Travel/Tickets: USA versus Mexico in Mexico City 3/26/2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by GOREVS3000, Nov 14, 2012.

1. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody got their plans set for the trip yet?

Can anybody confirm if Teotihuacan is open on Monday? I've read that a lot of museums close on Mondays but I'm reading conflicting reports on if the pyramids ever close.

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Here's link to AO's ticket/bus only package.

http://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/events/usmnt-vs-mexico-away-32613

1) $150, includes ticket, and transport from AO hotel to seats and back.
    2) I don't know how much tickets are yet, so it could be a good deal (or not).
    3) Personally, I like the scene and atmosphere (subway, parking lot, etc) before the game starts. Its that post game where the "action" is and would be nice to have something organized.

3. jmnoles

jmnoles New Member

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it $150 or $175 for the AO ticket/bus package? Also, does anyone know what happened with the AO away Costa Rica travel package? I like Markansas was not impressed with the package they initially listed. Maybe they'll change to a closer hotel...

4. jmnoles

jmnoles New Member

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I read on several sites, the Teotihuacan pyramids is open every day, 365 days a year or "todos los dias". Wife and I are flying in a few day early to check out the sites before the game on Tuesday and then heading out the next day.

We just purchased the AO Tickets and Bus Package for peace of mind. Ended up being about $360 for the two of us. Counting the days...

5. giovanni zuniga rendon

Jan 3, 2013
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    first time going to the azteca to watch mexico vs usa!
    really excited, but when mexico plays usa idk who to root for??
    Im mex-american and I support both teams. Love both countries. Im in the middle here. Planning to take my friends (caucasian) to see it! hope to see lots of U.S.. supporters! hope things don't get out of control! people can stay in my house for free!! No hotel to book!!
    for people that live on the mex-usa border. Volaris is a great low cost mexican airline. When I visit my fam, I always book with them! great price and great service! Also, they started to fly out of U.S. cities now. (CA, TX, AR, and NM i think).

6. giovanni zuniga rendon

Jan 3, 2013
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Open everyday unless it rains and it doesn't rain there in March!

7. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

Yeah, my brother and I are doing the same and we're looking forward to Mexico City almost more than the game. Looks like such an awesome city.

8. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That it is.

9. Mockba

Mockba Member

Minnesota United
    United States
    Jul 1, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went in 2009 and stayed at Hotel Catedral as well; it was a great location, good hotel at a good price. The AO package seems well overpriced for what you're getting.

As for Teotihuacan, I'm pretty sure we went on a Monday in 2009. Very cool site.

As for food, I leave you with three words: Tacos al Pastor.

10. giovanni zuniga rendon

Jan 3, 2013
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    yeah, México DF is awesome. News mess with México too much! This city is actually the safest city in México right now.

11. giovanni zuniga rendon

Jan 3, 2013
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For people that haven't purchased their flight yet and live on the usa-mex border. Volaris is a good mexican airline and they have specials right now. Its volaris.com and the site is in english too. got my ticket for 130 round trip.

12. gveli001

gveli001 Member

LA Galaxy
    Jul 9, 2009
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    out of what city? I live in socal and it coming up $400+ out of LA

13. Vascao

Vascao Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Zona Sul
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone stayed at the Galleria Plaza in previous cycles?

14. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 of us are all booked and ready to go. We did flight/hotel on our own and bought the ticket/bus package from AO. Fly in Saturday, fly out Wednesday. Total cost about $650. We are staying a couple blocks from the AO hotel so I imagine we'll be seeing plenty of you guys.

Also plan to see the pyramids and some other sites. Will have to do my research!

Will there be a night-before bar night?

15. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    Many fans have stayed here before (I've stayed here the last 3 cycles) and it is pretty much yank central on the hotel front. I imagine it'll be the same this time round with the non-AO package fans. The Galeria is a solid option for the price.

It also looks like Denver is going to be announced for the CR game later today (heard more than one rumour to this effect), so as a heads up for those that want to travel on from DEN to MEX, Volaris runs a direct flight for about $260 one way that leaves around 4:30pm on Saturday that you might want to jump on.

See you south of the border - and at the Dick ;)

Vascao repped this.
  16. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    No doubt there'll be a night-before bar night. I'd just love us to organize somewhere different this time than the generic sports bar we inevitably settle with (can't even remember the name right now). Either way it'll be good times.

17. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh dear...Yuppies. Yeah, that would blow. Rather be in the Roma or Condesa somewhere.

18. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... like somewhere where a bunch of Mexican chics hang out on a Monday night. I'm sure there will be tons of options! :D

I vote for somewhere within stumbling distance of the hotel!

20. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah Monday night will be make your own entertainment. I was thinking more along the lines of something a little more 'local' in flavour than Yuppies!!!
    Like Cossack, I'd personally prefer Condesa/Roma but it's all good.

21. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    One more important topic to discuss in my mind is transportation. I love the crack of the metro ride to the stadium and wouldn't mind a coach ride back to the Zona Rosa but I'm not into paying AO's prices. Anyone know of any other options? (not sure we can rely on the paddy wagon route this time).

22. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Safe transportation might be even more important to find, if this night kick off time is right. Count me in as somebody looking for another option too.

http://www.concacaf.com/page/WCQ/Schedule/0,,12813,00.html

23. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There's always the taxi or car rental options.

As a veteran of round trip public transit between the Zocalo and Azteca in 2005 and 2009, I expect to use it again in March, even with a night game. Such a trip just requires patience because of the large crowd after the match and MX$12 round trip.

24. Vascao

Vascao Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Zona Sul
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 4 of us also not on the AO limo who will be looking to meet up with others for travels to and fro.

25. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    Curious how this worked. Did you guys have a cab or car wait for you at a designated spot after the game? Or are you saying you were able to flag a cab? The cops will probably march us out either just before the game ends (like last time) or keep us in the stadium for a while, and then dump us somewhere on the edge of the parking lot. None of which is exactly helpful in making arrangements with a cabbie.