Training Grounds catch-all

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Lancaster FC, Jan 17, 2014.

1. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sorry, haha, my family refers to any train in Philly as the el.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  2. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Those owners have a right to try and do business too. If the U don't like it they should either buy the land, or lower their own prices. It's pretty straightforward.

So is the STH free-parking pass an effort to lower demand for that lot?

BuddhaWake and lopezzzz repped this.
  3. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm not arguing about a free market and pricing, but the city hasn't been angels in all of this.

And I think I'm right in this, but if that ramp was finished when the stadium opened I bet you that would've ended up being lot A.

Are the prices too high to park in a gravel lot? Absolutely, they should be 15 bucks at MOST.
    But the city moved the goal posts as far as taking a certain percentage of taxes on game day revenue and then granted a permit to a lot that funnels people directly into a lot before the club owned lots.

If I was the team I would be pissed about that as well. That was what I was getting at. Its a crappy situation all over, but the city has essentially cut off its nose to spite its face.

And now development that WAS going to take place in chester and bring in tax dollars will be going elsewhere. And that is just a training facility, what if they then move the teams headquarters elsewhere because of this.

Its a big picture issue that the city isn't looking at, and is instead going to drive tax dollars OUT of a city that is struggling right now, and I can't see at all how that in any way HELPS the city of Chester or its residents.

Doop, EmeraldDawn and jaykoz3 repped this.
  4. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    honestly, i wonder if the practice facility by spring 2014 statement was to fulfill a contract obligation of a DP. Now it's blame it on Chester City,

...opps now its going to be "60-90 days" until the next pre-meeting meeting.

blaming it on Chester just seems weak.

UnionDues, BuddhaWake and Handsome Pete repped this.
  5. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team can be mad all it wants. It's a free country. Just don't act like Chester *owes* you some sort of protection from competition. The Union have already gotten a better deal building in Chester than they would have in any municipality in the region, and they've gotten that deal because the city is so desperately in need of the tax revenue and investment. The Union promised that...and then didn't build the developments they promised *and* dragged their feet on paying their taxes (oh, to be rich!). Now they want to moan about not getting more "protection" from the city? Puh-lease.

It's also simply a fact that the team does not have pockets as deep as other clubs in MLS--just like it's true that the team's owners are massively rich as compared to ordinary folks (and especially as compared to ordinary Chester residents).

6. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your tithing to the church didn't get us to the playoffs so far. I think the good Lord wants $20 a game.

sentrido, UnionDues, BuddhaWake and 3 others repped this.
  7. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Lancaster FC, lopezzzz and drewuke repped this.
  8. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Boom!

Kinda hope that we don't loose all of lot b. I have the coolers that I have to take from the Bearfight tailgate back to my car. If we loose all of lot that might mean pulling two giant coolers back to my car.

But excited nonetheless

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  9. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12 months for 2,400 sf of office space? Something tells me the comma's in the wrong place.

11. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't take that long to build it, it will just take that long to decide what they want to do. It sounds like it will just be a space remodel in a larger building.
    http://www.bpgroup.net/wharf-rivertown.htm
    Does anyone know if there are any companies currently using this building? web answers seem to be conflicting.

12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure the Union's existing offices are already in the Wharf.... I'm also 99% certain Power Home Remodeling Group is in there, and I feel like there are a few other companies.

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second field is the interesting thing for me.

The second field at the planned facility, Sakiewicz said, will lend itself to outside opportunities, just as his ownership group has made PPL Park available to a wide range of sporting events. PIAA playoff games? Youth championships? Early-round U.S. Open Cup matchups? Training for traveling international clubs? Player combines?

“Nothing is off the table,” Sakiewicz said.

So I assume there will be some sort of stand there, would be interesting for 5-10K in bleacher seats for early USOC games.

15. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You are exactly right. One of the guys in my group works for power, and they are within a floor of the u offices.

16. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "unfriendly business environment" gtfo

17. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why they would use that field for early USOC games. They own PPL Park so it doesn't cost them to rent the place unlike DC. I guess maybe cost of operations would greater than revenue from ticket sales. But personally I would prefer it at PPL.

18. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it costs money to keep up facilities and have staff on hand. If you open up the second field for bleachers only, throw a few portapotties out there, you can save on manning concessions and needing a ton of security.

christie3 and EmeraldDawn repped this.
  19. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks better on TV when the stadiums are full. So I take this to mean that they plan to televise the USOC matches.

christie3 and lopezzzz repped this.
  20. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yeah i have had the same spot in lot b for the past three years , dont wanna lose it

21. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if lot B could end up being "permit only" parking instead of permit and cash

22. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love USOC games at a smaller Bleacher seating stadium... IF ITS DONE RIGHT!!! Good bleachers against a nice field looks good.... Harrisburg City Islanders style (Horrible bleachers on a terrible field), is bad.

thomas19064 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  23. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hey, there's something to be said for getting drunk on City Island and enjoying the view.

24. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took it upon myself to edit that for you. Id go in a heart beat and sit on the horrible bleachers if they scrapped the music.

Starpork repped this.
  25. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And told their PA announcer the SHUT UP during the game.

Starpork repped this.