Travel/Tickets: USA versus Jamaica in Kingston 9/7/2012

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by GOREVS3000, Nov 21, 2011.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Taxi is about 10,000 Jamaican one way which is 120 USD...and bus is 850 Jamaican one way per person which is 10 USD...bus drops you off in downtown kingston then you can take a local taxi from there...but wouldnt advise you going there.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was planning on getting a hotel in Kingston the night of, assuming the game is in the evening which it usually is. Are there lots of taxis outside the game afterwards?

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    yes, xpect the stadium to be sold out for that game...does us soccer give tickets to its supporters?

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect that they would get an allocation of away tickets.

5. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed US Soccer & the Jamaica federation. Let's see what there response is.

6. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    the game will be in Kingston

7. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    all inclusive is without fail, the worst way to travel, in my experience

8. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    it is far too early for the USSF to have any information on this. 7 months is a long time

agreed, definitely expect an allocation

9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    My 89 year old grandfather would disagree with this..... :)

10. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    a fair point. i would like to qualify my statement that all inclusive is, without fail, the worst way to travel for people that like to get off the resort property, in my experience

11. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 95% sure I'm attending this game. Quite a few NYC and NJ guys have expressed serious interest...almost purchased airplane tickets already (though we wanted to confirm location - sounds like Kingston is guaranteed). We might all get on the same plane together. About hotels, it would also be awesome to stay with other US supporters as well. After the gameday activities/stay...I think I'm heading up to the Blue Mountains and drink some Jamaican coffee, hike and chill near a Rasta commune (such a gringo).

12. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I've had previous experiences with traveling around a country (Mexico) even though I was staying at an all-inclusive resort. (Cancun)

13. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Keaton,
    Thank you for your support of U.S. Soccer and the Men's National Team.
    Ticket information for the upcoming World Cup qualifier in Jamaica is not yet available. We will likely have information available in early to late August. Please check back with us at that time for more details.
    Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
    Sincerely,
    U.S. Soccer

14. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    August? The May friendly vs. Brazil is already on sale. I'd assume WCQ are more important and deserve better preparation.

15. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically, they're telling us, "You'll have a ********ing week to buy tickets for a game in the murder capital of the world." I understand early August, but late? I love the Feds.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They controll tickets to the Brazil game, they have to receive these from the Jamaican FA

17. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    What he said....if you aren't happy with the ticket policies, complain to the Jamaican FA. The USSF gets a ticket allocation and the ability to sell these tickets from the Jamaican FA.

Why do you need such advance notice to buy tickets? Make your plans and know that you will be able to buy tickets when they are available.

18. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I like to have some insurance that I'm picking the right city and the price is reasonable (all to be expected)...just that I'm not used to flying to murder capitals without some certainty.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what I'm doing for Guatemala. I have a mileage ticket and have a hotel booked in Guatemala city. I can cancel the room up until two days before the first night, which is June 8th. If for some reason I can't go, it costs me little to cancel ($70 airline fee I think) a week before hand, say if Guatemala decides to host the game on top of their volcano.

You might want some insurance but you're probably not going to get it from the Jamaican FA. You aren't their target audience. However, do keep in mind that Jamaica is a tiny island (relatively). Nothing is more than a few hours away. You can book a flight to Montego Bay or Kingston, stay whereever you want and maybe book one night (but don't pay for it) in Kingston just in case.

20. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    The game is definitely in Kingston, they have no other stadium where they would put a game against usa...majority of population is Kingston...that stadium is called "the office" they wont play qualifiers elsewhere. Its a small island.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't even started planning a trip to Jamaica yet, financially or otherwise, but I'd always assumed it was going to played in Kingston.

22. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    The match will be in Kingston. Can guarantee that. It's their national stadium and this is the biggest match they have of the round.

23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I said the feds. US Soccer has had there bullshit (no banners, keeping a net up during a game, etc.), but when it comes to fans traveling around the world, they are always there to help you.

I've been told my multiple shuttle companies that its four hours each way from Montego Bay (or the hotel we're staying at) to Kingston. I'm a little surprised by that, but I guess that's Jamiaca for you.
    http://www.iberostar.com/EN/Montego-Bay-hotels/Iberostar-Rose-Hall-Beach/All-inclusive.html
    http://www.costcotravel.com/#17_caribbean_MBJ_JamaicaIberostarRoseHallBeach_jamaica____

24. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    yeah causw of traffic will take 4 hours...and that msy be on local roads not the highway....all depends...ocho rios is closer

25. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Guys, chill on the tickets. You won't have any problem getting them. When they announce ticket sales then apply for them and buy them. Why do we need to have them in your hands 9 months in advance. It should have no bearing on your travel planning, trust me.