Trying to Find the La Liga club for me.

Discussion in 'Spain: Clubs' started by ArizonaFußballFan, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have been a casual follower of La Liga for almost 2 full seasons now but really haven't found that club that picks me as one of it's supporters. I would like to do it between now and the beginning of the 2010 season.

I know I do not want anything to do with Real Madrid or Barcelona. That would be too easy.

I do admit to having enjoyed Valencia and Sevilla whenever I have watched them but something hasn't totally won me over. I haven't ruled either out though.

I do like the thought of finding a club that will have, if they don't already, have the potential to do well regularly in Europe in either the Champions League or Europa League.

I know the La Liga will usually be a 2 horse race between Barcelona and Real madrid so I am realistic that my club might not have the greatest chance to win the league.

I love how most of the La Liga plays an attractive form of football.

I also like to think that the club that I select plays in a city that would be enjoyable to visit once a year on vacation to sight see along with taking in at least one match.

I am open to all suggestions.

I have p2p internet options as well as Gol tv and ESPN Deportes so I know I have the ability to view many of the clubs in action.

2. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am trying to learn as much about as many of the clubs as possible.

Thanks again for any suggestions.:)

3. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone else had a similar thread; if I stumble upon it I'll post it.

4. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think I saw it but it lead nowhere. People obviously went with the simple options of going for Barcelona or Real Madrid as you would see them more often, have easier time to buy their merchandise,etc.

I won't use that excuse. First off, I don't like either club despite enjoying the style of play of Barcelona.

As for tv, Gol tv and ESPN Deportes shows at least 3 if not 4 matches each weekend so lack of tv isn't a problem.

I have been using the travel thread though as I do find it very interesting how so many things affect people's allegiance in the La Liga although I am not very much into politics.

5. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, I'm mainly a Valencia supporter myself (although I have sympathy towards Deportivo too) so that would be my obvious suggestion :D. But, what are you looking for in a club?

6. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know I don't want it all given to me. I grew up with various clubs in other sports that put you through the ups and downs so I am used to it.

Sure, I would enjoy seeing my club get to do well in the Europa league and/or the Champions League.

1. Awesome loyal fan base
    2. prefer an attractive style of football vs always being one of those clubs that sit 10 men back just hoping to survive a 0-0 draw.
    3. a team that cares about building up their academy especially in this wonderful sport where the huge clubs keep swooping in to take your big name players away every few years.
    4. a team that plays in a city that has various things to do and would be fun to visit every year or so.
    5. upper management that actually cares about their club and supporters.

I will admit that Valencia and Sevilla are both high on my list of possibles as I have enjoyed them both whenever I have seen them on tv. I am alittle concerned with where Valencia are going with all their financial problems.

I sort of feel guilty selecting them thinking that if it wasn't for the Big two, these clubs would seem to almost be guaranteed spots near the top but it hasn't eliminated them though.

I seem to have rambled on but I really want to find that club that finds me so that I can engulf myself even more into this wonderful league.:)

7. maxpepper

maxpepper Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Atletico Madrid

8. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think there's an easy way to find a team to root for...but given what you want in a club, I think you'd like Athletic de Bilbao. ;)
    Athletic is one of the three teams that has been a part of the league since it started, and they've never gone down to segunda (the other two are FCB and RM).

La Magica repped this.
  9. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have definitely considered them and I find it fascinating that they seem to only have local players on the squad.

What is the atmosphere like at their stadium?

I definitely hope to visit my future club and if all goes well, make a visit at least once every year or every other year depending how often I can make it over.

10. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I do know that they would be fun to cheer for them against the big evil squad from Madrid.

11. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I also am glad to notice that there aren't many clubs with those damn track fields around the pitch as I dislike stadiums with those as I want to be relatively close to the pitch when I cheer for my teams.

12. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what style of play are Bilbao known for? I know Valencia are interesting in that aspect as I have enjoyed watching their style of play.

I know there are various clubs in all the big leagues where you have mostly clubs near the bottom that succeed only by playing totally defensive style football and that is of no interest to me.:rolleyes:

13. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Villarreal, but with Pelligrini gone and their financial situation unknown, it could be tough.

Personally, I've become attached to them because they have two Americans (Rossi, Italian-American, and Altidore, loaned out). Also, they play attractive soccer and are overachievers. You want to root for them.

Depor used to be another good choice. Again, financial issues. And Real Sociedad should be returning -- great fan base, great city. Again, financial issues (administration), but they should be ok now. And they certainly have a youth academy (cantera).

No to Santander -- they just rent. First Garay, and now Canales -- players that did well there, were bought by RM, and just directly loaned back.

14. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    1. Check
    2. Check too, under Emery we play attractive football and score lots of goals.
    3. They are progressing lately but it's not one of the main qualitys of Valencia, sadly.
    4.Check, Valencia has lots of places to visit.
    5.I don't know what to say about this, since the new managament has only been in charge for this season.

15. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I do admit that despite the huge possibility of losing Villa and Silva that Valencia are having a hard time being knocked off the top of my list at the moment. If this contest to gain my support was like the Champions League tournament, they would have reached the semi finals.:p

16. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so far, the clubs that have intrigued me the most are:

Valencia(lose a few pts for having had Rafa as their coach), Sevilla, Athletic de Bilbao, Atletico Madrid.

Villarreal just have never perked my interest in the few years I have got to see more La Liga matches. I have no idea why as it isn't like they do anything outright negative in my opinion.

Thanks for everyone throwing in their 2 cents and letting me know even more about many of the clubs.:)

17. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I have been known to keep an eye out on clubs with Americans but for some reason that I can't explain, I have never felt pulled towards villarreal. I am not counting them out though.

18. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Atletico Madrid -- they have played some wonderfully exciting soccer in the last few years, but they just can't get anywhere. It is really baffling. They should be better than they are. Torres, Aguero, Forlan...

Maybe their new stadium will help (but I like the old one! Awesome location).

19. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

When are they due to move to new stadium? How much bigger? I will have to look for a link to read about the details of the stadium.

20. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As Barcelona and Real Madrid are just going way above and beyond in money spent to even make themselves looking more and more like all star teams which could separate themselves from the rest of La Liga, I am curious about other opinions.

I would personally hope that other clubs don't think they should go more and more into debt to try to keep up with them. I would hope a valencia for example should focus on fixing themselves financially, hopefully eventually finish off their new stadium, build up their academy, and find affordable transfers that can fit within their system.

I wonder how many clubs will think like that and how many others might be deluded to think they can try to act like the top 2 clubs who are spending each of these transfer windows like it was Christmas every day.

I still say though when it comes to the original meaning of this thread that Valencia, Sevilla, Atl. Madrid, and Athletic Bilbao are the most interesting clubs to me.

22. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I whole-heartedly agree. That's one reason I like Villarreal, too -- they seem to be very practical, buying low on good players and selling high. They are going to rely on their academy this year, and Garrido has really righted the ship.

However, reports are that they only teams to have a profit this year were the top 2...and Numancia!

As for your choices...I love Valencia, but their financial situation is terrible. Sevilla have been constantly in that battle for 3rd, but Atletico Madrid are schizo (but score a lot). Bilbao is a very, very interesting club from an historical perspective; speaking of which, Real Sociedad is set to ascend this year, and I will definitely be keeping an eye on them (although they too had financial issues recently).

23. SL33P3R

SL33P3R New Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the two I am going to suggest are probably not what you want. I've been in the same boat and have tentatively chosen Villarreal as I think they have a great fanbase and are an up and coming team - having sustained their top flight status for a few years now.

The other "dark horse" I would put out there are Sporting de Gijon. Rowdy fanbase and (from what I've watched) a good style of football. I especially like their GK Colinas. I would have probably thrown my support in with them already, but I haven't found any English forums/websites on them. I don't speak Spanish so it's a little hard. :)

EDIT: If Villarreal doesn't work out I would support Valencia. I don't think you can go wrong with them even as they have financial trouble.

24. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Gijon, they just made a really good signing -- Nacho Novo.

25. SL33P3R

SL33P3R New Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be a good addition - I just wish he was 5 years younger. :)