True Detective

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant the spaghetti face guy not the Yellow King.

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    but what if your opinion IS a result of patriarchy?

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #128 SirManchester, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    We obviously empathize with Rust. Then when his partner's wife comes on to him, they engage in mutually consensual sex only for Rust to feel like he was cheated and as the audience we are supposed to see the scene through his eyes and the female character has almost no room for empathy because of it. That's a structural flaw enhanced by the way we are still told what roles women and men should have in pop culture.

Having said that I do enjoy the show for the sheer male bravado and near-gaudiness of it.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think you are misinterpreting the critique.
    The show does not need a heroic/noble female character. It just needs to do better by its existing cast of female characters
    Returning to "Red Riding" for a moment, the difference between Michelle Monaghan's Maggie and Rebecca Halls Paula in the British show is that the latter actually feels like a real person as opposed to an archetype put in the periphery of one of the male characters.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    http://flavorwire.com/442041/is-tru...probably-not-but-we-wont-know-until-its-over/

I think this theory might have some merit. There are certainly scenes in there that suggest we are seeing the memories of the events and not the actual events themselves (e.g. Marty's encounter with the T-Mobile girl).

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That article also misses the point on how ideology functions. The show doesn't have to endorse sexism to fall into that category. It just is.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    True, though I would argue that there is a difference between writing that is consciously sexist and aims to grate its audience than a story that just happens to be sexist as a by-product of its narrative and characterization.

8. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Rust / Maggie assignation:
    • I was at first disappointed. It seemed like the morals / code of Rust's character would have or should have prevented him from following through. That said, the show has done a very nice job of creating an intense connection between these two with very little actual interaction.
    • I was equally initially disappointed in Maggie throwing Rust under the bus. It had seemed like she would have had more consideration toward him.
    • In both instances, though, alcohol was a major component. Rust and Maggie both seemed to have been drinking heavily before she knocked on his door; and Maggie did not seem to be on her first glass of wine when she told Marty. Plus, the writing seemed to make her decision to name Rust as something of an impulsive decision -- she first says it's "someone you know;" then "someone close;" then actually named him.
    • Plus, Rust's reaction to having Maggie drop a grenade on him -- overly dramatic, but understandable as he basically screams her out of his apartment -- was surely strong factor in her decision to name him.
    • Also, I thought the actually sex was handled in as limited an eroticized fashion as possible. They probably could have and should have gone further to make it even more unpleasant for all involved. But at least it wasn't Spartacus or Cinemax.
    So I'm giving it a pass -- plus it was a helluva fight.

Also:
    Were Marty and the other cops watching actually able to hear Rust tell that woman she should kill herself? Or are we supposed to think they heard him say that to her?

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think it was implied they heard him.

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #135 Alberto, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    Rust and Maggie's sex resembled the fight between Rust and Marty. It appeared more like a rape than anything tender or loving. It was too animalistic particularly for Rust.

The scene with the woman suffering from Munchhausen syndrome by proxy was brutal and showed a level of disconnect with humans that was disturbing. Rust has no compassion. No sense of humanity. Yes, the woman killed her children, but she is also mentally ill. Instead of just being satisfied with getting the truth, he then turns cold and tells her to end her life.

I'm not convinced anyone else heard him tell her to commit suicide. He said it in a low voice. It would not be acceptable for a police officer to offer suicide as advice.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Last week we saw him beat up a suspect, and this was definitely witnessed by the other cops.
    His colleagues know that Rust is an odd duck, just very, very good at getting confessions.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The guy at 0:15 reminds me of "Red Riding"s BJ...

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    From the daily beast interview.
    An odd comparison, Milch's writing room was notoriously chaotic.
    The Deadwood cast would often times only get their finished lines a couple of hours prior to shooting.

14. forza 4zA

forza 4zA Member+

Jul 9, 2013
    East Coast US
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think true detective so perfect a show that critics are looking hard for something to ....criticize and the mysoginy angle is an easy way to do this.

15. forza 4zA

forza 4zA Member+

Jul 9, 2013
    East Coast US
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I saw a hi def version of the photograph rust noticed twice whilst talking to Dora langs mother......the one with the five horsemen.

Freekin terrifying and one of the masks those guys were wearing could look like the infamous spaghetti monster

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this week's episode last night.

I think the attraction between Maggie and Rust had been there for a long time. But I also think the sex between them was not intended (by the writers) to be a product of that. They were not consummating an attraction for one another; Maggie was looking to blow up her marriage. She initially tried with the nameless dweeb at the bar and couldn't go through with it. Rust was a more fitting tool for the job she wanted to do because he was Marty's partner and because Maggie was attracted to him (or, even worse, she knew Rust was attracted to her), and by that time she was drunk. I thought she said as much to him after it happened.

If that's correct, I don't think I like it. Maggie's character--as much of it as we'd been allowed to see thus far--would have been far more likely to leave again, and finally, this time. An act of revenge sex using Rust seems like a gimmick. The writer needed a reason for a violent blow-up between Marty and Rust and he arbitrarily bent Maggie's character to get it. Clunky. And I have to say that does feed the "women's roles are totally subordinated in this series" hypothesis.

That said:
    1. I don't think it was out of character for Rust to do it. I do not see him as in control. He's talented, driven, desperate and very nearly broken beyond repair. The philosophy he's spouting is pure defense.

2. Even if I don't like the way the sex happened, the dynamic it's helped set up in 2012 is interesting. Maggie's not telling the complete story because she's hiding the sex between her and Rust. The fact that she's hiding something fuels the suspicion Gilbough and Papania have about Rust. Marty is also hiding the Maggie/Rust sex. Partly out of shame and partly out of the residual loyalty that connects to Rust protecting Marty (by not exposing his execution of a handcuffed prisoner, despite the subsequent break up of their partnership). And that also fuels the suspicion about Rust.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I could actually buy Maggie and Rust having a one night stand. In previous episodes she was friendly with Rust, enough to call him about Marty's extra curricular activities, and when he was mowing the lawn for them she seemed like she could jump him then. Add some alcohol into the mix, coupled with her disdain for Marty and I could see it.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    forza 4zA repped this.
  20. forza 4zA

forza 4zA Member+

Jul 9, 2013
    East Coast US
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, I would so watch an odd couple type sit com with Marty and rust sharing an apartment and bickering in the car on the way to work and at the bar afterwards.

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Question: Was Rust being "weak" in the fight with Marty on purpose? I mean we all supposed to assume Rust is a good fighter.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    He kicked Marty's ass, didn't he?

23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Well, Marty landed 5-6 decent punches and Rust's face looked pretty beat up. Earlier in the episodes, Marty just looked like a white version of Jet Li.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    When he beat up the kids? It's not like they were fighting back... Or do you mean something else?

25. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marty connected with a fair number of shots to Rust's face. That's why Rust said "nice hook, Marty" as he walked out after quitting the force.