Travel/Tickets: USA versus Jamaica in Kingston 9/7/2012

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by GOREVS3000, Nov 21, 2011.

1. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard it easier to buy smoke. :cool:
    If you're staying in Kingston, security sounds slim to none. If you're staying in Montego Bay, you'll be safe and secure.

2. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    ill be staying in Kingston for this trip.

it is less safe than an island like the Bahamas but the dangers are a bit overblown. some neighborhoods are sketchy for outsiders, but if youre smart and responsible youll be safe.

3. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like South Africa

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I would take some basic precautions. Don't leave your valuables lying around, don't wander into areas that people tell you not to wander in, and the real basics of traveling to big cities with high crime rates.

5. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not stay in Ocho Rios? A resort town and it's only 1.5 hours away from Kingston. I assume the costs will go down. Also, you can take a private bus (which is like Greyhound) from Kingston to Montego bay for like $20 each way. I think it's called Knutford Express.

6. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    that sounds like a very viable option for those interested in a resort town. i wont have much time down in jamaica and primarily am interested in kingston. maybe a day trip out of town somewhere

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only have thurs-sun. So essentially I have two travel days and two free days one of which is gameday. So I'd rather hang in Kingston than spend three days in a bus out of four.

I'd have considered the AO package if it wasn't just me.

8. VA Beach Brigade

Feb 22, 2006
    VA Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will have a few folks staying in Negril Sept 1-9. Still working on transportation to the game options looks like either a van or a small plane. Either way I will be there.
    Anyone else going to be staying in Negril area?

9. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be interested in this depending how much the transportation would cost. I'm still trying to figure out where I should stay as transportation to Kingston is harder than I thought. I did figure that it becomes a lot more reasonable to hire a driver when you have more people.

10. Oregon/Washington

Oregon/Washington New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Vancouver, Washington
    I will be in Negril area and am curious about tickets and transportation to the game.

11. Oregon/Washington

Oregon/Washington New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Vancouver, Washington
    Can you keep me posted on information for the transportation part?? I know a couple people interested in going who are in the negril area. Do you know if tickets are still available and how to purchase??

12. VA Beach Brigade

Feb 22, 2006
    VA Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So small inter-island plane hop will be to expensive. So best option will be ground. Still checking around, but might be easier to set up once there. The key would be how many people.

As far as tickets no info yet, but we have time for that.

13. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I got a quote from Montego Bay that it would be $50 R/T per person for private ground transportation. That was with 8-10 ppl.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't remeber the exact price but I saw around $150 return from Montego to Kingston.

15. ajlizardo

ajlizardo New Member

May 29, 2012
    tampa
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is Aj from Tampa, we met in Guatemala. If you are planning to go to Jamaica, where are you planning to stay at? I also want to go but the Ao package is too expensive when it's for two people. I saw a deal online through Expedia for 2 people staying at the same hotel plus airfare it was not even $1,000. The only issue is transportation to the stadium if we do not get the AO package. If you guys stay in Kingston or an area close to there let me know so we can plan on where to stay.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AJ, what's up man, how you doing? Get home okay?

I've booked the wyndham hotel in Kingston for 3 nights. There is a cluster of hotels in New Kingston, which is something like Zona Viva in Guate. The Wyndham was simply the cheapest of about four hotels in that area which were similarly rated. I believe it's about 2.5 km from the stadium. I'm only in country for 4 days, two to fly in, one for the game and one free day with which I haven't decided what to do with.

17. ajlizardo

ajlizardo New Member

May 29, 2012
    tampa
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sounds good. I am going to try and see if I can find a good travel deal to Kingston. I will also be there for 4 days sept 6-9. How about tickets to the stadium? How are we going to get it?

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows about tickets. Hopefully US soccer will get some.

19. ajlizardo

ajlizardo New Member

May 29, 2012
    tampa
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I emailed US soccer, so let's see what they say. I will try to get the same hotel you are at so we can go out together.

20. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    im also at the wyndham in kingston....

Real Corona repped this.
  21. ajlizardo

ajlizardo New Member

May 29, 2012
    tampa
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What are you doing for the tickets? I'm planning on staying sept 6-9. AO package w too expensive

22. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    im hoping that USSF will offer tickets. if so, i will grab a ticket from them. if not, then i will probably just get straight from the Jamaican Fed. im probably doing a Thursday night - Sunday trip staying in Kingston....

23. ajlizardo

ajlizardo New Member

May 29, 2012
    tampa
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Have you already booked your flight and hotel to Kingston? I found pretty good packages through Expedia

24. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    nope, i dont have a flight booked yet...ill need to check it out. unfortunately im airline loyal so sometimes i end up spending far more than i should

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you fly with? To my knowledge American is the only major US carrier that flies into Kingston