Travel/Tickets: USA vs Mexico in Columbus 9/10/2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Mar 21, 2013.

1. tavo2311

tavo2311 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are those of you planning on going to this game aready booking hotels? Last year when I got Jamaica tix I also remember AO giving a hotel discount. I'm wondering if that will be the same, or if I should be booking something now?

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the closest hotel to crew stadium? I'm planning on bringing my 6 1/2 year old son for his first taste of The Rivalry. Stoked.

TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  3. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I booked a room at the Residence Inn Downtown as soon as they announced Columbus...it must be sold out because it does not come up now when I put those dates in. Since I booked it through the hotel I can always cancel if I need to.

I would get one now - personally I would rather be downtown than near the stadium ( i think - it is a ways from downtown, correct?).

4. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is absolutely NO harm in booking hotels. Book yesterday. Book before the location is even announced. You can always cancel ahead of time if it's looking less and less likely that you'll be able to make the trip.

5. BeloHorizante

BeloHorizante Member

May 27, 2005
    tavo2311: definitely book your hotel ASAP. I believe there is an AO block, but you definitely don't need to stay there, and the group rate isn't always a discount, in as much as it's rooms set aside that can only be booked by group members (this is up to each hotel, and not a reflection of AO). If you're staying downtown, there are lots of hotels close together, so you're bound to run into other people wearing red, white and blue. Also, AO events won't be at a hotel, so you'll be going elsewhere anyway.

ttreverett: if you Google map Crew Stadium, and then use the"search nearby" function and look for hotels, the closest is a comfort suites, .8 miles away. But, I would not use proximity as the only factor in selecting a hotel. The stadium is very near OSU's campus, and downtown Columbus not only has the state capital, but also a convention center. As a result, there are plenty of hotel options, for every price point, personal preference, etc.

alexspapa: the stadium is about 3.5 miles from downtown. So it's not right next door, but I don't think I'd describe it as "a ways from downtown."

Eight years ago, Sams Army kept most of their activities in the Arena District (right by convention center/downtown) at a faux Irish pub and a Gordon Beirsch. It was a good time, and walkable from downtown hotels. Four years ago, I wasn't able to attend, so I am not sure where AO or Sams Army set up.

On the first page of this thread, someone mentioned that the AO party the night before would likely be at Fourth Street Bar and Grill, which is closer to the stadium/OSU

ttrevett repped this.
  6. tavo2311

tavo2311 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True - Always easy to cancel a room up to 48 hours prior. I guess I was waiting so I could see where the US fans would likely have a large group at the same place. I will go get something in the downtown area now.

7. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping that someone will be putting together a list of "places to stay/things to do" locally but it is much better to stay downtown that anywhere near the stadium.

Downtown/Arena District has a ton of nightlife and things to do.

That being said, I am pretty positive that the night before activities will center on Fourth Street Bar which is close to the stadium. It's an easy taxi ride from downtown.

8. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great info hamburgler...

Belo - thanks for the clarification on the location of the stadium...short cab ride sounds like!

11. Jake Slag

Jake Slag New Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I've been told by a few AO people ITK that tickets will be available after the Gold Cup.

12. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gold Cup runs through July 28. So, the tickets would go on sale just 5 short weeks before the match day? That would be shocking, but I guess at this point, anything is possible since we've waited this long already.

13. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to buy my tickets, Stars and Stripes Unite.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice to get this sorted a bit early.

15. DemandmyBox

DemandmyBox New Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    For those who are looking for a place around the stadium, 4th St Bar and Grill is a great place to go for the pregame as it is maybe a mile walk to the actual gates. I'm actually a regular there so I know a bit about it. Also, being as the 10th is on Tuesday, ALL drinks are 1/2 off at 4th st from top shelf to bottom shelf starting at 3pm. For pregame, the bar should be fine and it's the closest one around. If you want to continue partying after a US victory, I'd recommend finding a new bar for postgame as you won't be able to move once it hits 10:30pm/11pm.

For those arriving over the weekend looking to catch some games on tv, this is also one of the better pubs in Columbus as they open early to televise all the Premier League games.

16. RobMac330

RobMac330 Member

May 20, 2012
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    What is there to do in Columbus during the day? A couple of us land at noon the day before and while drinking is always an option, I figure there's gotta be other stuff going on?

17. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, probably just MLS games that day since it's an official FIFA match day on Friday 9/6. I'm sure there'll be tons of college football on at 4th St., though, with OSU students back in session. Side note for anyone coming in over the weekend...OSU has a home game Saturday 9/7 at 3:30 pm.

Visit the North Market downtown for lunch; pickup a pretzel from Brezel. Brew your own beer at North High Brewing in the OSU campus area. Walk the shops, restaurants and Goodale Park green space in the Short North. Browse the Ohio Statehouse Museum Shop, consisting of products all made in Ohio.

18. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Ashland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oooooh, tires. And shaving cream! And... Wendy's burgers?

ttrevett repped this.
  19. BeloHorizante

BeloHorizante Member

May 27, 2005
    North High Brewing sounds great, but then I saw the first two FAQs:

I was wondering how they sped up the process, but they don't, so it doesn't seem like it's all that feasible for just a few days in town.

Too bad, because I was looking forward to making roughly a keg of Dos a Cero Celebration Ale.

20. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OSU Saturdays are always pretty unreal around here. Head down to the stadium and catch the game (tickets should be available through scalpers). If you aren't heading to the game itself, there is a mass amount of tailgating going on or go to the bars which will be packed.

Note to anyone going on campus. They are really strict with "open container." Basically for the most part, if it is in a plastic cup, you are ok. If they even see you pouring it into the plastic cup, it's a ticket.

BPL is indeed not playing that weekend.

The Columbus Zoo is a nice place to go to spend multiple hours. It's a ways from downtown so might be a bit far if you don't have a car (although I do believe a bus route goes there).

Did I mention going to a bar to drink?

21. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Ashland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which makes me wonder why it's so lax at CCS. I've walked through the gate with half a beer in my hand, and they let me finish the bottle inside.

22. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think a lot of this stems from the post-Michigan riots that took place years ago. The OSU President at the time figured it was time to try to clean up the campus and as a result, really cracked down on open container.

I agree though, every time I'm at CCS and see one of the police officers driving around, I full expect the SWAT team to swarm on our tailgate. It's amazing what a different atmosphere it is though.

23. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /
    If you are coming in on the weekend before you can tour Middle West Spirits at the corner of 5th Ave and High Street in the Short North

There is also a new-er Beer Garden called the Pint House in the Short North. I linked to Yelp becuase their website sucks

... and if you are not leaving right after the game Rancid is playing at the Newport Music Hall on 9/12.... and there is a Daft Punk tribute band playing the Friday before the game at the Newport

Not sure if it will be in place by the time the game happens but Downtown is looking to put in bicycle rentals. This article is from March but I haven't heard if there has been any progress on this or not.

24. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Ashland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Daft Punk tribute band sounds like the laziest thing ever.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  25. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol.... I'm not a big Daft Punk fan but I know quite a few people like them. Seemed like everything I was finding to do revolved around drinking so at least this way you can not drink and take some extacy ;)