Trapp and the U-20s

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    2-0 Spain

2. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Looks like the Crew games before the Montreal win. Hold the ball in the middle a lot, create a bunch of chances but don't finish them, and mess up a few times in the back.

3-0 Spain

4. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    That's why you don't play a high press against Spain, was it courageous or crazy, I'd go with stupid. Yeah it made them uncomfortable for about thirty minutes after their first goal. Once they adjusted they got two more pretty quick; we need way better defenders if we're going to try that crap. If we keep it up in the second... it'll get bad... well it's already bad... it'll get worse.

5. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    The team needed to cover for Torre as much as possible not hang him out to get beat repeatedly.

6. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is it me, or does Trapp look to have grown?

7. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Are you looking at the right player? I think it's you.

8. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is you.

This is what I have feared for Trapp. His less than stellar athleticism is his primary challenge.

9. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    In not saying he's lebron size in that #6. But he looks lankier to me. You're the college player guru tho, so it must be me. I've hardly watched him.

10. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I wouldn't judge him too harshly; he has two makeshift center backs in front of him. The team desperately needs Will Packwood and Walker Zimmerman.
    He always looks a little quicker playing than he does in pictures; or you would think he would when you see him in person.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  11. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    should have been a straight red on Puerto there, intentionally swung his elbow at the back of the head

12. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Yep.

13. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Some of the worst defending from both center backs and a keeper at the same time that you'll ever see.

4-0 Spain

14. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trapp is one of my favorite Zips ever, and I very much want him to succeed for Club and for Country.
    And then I see this...... debacle. Is he as good as I thought he was? Have I retained my objectivity?

15. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    That should have been 5-0 close to Harlem Globetrotters vs. Washington Generals territory there.

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Someone better questions the hell out of Ramos about why he felt the need to play two out-of-position players at CB instead of calling in Zimmerman. Oh wait, nobody really cares, so he'll skate by with that awful roster decision...

fknbuflobo and Kayak repped this.
  17. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Gil scored; good for him. Solo goal, not the best first touch, plenty of space remained calm and took his shot from outside the box.

4-1

18. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can this U-20 team beat Tahiti? That's the real test

THOMA GOL repped this.
  19. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Oh Wil; good buildup our boy skys it. At least it wasn't a sitter.

20. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I'm not saying you should feel the need to be a Trapp apologist or anything but this was a really tall task for any defensive midfielder. We were missing Will Packwood, Walker Zimmerman, Shane O'Neill was on a red and John Anthony Brooks didn't commit. That's pretty much all of our hope at CB. We were playing a squad player in college at CB against Spain. It was always going to be bad.

That said I haven't really engaged in the conversations worrying about Trapp going to Europe. It's not that I don't think he could make it there someday but it isn't an immediate concern. May comparison for him has always been Dax; I expect him to develop into at least a Dax Carroll level player and if that's what we get as a Crew fans I'll be pretty happy. Could he be better than that? Sure but it'll take some time; he isn't being sold at the end of this season.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  21. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    These are our starters: 1-Cropper; 2-Yedlin, 5-O’Neill, 14-Torre, 3-Ocegueda; 8-Joya, 6-Trapp (c); 11-Villarreal, 10-Gil, 9-Rodriguez; 19-Hernandez

Nice to see Trapp with the armband; I don't know what happened to Stanko reading he was dropped from starting lineup as a coaches decision. Even Torre is looking better with an actual center back beside him.

0-0 22nd

22. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team cannot complete a pass in the attacking third of the field

23. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Dull game so far we're clearly trying to pull a point not play the beautiful game. France has had some decent looks but nothing like Spain had. Best moments were at the very end of the half a header Villarreal should have done better with. That resulted in a counter attack by France that our defense snuffed out. The field tilted in the other direction quickly Gil had a good look but couldn't get it past their keeper.

0-0 half

24. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two great chances at the end of the half but no goals

25. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible PK call against the US. Outside the box but ref (who hasn't been good) sees it differently.

US seems to have terrible luck with referees in the World Cup.