Transfer Thread, Pt. II!

Discussion in 'Olympique de Marseille' started by MetroChile, Apr 21, 2009.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    sometimes so funny you forget to laugh!

UNAF (referee's union) president Bernard Saules:
    Jean-Claude Dassier should stick to playing cards, there are fewer officiating mistakes. I'm wary about the comportment of these pseudo présidents who arrive on the football scene and allow themselves to call referees dishonest. We referees don't go around calling the presidents dishonest.

and yet they could! dassier is the first OM president in 20 years not to have been indicted (at least so far) for one thing or another.

4. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    I could'nt tell who's more pathetic between Dassier and Aulas honestly.

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    let's not mix up the torchons and the serviettes!

in 23 years aulas has come up with plenty of statements that go beyond the provocative into the foolhardy, but none that carry the mind-numbing stupidity that characterizes dassier's almost every word.

results? it's true that dassier's presidency has brought OM their first title after 17 years of floundering (but who knows? that might be margarita's influence!). when he's put them on the podium 11 straight seasons and the CL knockout rounds as often as any team in europe over the same period we can almost start a comparison. almost because JCD started out with the second biggest budget in L1, JMA started out in the ventre mou of D2.

aulas was a sportsman. an entrepreneur. and above all, a born and bred lyonnais who took over the club the way joan of arc took the dauphin to reims. dassier is a subjournalist who worked his way up the ORTF and radio france kissing ass and stabbing backs. and he's parisian. he doesn't care about your club any more than i do.

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    In the pathetic category, Dassier, Triaud, Martel head the top of the list. Throw in the St. Etienne and Monaco bosses and you got a decent top 5. Aulas and even Leproux are way down the list.

8. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Excuse me my lord, but no matter what Aulas has done in the past, he's still a fool everytime he opens his mouth. We got an exemple recently when he put pressure on the referees of Marseille-Lyon.
    I'd even say that Dassier has a long way to go before reaching Aulas's level when it comes to dumb statements.

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'm not sure you can put much blame on dassier. i imagine his role is just chairing meetings between margarita's and josé's people to forge and manage transfer policy. his opinion on players is likely no more important than tonini's.

he's made at least three or four idiotic statements this week* but this one, on the surface at least, is sensible (even if the pressure every bit as high in lyon or paris as at marseille at base the reasoning is valid; there's every possibility that gameiro or sow could flounder in marseille, as did koné, ziani, zubar...) and presidential (he's justifying a staff decision). the hic is that while doing that he also makes clear that rémy and gignac were didier's choice. considering the atmosphere between DD and JA, that's far from gratuitous.

now let's examine the choice in question, or rather choices since gignac/sow and rémy/gameiro can be considered independently.

gignac is a local, born and bred just down the road in martigues. but he's one of those players like xavier gravelaine, who remains wildly overrated for a long time on the basis of one huge season. another misleading stat is the goals he's scored in europe and in the EdF: nominally high pressure situations but a closer look shows that he's good... when the competition is trabzonspor or the faroe islands. he hasn't shone in the face of adversity in his career; when he arrived at téfécé he wilted in front of competition for his spot.

that said, moussa sow's great start to this season is something no one could have predicted. i'm no fan of luis fabiano either. the real puzzler is why they didn't make the effort to keep niang for at least another season instead of making an overhyped signing like gignac.

now for rémy. if OM really had the choice between him and gameiro personally i'd have preferred gameiro: i've been watching loïc ever since he was in the CFA, and am amazed his stock has risen so high. even at nice the numbers he put up never seemed to correlate to any real value to the team, who paradoxically played better without him. but stats put them fairly equal, and so does their production this season.

* "the tie with MU? 50%-50%!" OK dude, whatever! (later he blamed this on his tranquilizers, which may explain a great deal more.)

* "with [luis fabiano], we almost had a catastrophe. i congratulate myself every day not to have signed him". true maybe, but saying it in so many words lacks class.

"winter arrivals? none. except maybe kakuta. no, kakuta doesn't interest us. maybe someone else. but only on loan. but then again maybe not." again, whatever.

* but the cherry on top is using immédiateté yesterday while calming down (stirring up?) the DD/JA debate, just getting in under the wire to win the marie-ségo award for worst neologism of 2010.

11. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Xavier Gravelaine was a great player dude, like a superior version of Mickael Pagis. He was everything I look for when I wanna watch football. Class, talent, intelligence.

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's normal for you to say that! after he led the league in scoring at SMC the only team he ever played well for (among about a dozen) was OM, and at the period where times were toughest! that says something good about him right there.

the intelligence i'll grant you, even if his commentary on france télévision makes it hard to defend: better a steady diet of the good-natured gaffes of "cire et cernes" (what my daughter calls fab & xav) than 10 minutes, nay 30 seconds, of the diatribe of well-spoken, self-appointed geniuses like duga, menès... or myself!

13. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  14. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    i have mixed feelings about gignac, ive always view him as trezgoal type of player, one who taps in crosses sent to him not. i thought it was too easy for him at toulouse, that challenge was what he needed but alas. lets wait and see, it would be foolish to sell him after just season, keep him one more season see how he does, meanwhile look for better striker as back up

15. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
  16. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    My L1 wishlist:

-Sissoko (Toulouse)
    -Gameiro (Lorient)

17. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

heyyyy thats my wish list!:p

18. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
  19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  20. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    To replace Mandanda in case he leaves, I'd go for either Ruffier (Monaco) or Ospína (Nice). Taiwo is probably bound to leave so I'd try to sign Tremoulinas from Bordeaux.

And since Heinze is probably leaving, I think we could sign Ecuele Manga (Lorient) as his replacement: young and promising, very strong.

21. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    he's gone , he's a milanista now

22. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    __________Mandanda__________
    Azpi___Mangane__Mbia__Trémoulinas
    ______Lucho______Cheyrou________
    Remy_____Gilardino_______Ayew

Someone posted this lineup on OMPlanete and I think this would be my ideal lineup but theres a lot of problems with it in that Lucho is probably gone, Azpi wants to go back to Spain, Alou Diarra could sign with PSG, and Gilardino would eat up most of the transfer budget not to mention putting Gignac on the bench after all the money you paid for him isnt smart business. I think you could save some money by going with Diawarra for 1 more year and not recruit a central defender. It would hard to try to squeeze Valbuena in there if Lucho stays and me personally Id rather keep Lucho and sell Valbuena.