Tulsa Roughnecks are back in the NASL as early spring 2015

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by USRufnex, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  2. TetsuoShima

TetsuoShima New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    St. louis Metro East
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey if there is an ownership group in tulsa and they have a good plan for a team.. I'd be all the happier for it.. Might turn into a nice rival for St. Louis. With in driving distance for an away game. :p

3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see that. I mean, new league, new era, but still. TU is a very good team, and I'm sure it has a good following. ORU I don't know anything about, but it's there. I know OU doesn't seem to have men's soccer, but does OSU? Oklahoma seems to have a more than adequate soccer history and culture.

A while back, they had a KCW match. Not sure if that was in Tulsa or OKC, but it drew well.

I know there has been discussion in both cities about some level of pro soccer, but it seems to always hit a snag. Can anyone address this? I'm not sure what the proposals and gripes are.

Hope you guys get a team.

4. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    ^ agreed

Tulsa or OKC would be good towns to set up in, also somewhere like Omaha or Des Moines; places without pro sports and close to St. Louis ;)

5. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Here's the Tulsa ballpark, 10,997 capacity........ [​IMG]

Survey backs fun, games at stadium
    Family entertainment is wanted at the ex-baseball field, it shows.
    By KEVIN CANFIELD World Staff Writer
    Published: 11/30/2009 2:28 AM
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...1_Drille458395
    And here's the 2003 KCW-DAL exhibition game from Skelly Stadium...
    MLS: Kudos to Wizards, Tulsa
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...d=29&articleid=030406_Sp_B1_Kudos&archive=yes

[​IMG]

6. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Tulsa just knocked SLU out of the NCAAs in a crazy back-and-forth game, it'd be cool to see a rivalry develop at the pro level, too.

7. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm all for that. But, man, that old logo is ugly.:D

8. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ya, that logo just screams 1970s! :p

BTW, there was talk about putting a USL-1 team in Tulsa, but I'm not sure how serious that actually is, given the current instability of the USL itself.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are former Roughneck stars Alan Woodward and David McCreery?

10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McCreery

11. ElCommandante

ElCommandante New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Here are the Roughneck logos from their time in the USL:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that some of the people involved with the USL version of the Roughnecks are now involved with a WPSL team, the Tulsa Spirit and talked about maybe getting back into USL with a guy's team. However, the folks that I talked to at the league HQ at the time essentially said "they weren't the right kind of investors". I can believe this because when I interviewed them for an article the information was minimal at best.

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    "they weren't the right kind of investors".

It would be wrong to award the TULSA ROUGHNECKS BRAND to a bunch of low budget amateurs

But if I want the Roughnecks back? Yes of course, but NOT a PDL or NPSL or USASA level

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of the Thunder or the WNBA team owners, is there any other OK sports-friendly business man out there?

15. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Winnercomm was a sponsor of the aforementioned 2003 MLS exhibition game at Skelly Stadium. The first MLS weekly highlights shows were broadcast from Winnercomm's studios in Tulsa, OK.

They sold out their majority ownership a few years ago after they acquired SkyCam from Philly and moved it to Broken Arrow, OK. Winnercomm is now owned by The Outdoor Channel.

TV client buys Winnercomm
    Outdoor Channel pays an undisclosed sum for the Tulsa company.
    By ROBERT EVATT World Staff Writer
    Published: 1/13/2009
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=52&articleid=20090113_52_E1_Winner59837

Read on.....
    http://www.winnercomm.com/2006/about_history.asp

I believe the contacts and valuable production work done by locals for NASL visiting team broadcasts in Tulsa helped Winnercomm get off the ground in 1982. Co-founder Chris Lincoln is back doing sports at KTUL-8, although he surely doesn't need the money at this point.

Chris Lincoln in 1978...... and St Louisan Bob Carpenter...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PfWlYYuQ4"]YouTube- NASL 1978 Playoff pregame - Tulsa at Minnesota[/ame]

IMHO, getting these Winnercomm guys on board will be VERY IMPORTANT. Maybe NASL can use Outdoor Channel as an alternative to FSC, or use both.

I hear rumor that the Winnercomm locals kept control of Skycam for the $$$ while parting with majority ownership of the other aspects of the company.

I doubt they'd want to own the new Roughnecks, but would want to be integrally involved in anything that could make them or their parent company some $$$.

I don't think it would be wise to go to the Drillers' owner or to Cameron Box Sports at this point (both Cameron and Box are OKC businessmen, BTW). They're more likely interested in getting their teams and their new digs off the ground and it would probably be in their financial interests if the old ballpark at the fairgrounds were bulldozed and replaced with surface parking. The new headquarters of Arenafootball 1 will be in Tulsa and Cameron Box Sports are also majority owners of the Tulsa Talons....

Lucky for us, I believe bulldozing the ballpark would be political suicide for the county commissioners. And I haven't seen any sign of partnerships between Winnercomm and WNBA or Arenafootball 1 at this point.

I believe the best way to get a stable and solid local ownership group in Tulsa is if one of the stronger owners of NASL becomes a majority owner in Tulsa for 1-2 years, then tries to sell the team to the locals. This was how the Roughnecks were sold to Carl Moore and Co. in 1980, and it was what out of state owners were hoping for when the 1991-92 Tulsa Ambush attracted 3,300 fans per game indoors for the NPSL-- the team went 7-33 and any perspective local owners with the $$$ were put off by NPSL's minor league status, anticipating a possible league owned team in MLS. Meanwhile, the Ambush moved to St Louis.... Tulsa was a finalist for the original MLS, but TU only offered to do a requested stadium conversion from artificial turf to grass if the soccer people would pay for it. They didn't have the $$$, and it didn't happen.

If guys like Wellman and Fisher and Saputo, etc etc can play their cards right, an NASL team can succeed here in ways USL-1 or USL-2 wouldn't have had available to them.....

Regardless, it's going to be an uphill battle; in another stroke of luck, we are getting a new mayor.... oh, and one of the current Tulsa County commissioners was former mayor LaFortune's liason to MLS back in 2002-2003.....

Fingers crossed.

NASL people..... ARE YOU READING THIS?!?

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  18. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Tulsa WNBA team name choices!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...tid=413&articleid=20091129_29_B1_Theown611133

Shock, Fire, and Tempo....... I'm betting on Shock because....... well....

Fire? I understand naming a Chicago team the Fire, but what does "Fire" mean here in Tulsa?!?
    [​IMG]

Tempo?
    [​IMG]

I personally would vote for "Lightning" but somebody must've veto'd that one.......

Hmmm.... Tulsa Tweekers has a nice WNBA ring to it.....

[​IMG]

19. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was told by the folks at the University of Central Oklahoma that there were a couple of interested parties for the MLS during the 2003-04 round of expansion. I know that Hunt Sports Group was here a lot during the process but as far as locals go it was mainly Bob Funk, owner of the Blazers AA hockey team (and soon to be AAA hockey team) and co-owner of the AAA baseball team, the Redhawks. He is also the founder of Express Employment Professionals (http://www.expresspros.com).

There was also a group of private investors from Edmond, OK (northern suburb of OKC) who remain anonymous to this day.

Sometime into the process the baseball team came up for sale and a deal came together quickly for Funk to buy the team with Scott Pruitt, a lawyer and former Tulsa area state senator. When Funk was out, MLS had major concerns over getting enough money for a solid bid. Back then the fee was $10 million I believe.

The private group kept trying for about another year but was unable to raise the cash. Essentially they could easily afford a second division team but from what I can tell it's not an appealing option at this time. I think someone has to show that soccer can be profitable here even if it is at a low level, say NPSL, etc.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about OKC's soccer background, but if Tulsa is thought of as too small, maybe OKC could be home to the "Oklahoma Roughnecks" instead

22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, come to think of it, I do know OKC's soccer background. The Daily Oklahoman was pretty hostile to the sport of soccer in Tulsa when the Roughnecks were around and for years after that.

When Tulsa won Soccer Bowl '83, it was front page news in Tulsa..... the Daily Oklahoman gave us a tiny one column story in its sports pages.... they consistently took the storyline that soccer was a pinko-commie sport and years later blamed "soccer moms" for re-electing Clinton... I went to see a few Oklahoma City Slickers games at Taft Stadium back in the late 80s. There was never a reason to think OKC could be a good soccer market until Brad Lund tried to get Bob Funk/Express Sports to bring MLS to the city in 2002-2003.

But when Tulsa's soccer specific stadium for MLS was left out of the city's Vision2025 tax initiative in 2003, I was rooting for OKC to get a team because I felt the city was only going to use MLS as a steppingstone to get the NHL or NBA. Give MLS OKC a few years, and the team would eventually relocate to Tulsa after the "new" wore off....

I get tired of explaining this to people, but simply going down a list of metro population statistics with a buncha pencil pushers doesn't tell the story of which markets would work best for MLS or NASL or USL-1 or USL-2....

For the original MLS 15 years ago, Columbus came out with the best plan and most number of season ticket deposits. So, they got a team in 1996, while cities like Philly and Houston and Atlanta and St Louis didn't. Tulsa was a finalist and had more season ticket deposits than Seattle... OKC didn't submit a bid.

Why is Rochester a soccer city while Buffalo is not?

p.s. I would love to see a successful soccer franchise operating out of Edmond, OK.... just don't call them the Roughnecks, they don't deserve the name.

23. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    It's really a shame that a pro rivalry never happened.
    I think a soccer rivalry with St Louis would be more popular here than one with OKC..... and Tulsans traditionally hate OKC.

The NASL St Louis Stars moved to Anaheim to become the California Surf in 1978, which was the same year Team Hawaii moved to Tulsa. When Tulsa tried twice to join the MISL and play the St Louis Steamers, the league told them the city was too small. Of course, they already had the Wichita Wings playing in that league, so I assume having the MISL in Wichita prevented that league from approving a team to play in Tulsa.

Quite a few of the Tulsa Roughnecks' American players were from SLU, and Tulsa ended up getting an indoor NPSL team in 1992. I'm pretty sure Coach Mac played for the Ambush, then the team moved to St Louis......

A St Louis/Tulsa rivalry would be great for the sport, but only if the Tulsa team isn't stuck playing at a high school football stadium. I believe a USL-2 team would fail miserably here, just like it did ten years ago...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_Roughnecks_(USISL)

I assume the people mentioned by adoptedsooner who "weren't the right kind of investors" included Mr. Amini (Amini's Galleria sells pool tables, etc) http://www.aminis.com/aminis-locations.html
    ...and current Tulsa Spirit coach Ali Adibi, who was the last Tulsan to my knowledge to "own" the Roughnecks' trademark.

Laramie repped this.
  24. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  25. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was referencing the Tulsa Spirit, http://www.okfalconsfc.com/index.php

When I interviewed him about his team's plans to enter the USL he only said they would do PDL first and then USL-2 or USL-1 a couple years later. When I asked who the owners/investors were, I believe he said there were three people but he refused to elaborate. Abidi also said the team was looking into buying its own stadium somewhere in the Tulsa area.

Later, I asked Matt Weibe of USL about this group, he said they weren't the kind of investors the league was looking for. Furthermore, I know of others in Tulsa who don't want to run/own a team with Abidi. Additionally, one source said he owns the rights to the Roughnecks name, etc as he was coach of the most recent incarnation of the Roughnecks.