Tulsa Roughnecks are back in the NASL as early spring 2015

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by USRufnex, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Mr. Warmth:

I'm talking about money that would be available in sports with the fact that Tulsa doesn't have any major professional sports teams in their market like Oklahoma City?

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification.

I disagree with that assumption, but wanted to be clear on what we were discussing.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually try to pay my bills in hugs, paying on line is a bitch now in days.

4. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #129 Laramie, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

So true, ceezmad:

You don't know who to trust anymore; definitely don't use online banking or purchase online. Use money orders to pay bills because you don't know what someone will try to do with your checking account information.

A person who recently got fired could be passing your credit/debit information on to an illegal market.​

5. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.

6. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    #131 Luis_Rancagua, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Sam U El and brentgoulet repped this.
  7. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    K...they didn't mention that fact that in order for JEFF Lund to get the use of the name Roughnecks he will have to get it from BRAD Lund's adversary, Bob Funk who now apparently owns the name.

8. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Yeah! You're right. His major adversary owns the name Roughnecks. However, the article does state that Lund is now negotiating with someone to get the name back. Does it mean that Lund is presently negotiating directly with Bob Funk for the Roughnecks name. This is what's not clear with the story in this article.

9. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why on earth did the NASL let the name lapse?

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good

11. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Funk get the Roughnecks name, or just apply for it?

12. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The old Tulsa Roughnecks can't be revived. This is a brand new club that may or may not exist in the future and may or may not be called the Roughnecks.

kenntomasch repped this.
  13. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorta the same line you used with the Cosmos... Get a new record. That one is broken.

14. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    What are the possibilities that the announcement of the return of the Tulsa Roughnecks is made on the day of their 30th anniversary of their championship victory? This is a huge event for the history of the club.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if Lund and Ross can wrestle away the Roughnecks name from Funk/Prodigal and they have made the in-roads and progress they claim, their chances are high!

;)

16. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Hmm... This conversation about the Tulsa Roughnecks is intriguing. However, there are a lot of things to contemplate about this pursuit.

With the new OKC NASL team, is there a necessity from the NASL to pursue yet another in Oklahoma? It's a great state, and there are two large cities, but the league may look to other opportunities in states and cities that are without a team, particularly farther out west.

The idea of trying to revive every single name in the former NASL is something that I don't believe the current league is attempting to do. Or else, Virginia (Washington DC), Edmonton, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Minnesota, and San Antonio would all have the names of their predecessors. It is also not an obligation by any prospect to the league to pursue previous names. There were only a handful of clubs that really personified the league, and currently they are present. There may be just a couple more that are in other places that may deem such recognition.

Further, if the goal is to merely build on the history, then that can be merged to OKC NASL. It can at least be done conceptually as a team that represents both Tulsa and OKC or the state of Oklahoma. If they want to go even deeper, then the club (different from team) can be named the Tulsa Roughnecks. The name would be officially transferred over to OKC NASL as a renamed club. Then the history would fall under them. Still, this is all unnecessary.

The new OKC club is a fresh start for a new generation and a chance for the older generation to come together. The team will represent the whole state on behalf of the league.

Funk wants to squat, let him. That doesn't change the fact that OKC now has a team and so does the state on behalf of the NASL which will also play in the US Open Cup.

Maybe OKC NASL can play a couple of home games at Tulsa to bring the game as closely as possible to both cities.

Just a thought.

17. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  18. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tulsa fans would never support a soccer team in Oklahoma City, or vice versa. There is a strong rivalry between to two cities that has manifested itself in soccer already...even though to two cities have yet to play a single competitive match. If an Oklahoma City team took the Roughnecks name (and ESPECIALLY if it proclaimed itself Oklahoma's Team), Tulsa would riot. An OKC team friendly in Tulsa would draw nothing.

brentgoulet repped this.
  19. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Please. When you decide to quote me, I ask that you quote exactly what I write. I know you were simply attempting to summarize what you thought I said, but what you wrote is not what I stated. It really changes the whole context of the message I was bringing. I never said that "one team should be good enough for Oklahoma" or asked "Isn't one team good enough for Oklahoma?" That is a very negative approach. There is a history in the state and in Tulsa which I know and respect in regard to the game of soccer.

What I did speak of was the league trying to pursue another team in the state when they are currently trying to move further out west. And they are trying to find additional states and cities where the game is not served by a professional league. I continued to bring light that the teams of the current NASL don't have to carry over the names of the previous teams. Simply paying homage by the new team to the Roughnecks would be positive (they can have special days where they wear their colors, or invite old members, or create a theme around them to acknowledge the tradition - much like the Chicago Fire does for the Chicago Sting). I also mentioned that if there was a need for some to try to make a direct connection between the teams, then they can pursue some form of legal lineage. And I continued to say that even then it really wasn't necessary, especially if it meant having to trouble themselves with dealing with Funk (possibly for an unforeseeable time). I finalized by saying that the new team could play some home games at Tulsa to try to bring the cities together. Different teams from different sports do this all the time.

With your assumption that Tulsa will not support OKC or vice versa is just an opinion, which is respected. However, if the new OKC Nasl team is in the US Open Cup winning against other teams and leagues, then many people from across the state, including in Tulsa, would rally in support of them.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If an ownership group in Tulsa can get a good stadium deal (5K plus) and can meet the financial requirements, then Tulsa will get a NASL (at least a vote on it).

NASL would love teams in Western cities, but ownership groups need to step up.

brentgoulet repped this.
  21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get saucy with me, Bearnaise

There is no reason for any OKC team to do that.

It's an opinion backed up with a lot of sentiment that you're apparently not tapped into.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Only time will tell. But do know that the league is looking with more intent at other markets.

When you nicely ask, next time I will pass over the Grey Poupon.

Never said that there was an obligation for OKC to do this, only that if desired, it can be done.

More opinion.

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There would need to be desire.

Think of it as a well documented estimate.