Trusox Thread - All info, questions, reviews here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Nov 19, 2013.

1. mbonness

mbonness Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the innovation is genuine and the benefits (greater lock-in, less slippage, and fewer blisters) are real and significant for most people, pro and amateur. And, to be fair, TruSox are more than just "socks with[] rubber dots." (The friction pads are wholly different from printed-on rubber and are on both the inside and outside of the sock.) Certainly the benefits are more significant than almost all of those provided by whatever gimmick-of-the-season Nike or Adidas are offering to get people to part with another $200 or $300 on boots.

TruSox's real issue is whether they can survive long enough to grow sales significantly and reduce the price. And that's not going to be easy as long as they have to keep charging $39 per pair for a product as unsexy as socks. Plus, I get the sense that Nike's and Adidas' newest knitted boot offerings are aimed, at least in part, at squashing TruSox before that can happen (by covering up the tell-tale squares on the back of the ankle).

I spoke with a shop owner here in the US who used to stock TruSox, but stopped recently after, he claims, TruSox pushed the retail price from $39 to $50. (Eurosport/Soccer.com still seems to be selling full-length TruSox for $39 a pair.)

I think it'd be a real shame if they don't survive, particularly since I don't see Adidas or Nike offering a similar solution. (Probably, in part, because TruSox has locked up the IP and, in part, because Adidas and Nike doubt the profitability of costlier socks, which doesn't bode well for TruSox's effort.) And Nike's slick looking padded socks don't count; they might be fairly comfortable, but they don't address or counter slippage like TruSox.

asianboy and tilburysoccer repped this.
  2. soulstar89

soulstar89 Member

Apr 8, 2008
    LONDON England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    so after gettng my trusox's while back i was finally able to use them today in a match. hats off to them the work well. i had experienced slippage in my boots i wore today and with tusox no slippage at all. hard aggressive cuts was sold! no to wash these things.

3. Tollo

Tollo New Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Not really a Trusox issue, but I have been wondering when is it going to happen that the pressure sox are going to come to football market. They would be really handy to use in football.

4. DoyleyBD08

DoyleyBD08 Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Are these socks really worth the hefty price tag please?

Any good, cheaper alternatives please?

5. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think they are worth the price tag - they are a really nice cushioned sock but thats about it. Once you've washed them a few times (and I followed the instructions) the rubber parts aren't really that grippy.

At the moment I am not sure of any alternatives on the market and thats why Trusox can charge the amount they do because they have no direct competition.

appleCORR

6. pancreas

pancreas Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I do not think that they are worth the money either. I probably have to put my shoes on and off five times before the socks sits comfortly due to the pads.

Just get the higher quality socks from Nike or Adidas for a third of the price.

7. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I had that problem it was like the sole of the sock was too big and every time even though id had the right size, and every time I put my boot on it would fold over. I haven't even bothered trying them with my magistas or SF because I think id be there forever trying to get the boot on and sock fitting my foot right.

appleCORR

8. DoyleyBD08

DoyleyBD08 Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Thanks lads!

I saw you mention Totes @appleCORR7...would you recommend these please?

9. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well ... I guess you could use Totes LOL! I mean they are the same sort of thing but they are MUCH thicker sock because they tend to be thermal as they are bed socks.

You seem quite desperate for some socks with grips on are you having trouble with your foot sliding around in your boot? As i said the only thing i really liked about them was how cushioned the sole of them are. I don't really feel the rubber elements on them other than it making it hard to get my boot off at the end of training.

appleCORR

10. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I think the sweet spot for these is about $20 - $25 USD. But regarding performance, it's undeniable for sure. I haven't experienced any noticeable slippage per se with subsequent washes, I'm pretty happy.

11. jw_93

jw_93 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi guys,
    i've currently got a pair of the black cushioned trusox, reallly enjoy them and have sured up the blisters i used to get from foot slippage from other socks.
    However, i'm now playing 3 times a week vs 1 time a week previously and unsure whether i should payout for another pair. Anyone know if i should go for it, or try the Nike Stadium Crew socks?

12. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you like them that much - they are pretty durable so go with another pair of Trusox. All socks like that are expensive anyway so just go with what you now.

appleCORR

13. jessepv

jessepv Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I have always had problems with heel blisters, no matter what shoe, and have been forced to double sock to reduce friction. It seems like trusox would actually cause blisters in my case. Does anyone have a problem like this?

14. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i still not get why people buy tru sox...

Both nike and adidas offer cheaper anti blister socks for running..

maybe I will one day try them and see what the big deal is.. if any..

15. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There isn't a big deal thats the point - if people want to spend that much on a sock its their choice.

Personally I just find them too bulky especially if your boot is already a snug fit you will never get your foot in it wearing true sock. Also the sole of the sock creases as you put your boot on and its practically impossible to get it to move and straighten out.

I am really grateful I got mine for free - because I wanted to sample the 'technology' but at the end of the day once you've worn them a few times they just feel like slightly thicker crew socks.

appleCORR

16. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    you are right, just get a boot that fits one your size and two the shape of your foot, and allow break in time.

bet the guy who owns tru sox is laughing all the way to the bank, as he knows as soon as a kid see's a player in them, they have to have them.

17. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thats the thing - if someone said to me I'll pay you £500 every time you wear a pair id wear them but otherwise. Nah, they aren't a big deal. They are doing so well because they are the only sock like it on the market. Yes Adidas and Nike offer a cushioned range but nothing with grips on, and people with blisters automatically think 'Crap! I need to get some Trusox' no .. go to your local sports store, get some athletic tape. Learn how to tape the area the blister is happening and wait for it to heel and you will be fine. You don't need as 'magic' sock.

appleCORR

18. JEN14

JEN14 Red Card

May 8, 2014
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Thought they were great at first. Now don't bother. I've come to realise that at the end of the day I play football for fun, all this crap about 'extra acceleration' is utter rubbish. Just go out and play football. When you start worrying about what socks you wear what's the point anymore?

Modern football seems determined to take all the fun away from the beautiful game. Too many people get hung up on all this new technology when in reality all you need are a comfortable, good fitting pair of relatively lightweight football boots and shinpads that fit properly.

Quite an ironic statement I know coming from somebody who used to review football products, but end of the day it's true.

jayc23 and Jonny98 repped this.
  19. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And what we all forget on here is the pro's getting everything they wear for FREE when fans want to be like their idols because they really think that players have had an input in the product thats when it becomes sad.

I don't want to take this thread off topic if people love trusox then good for them. But i bet you will never see a bad review of them online. JEN14 will answer this, if you review something you say you love it because you want that company to send you more and more free stuff.

Here is my review, they are a complete and utter gimmick. Pro players wear them because they come in colours that match their club socks and are getting paid to do so. £20 something pounds for a pair of socks is crazy.

appleCORR

20. jessepv

jessepv Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    According to the company, Luis Suarez is the only player that is contracted by the company. Players are most likely given free pairs, but none of them are paid to wear them, other than Suarez.

appleCORR7 repped this.
  21. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I guess it's all promotion for them in the end then. I was also thinking it makes it easier to get a crew sock in the colour of your club sock now the rule has come in that the sock/tape must all be the same colour. None of your Ronaldo and white crew socks anymore.

Just wanted to add i tried a pair of Nike elite crew socks tonight and found the big toe protection at the end of the sock to be a brilliant feature. Unlike trusox they are super thin with cushioning in just the right places and I picked these up for a real bargain of £3.50 a pair!

appleCORR

jessepv repped this.
  22. mbonness

mbonness Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised that people on this board, who are usually so excited about (and ready to shell out $200+ for) the endless slew of "innovations" (read, "gimmicks") from Nike and adidas, are so skeptical about a seemingly genuine idea for socks. If there's anybody laughing at us all the way to the bank, it's Nike and adidas, whom we're shoving money at every 3 months for new colorways made from ever-cheaper synthetics.

Trusox might not work for everyone. They're definitely thick. And they can be tough to wedge into your boots. (Although buying the correct size Trusox, i.e., not too large, helps with that.) But surely the huge, rapid adoption rate by the pros is a testament to their effectiveness for many. Pros are paid big money to wear shoes that they pretty much all customize, frequently to the point of wearing an entirely different (disguised) product. Yet tons of them are wearing Trusox for free. (There is no earthly way Trusox is paying all of the pros now sporting their product). Why would the pros do that if they thought Trusox no better than the average crew sock?

I wear my boots super-tight (I grew up buying Copas a size-and-a-half down), but with sweat and gameplay, there's always gonna be some movement in the shoe. Trusox really cut down on that for me. It's a different feeling.

As to blisters, jessepv, I've long had problems too, although more with my big toes and the balls of my feet. Trusox helped with that, although, I'd agree with David89 that the surest solution is to wear thin, Nike anti-blister running socks (usually $6-$8), underneath a standard soccer sock. Unfortunately, two layers of socks will never provide the kind of locked-in feeling that I get with Trusox. But I've suffered a few blisters using Trusox on really hot days or really wet days when there was a lot of moisture (sweat or rain) in my shoes.

23. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You actually get very thin light socks with the Elite crew socks. People aren't hating on the Trusox concept its the price they charge for them in my book.

I tried them was like 'well, these make my boots much harder to get on and off' and that was it.

appleCORR

24. monta

monta Member

Oct 19, 2009
    CA
    Club:
    Real Sociedad de Fútbol
    Trusox used to advertise their socks as being able to prevent blisters but they stopped at some point. When I tried them they felt uncomfortable and since the pads go up to the heel it actually felt like it could cause me some blisters on my heel. Like others have mentioned when I put on cleats the sock would fold up at the bottom and I would have to struggle to get the pads to sit flat. I wouldn't wear them even if they paid me. Nike elite socks are the only thing i'd wear.

25. JEN14

JEN14 Red Card

May 8, 2014
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    TruSox also gave me blisters.

The fact is - it's just a waste of time. Socks are pretty boring. Football boots aren't.

On paper it sounded like a good innovation. In practise, I'd sooner just wear normal socks and not think about stuff like that.