True Detective

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Some of the dialogue gets dangerously close to unintentional comedy, but I would say that this episode was very interesting.
    It still falls somewhat short of my expectations, but I will return if only for how gloriously beautiful it is shot. Best-looking show on TV right now?

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Anyone else reminded of this scene when Marty busted up his mistress' hook-up?

3. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What part? I loved the revival tent scene. I think some of it was meant to be funny.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really do like the way it's shot. Really gives a sense of emptiness and futility to the area.

bungadiri repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So woodys character is not wearing a wedding band in the interviews, so I assume he is divorced by then, or maybe I just did not see the ring.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No ring. It's safe to assume he's divorced.

bungadiri repped this.
  7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I love the wide shots of the Louisiana landscapes.

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so flat.

9. forza 4zA

forza 4zA Member+

Jul 9, 2013
    East Coast US
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Theories seen across the web;

Rust and Marty are same person aka fight club

Marty's daughter Audrey is the modern time killer

Maggie and Jennifer become victims - see photos at end of ep three@

Lawn mower man is Reggie ledoux is green eared spaghetti monster@

Take notice of when rust makes notes, they are the real clues@

@ I subscribe to this theory

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I am enjoying it so far.

Didn't realize that America has such parts where it looks worse than Russia.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not sure how that one could ever work. They are very clearly meant to be two different people.

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So my wife asked if the young prostitute (Anette?) at the "ranch" in episode 2, whom they questioned about Dora, is the teenage version of the little girl who disappeared from the neighborhood a while back. And the palsied uncle--got a bad vibe from him.

And yeah, they had Marty look down at the absence of a wedding band after the two modern day detectives called him back from his remembrance of his lovemaking with Maggie. Divorce was my conclusion then (and I wonder if Rust and Maggie get together later on). I'm afraid it's also possible she's dead, but there's been no hint of that in the dialogue so far.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Inconsistencies didn't seem to bother David Fincher.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    There are many scenes that could fit the multiple personalities theory.
    The interrogation scenes set in the present.
    The scene where Rust mowed the lawn but was then sent away by Marty.

But there are others that I can't see how you could possibly explain. e.g. the double date. The telephone call that Maggie made with Rust. It would be a twist with a very rickety foundation.

I don't remember any huge holes in Fincher's script, but then I have not seen that movie since it was released in theaters.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Been a few years for me... but IIRC the biggest one was when Brad Pitt and Ed Norton fight, and then a bunch of other guys come up and voila!!! Fight Club is born. Then later on we see a security camera shot, and Ed Norton is just fighting by himself. It doesn't look like the kind of thing that would lead a bunch of people to come up and say, "hey, let me in on this!"

Ultimately re: True Detective, I think you're right.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the interactions in the police department with the other detectives, the captain and the governor's brother. It's clear that they are two people.

17. forza 4zA

forza 4zA Member+

Jul 9, 2013
    East Coast US
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyone else watched the 13min making of true detective?

The writer says it is More of a man hunt than a whodunit ........if that's true then many people have been wasting their time the past few weeks....lol

Also, the reason for the present day interviews are because the Feds think the original case was botched and they want to find out what went wrong so they can get the real perp who has struck again. and Rust wants info on the new investigation so he can investigate by himself as a vigilante.

Interesting

18. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's not a who dun it or any mystery. It is studying human existence and human emotion. I expected it to be dark and it has delivered there. Dialogue has been amazing.

19. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's not about that lol The meaning of the show obviously went over your head........

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The dialogue on philosophy has been embarrassing. Elementary school level.

21. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Quite the Contrary I think it is to raw for people. I wish I went to your elementary school. Why would you even watch all three episodes then if they were "basic" for your prestigious mind.

I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in human evolution. We became too self aware; nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, a secretion of sensory experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody’s nobody. I think the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

Now we know that we are uncanny paradoxes. We know that nature has veered into the supernatural by fabricating a creature that cannot and should not exist by natural law, and yet does.

And:

And the worst possible thing we could know — worse than knowing of our descent from a mass of microorganisms — is that we are nobodies not somebodies, puppets not people.

And:

For us, then, life is a confidence trick we must run on ourselves, hoping we do not catch on to any monkey business that would leave us stripped of our defense mechanisms and standing stark naked before the silent, staring void. To end this self-deception, to free our species of the paradoxical imperative to be and not to be conscious, our backs breaking by degrees upon a wheel of lies, we must cease reproducing.

Sarajevsko Pivo repped this.
  22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    They are certainly overdoing Rusts misanthropic nihilism.
    Every other conversation they seem to have ends up there.

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly. It's as forceful as the juxtaposition of "high-intellect" and ordinary. It's almost Sorkin-esque.

24. forza 4zA

forza 4zA Member+

Jul 9, 2013
    East Coast US
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #74 forza 4zA, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    When rust is with Maggie, he is quite normal.......he even cracks jokes. He is most crazed when winding Marty up and in the interview.........I don't think he is as far out gone as he pretends to be.

After watching some trailers it seems that there is gonna be a lot about the current case as well as the nineties one.

SPOILERS?@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

My overall theory is that the Tuttles are enabling and providing girls to a biker drug satanist gamg to do their nasty stuff in order to keep public fear of satanism high to draw people and their money to the church.

I think that after the case in 1995 where they catch the perp, Rustin continues to work the case in his own time because he knows there is a larger conspiracy. Between 2002 and now after retiring he goes deep undercover in biker gangs to get more evidence .....see his mannerism and demeanor change from 1995 to 2012..........and it all comes to a head in 2012.

Also think the latest victim is Audrey Hart.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV