when OKC was a perfectly enjoyable place to live once you knew your way around town.

In the 80s, both cities went from boom to bust... Mayor Norick (R) somehow succeeded in cobbling together and passing MAPS citywide while Democrat Susan Savage proposed a hodge-podge of watered down venues that included a natatorium, an arena, and a 5,000 seat soccer/track & field stadium downtown (that was somehow going to result in an expansion MLS club?... ugh.) The "Tulsa Project" failed miserably on a citywide vote. Then, Savage consolidated a plan called "It's Tulsa Time" which nixed the soccer and natatorium and failed narrowly on a citywide vote. Enter new Republican mayor LaFortune... and a plane trip from Mark Abbott to lobby LaFortune on the soccer stadium and the potential for MLS if we simply build the stadium first. Tulsans from the suburbs were frustrated that they didn't get to vote for/against the proposals in the 90s and were also frustrated at downtown-only projects... it also didn't help that downtown wasn't really in the middle of the city and had an elitist reputation (no BBQ or family style steakhouses downtown but plenty of quiche and sushi). The only substantial proposal for Vision2025 that wasn't included was the 22,500 seat soccer stadium, and I believe local politicians were afraid the soccer stadium part of the proposal could have become a lightning rod for opposition. The idea was never shelved, only modified...

Enter Mayor Kathy Taylor (D), who didn't quite understand that LaFortune's winning coalition of moderate suburban Republicans made a countywide vote for Vision2025 the preferred method of passage for him but wouldn't work for her. The next proposal was labeled "George Kaiser's River Tax" and was narrowly defeated countywide when the project actually would have passed on a citywide vote. That said, Taylor's behind-the-scenes work moving City Hall to the "dirty ice cube" and efforts to get a new downtown ballpark in place over a proposal from Jenks was borderline brilliant. I also believe her endorsement of the NBA Thunder was a crucial move that made way for the relocation of a WNBA team here. Too bad Tulsa has proved to be a weak market for women's basketball... I believe our NPSL game at the old ballpark against a team from Plano that calls itself "Liverpool" drew more "butts-in-seats" than the WNBA game at the BOk Center that same Saturday night...
    [​IMG]

15. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whelp, this convinces me. Tulsa DESERVES :rolleyes: a NASL team (or a MLS team or a second WNBA team or whatever you are talking about). Just enough with the rants already. Nobody cares.

Just let us know when there is actual news or something real happening.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep on topic or posts will be deleted.

It's easy, Tulsa NASL. Discuss.

ManuSooner repped this.
  17. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though I've in the OKC area for most of my life I believe that NASL and Tulsa would be great for each other. Geographically, it would connect what will be the SW teams (OKC, San Antonio) to the Midwest (Indy, Minn).

Also, the city has a great soccer history and brought in great crowds and a good squad this year in the NPSL. Based on what I've read and other research I've done, it looks like an ownership group is coming together for Tulsa.

The big question for me is, which stadium will they use? I think it would be cool if they spruced up the old Drillers Stadium like the Timbers field. But if my memory is correct, I believe there was an issue with Tulsa County. I think USRufNex or other members of the Tulsa's supporter's group could provide better insight.

brentgoulet repped this.
  18. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Do you have any inside info as to whether the ownership group will be able to get a franchise up-and-running in Tulsa by 2015? How much do you know based on you research?

19. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  20. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My research was based on info provided to me by sources I have developed. I have covered the OKC PDL, USL and NASL teams this year and previously handled some MLS & USL stuff at another publication.

Specific to this situation, I was informed that a group was in the early stages of trying to join NASL and get the Roughnecks name if possible. With recent developments about the name, they may or may not get it.

However, based on the conversations I've had, this group appears to be serious. That is they appear to fit the mold of the OKC NASL ownership in that they are soccer people and have the means to own and operate a club at the D2 level. Also, there could be a connection to the NPSL team. But in my opinion I believe we'll see Tulsa in the NASL soon.

brentgoulet repped this.
  21. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Let's hope that the the Tulsa working group are successful in getting back the name ROUGHNECKS. Without, it will be considered as a fait non accompli.

brentgoulet repped this.
  22. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Only by people who think the new team and the old team have any actual relation to each other.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a team even named Tulsa FC, that was well coached, with exciting players, lots of drive from a stable ownership and decent venue would knock the pants off those 100 or so fans that need their Roughneck fix.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  24. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    First, none of the "100 or so fans" actually need a "Roughneck fix." The old Roughnecks' organization is simply the "elephant in the room" or "the 800 lb gorilla" or perhaps more appropriately in Tulsa's case, the "900 ft Jesus" in the room every time the subject of pro soccer is discussed in T-town. BTW, there are far more than 100 diehard soccer fans in the Tulsa metro area.

Second, the new team and the old team must have an actual relationship with each other. And that has more to do with what has happened since 1993 than anything that took place between 1978 and 1985... http://www.metrotulsasoccer.com/index.php?ct=comp_home http://www.tulsanationals.org/custpage.php?cid=1718 http://www.blitzunited.org/

Third, I'd far rather have a team NOT called the Roughnecks (with grassroots support) than be coerced into supporting a team that has a relationship with the old Roughnecks in name-only...
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_7e301e19-ba72-59d7-9bf9-54a73706b386.html

If you're a Tulsan who wants professional soccer to succeed here, you have to ask yourself a few questions:

1. "What exactly has Jeff Lund ever done to partner with Tulsa's soccer community in the last two decades he's owned the CHL's Tulsa Ice Oilers hockey team?"
    2. "What is Jeff Lund's primary motivation for doing this?"
    3. "Why is Jeff the only person quoted for the Tulsa World article?"

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... fearless leader (the man who, IMHO, has the most potential to one day become Tulsa soccer's PT Barnum) had a birthday yesterday...

[​IMG]

25. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    News on the return of the Tulsa Roughnecks has gone awfully quiet since the news broke out over a month ago. What's the latest?