Trying to find that Italian club that grabs hold of me

Discussion in 'Italy: Clubs' started by Aztattooedsean777, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I will admit that I am trying to play catch up when it comes to taking in the Serie A. I try to watch as much European football as I can but for some reason I have only started to learn as much as I can about the Serie A in past 2 seasons most of it this current season.

I still haven't found a club that has picked me as I always think the club picks you, you don't pick the club.

I do know that I am most intrigued by Napoli, Palermo, Roma, and Juventus for various reasons.

I do know that I like how Juventus is going to move into a new nice stadium and that Roma have been talking about doing it as well. I just don't like those tracks around the pitch making everyone especially the most awesome ultras seem so far away from the action.

I like how all 4 clubs I mentioned try to play attacking football. I am not really into 0-0 or 1-0 matches each and every match.

I wonder if any supporters of the above mentioned clubs might persuade me for or against any of them. :p That said, in the end as I mentioned, it will be the club that selects me. :)

2. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    well i've been a fan of serie A since 1996 and the first ever game i saw was a juventus vs fiorentina match in which i got to see Zidane, Del Piero and Inzaghi and just thought, wow these guys are good. they won that match and i've been hooked ever since. Del Piero and Inzaghi were insane and well we all know what Zidane did on the pitch. you just have to watch some games and see which team appeals the most to you.

3. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I do watch but that only shows one a certain much. Crowd atmosphere(although certain clubs have very loud ultras, Italy loses some points as so many clubs have track fields pushing people further away) is something that gets me interested, style of play(as I prefer a club that loves to put forth an attacking style lineup, city club is located as I like to think that I would like to visit at least once if not multiple times to watch them play.

it will take a bit but I was just seeing what others would say or if they had stories in how they started to follow a certain club.

4. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I do find that Napoli, Palermo, Roma, and Juventus are the ones I find most interesting to watch on tv.

I love the atmosphere at Napoli's matches. That track around the pitch hurts though.

I am glad that many matches are on tv involving these clubs so it gives me more chances to further investigate. :cool:

5. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would say that trying to keep a clean sheet attitude wise towards club and being unbiased not thinking of how much they have won in the past or what not that I find AC Milan, Palermo, Roma, Napoli, and Juventus as the clubs that most make me curious. I will keep watching as many of their matches as possible.

6. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville

That's just part of football in Italy. That used to bother me but I hardly notice it now. I guess Juve won't have one in their new stadium. San Siro and Genoa, among others, don't have one, but I wouldn't let that influence me.

7. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Yeah, I know it is something that one has to sort of put behind them as although Juventus are moving into their new stadium and Roma have talked about a new stadium, future stadiums will take some years before they become a reality.

I just want to think of the idea that when THAT club picks me that part of grabbing me as a supporter is knowing that I will hope to make future visits to attend matches. I want to actually be able to see the action once there.:p

8. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I forgot to mention Udinese is also very fun to watch when I have seen a few of their matches this season.

Palermo seems entertaining. Roma doesn't seem as attacking as under their former coach but that just might be me.

AC Milan seems to have a lot of guys that can provide fire power. I am just curious if anyone can explain why they don't score even more goals. That said, I enjoy watching them.

Napoli has great crowd atmosphere and I have enjoyed watching their matches although this leaving it till the last 10 minutes in so many matches might cause people to have heart attacks.:p

9. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    We're a 95 minute club, never say die.

InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  10. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Totally understand that for sure. It is just too bad they could take care of business within the first 5 minutes rather than the last 5 minutes all the time.:p

11. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Sometimes, but what fun is that? We're the underdog club of Italy.

12. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Which Italian clubs fulfill the following criteria:

A) They are collectively owned by their fans/members.
    B) Have a clean reputation in terms of corruption/match-fixing/doping etc.
    C) Have a healthy non-violent fan culture.
    D) A solid youth development programme that successfully introduces homegrown talent into the pro squad.

Do any Serie A teams qualify? Those would be key requirements for me to root for a club.

I want to support a virtuous club. I wouldn't mind it playing also attractive football, but it's not a strict requirement. And in terms of success, actually, I like underdogs. Heck, I'd also take a Serie B team if no Serie A team qualifies.

Any recommendations that suit my criteria?

13. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Vaticano FC

Rosay and InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  14. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm Catholic, so why not. :)

Do you mean to tell me no Italian club in the upper echelons of Italian football meets my hardly too taxing criteria?

1 person likes this.
  15. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    S.S. Crucchi Demmerda

16. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, I get it. No Italian club fulfills my criteria for a virtuous club.

17. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Why are you looking for a virtuous club anyway? Is reality that bad?

18. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the criteria I list apply to most clubs north of the Alps.

I dislike the entirely corporate club model and highly value collective ownership and club democracy.

Similarly, a club with a worrisome fan culture won't work for me.

And that does good youth development work and integrating that talent into the first squad.

I just want a club I root for (and even identify with) to do things the right way. This is what I mean when speaking of a "virtuous club".

19. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Good troll but must troll harder.
    :D

Rosay repped this.
  20. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't think so..:p

21. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Beats me why some here respond to my simple query about a club that suits me, with private messaged anti-German insults and the like.

You need not value what I do in a club. That's fine. But no reason to be rude or unfriendly. Some people...

22. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You started it...

Rosay repped this.
  23. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    This is what did it. You're here to insult the Italian league, not look for a club to support. Stick to your club only. No need for pretentiousness.

24. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nonsense. I open-mindedly asked whether you guys could recommend a club that meets my criteria.

You might find my criteria "pretentious". Whatever. But stating what I look for in a club in no way amounts to an anti-Italian insult.

25. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yes you did, you invaded Poland