Training Grounds catch-all

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Lancaster FC, Jan 17, 2014.

1. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    That is exactly what it reads like. "Big bad Chester won't let us build what we want when we want"

OwlSaver repped this.
  2. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Chester will let them build but will then charge them property taxes on the improvements. It sounds like they want the cheap land in Chester as well as Tax Abatements. I would like a new Mercedes for $500 but it is not going to happen.

Tyr and BuddhaWake repped this.
  3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Union are a Business, ran by businessman. Of course they want to get the best deal possible. While some fans might not like or agree with it, they are doing what is in the best interests of the club. If any of us were in their position we'd do the same thing, try to get the best deal for our business.

Of course with all of the developers rushing to build in Chester......the Union should agree to the terms that Chester wants before they get outbid.......

ericlfd repped this.
  4. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 miked9, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    "Businessmen" in this case meaning "people trying to weasel their way out of tax obligations, as usual"

From that PSP piece:
    How dare Chester approve these things which directly benefit Chester residents...

sentrido, derek750, UnionDues and 2 others repped this.
  6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is it a coincidence that the team is offering free parking this season? Trying to put these other lots out of business. Although, with the speed they arrived previously, they'll surely be back at the beginning of 2015.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  7. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i think that, and they also built in the cost of the parking by charging nearly the same amount for tickets for less matches. im sure they figured it out so its about the same. also, i have lot b parking now, what were they planning on doing with me when construction started?

8. RGRAY55

RGRAY55 Member

Philadelphia Union
    Apr 10, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should build the practice site in the Philly somewhere. Much like what the Chicago fire is doing in their city. However, Delco is going to be cheaper for sure.

9. RGRAY55

RGRAY55 Member

Philadelphia Union
    Apr 10, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POSTED this in the wrong spot.

They should build the practice site in the Philly somewhere. Much like what the Chicago fire is doing in their city. However, Delco is going to be cheaper for sure.

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the reasons why they built the stadium outside the city lines.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  11. RGRAY55

RGRAY55 Member

Philadelphia Union
    Apr 10, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. One can dream of it being in the city and I liked what Chicago did because the community can use it for pickup and etc. I'd love a field to play personally on that was easily accessible by public transit.

TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  12. Richard Saunders

Apr 8, 2008
    Marlton, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delco or Chester....I don't care. Just build the damn thing already!

13. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago's practice facility for their first team is right by Toyota Park. The new dome on Chicago's north side will be practice space for their youth teams as well as community outreach. This isn't totally separate from what the Union is doing at YSC (though YSC is way out of the way for a lot of folks).

Penn Park's field is right by the University City septa stop and there are open rec leagues during the week (through PSSC, PSN, and maybe Casa), as well as pickup on the weekends (Sunday at 1030 if you're interested).

It would have been amazing if the Union could have got that spot, but let's not pretend that the Union have anywhere near the pockets or clout that Penn does

14. RGRAY55

RGRAY55 Member

Philadelphia Union
    Apr 10, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woah! I did not realize that Penn Park was available for the public. Thanks for the update this makes a lot of sense.

15. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penn's sports teams get first dibs on the facilities, but I've played in leagues there and play pickup there every Sunday. Lots of people come down there in the morning to play- refugees, immigrants, etc. Fun times. I've also played on the grass fields there even though signs say you're not allowed, the security folks have never said anything.

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to it being more expensive, the players would get hit with wage tax on practice days which would be tougher on the lower paid players.

17. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    No, their pay comes from mls. Their direct deposit literally says major league soccer

18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My pay comes from a very large company in NY as well, but I work in Philly so I get hit with Philly wage tax... try again. :)

lopezzzz repped this.
  19. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah that's valid, and you're prob right. However I'm not sure if the league withholds upfront or the player is responsible, like 1099 style

20. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either way, they are going to have to pay. Visiting team players have to pay as well.

21. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    What I think a lot of people are missing the fact of with the other lot is this….

It wasn't needed.

It is direct competition to the lots the team built and offers, it isn't like this lot was needed. And it is taxed at the same rate that the PPL lot is. The difference is that lots overhead is probably drastically lower then what the union has to offer so it eats into parking lot sales the union was counting on. (this lot does NOTHING for the city of chester that lots A,B,C didn't d0)

I could understand if the team didn't have ENOUGH parking but it has 3 lots, all that huge lot under the ramp did was take money directly from the team. Again the team is collecting the same taxs from game day parking.

So the city pissed off a partner to essentially get a couple bucks for a permit for a parking lot. So now the team will be building practice facilities in another area of the region and bringing that tax revenue with them over a couple of bucks that they made off a permit. The city screwed this up by allowing that lot.

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  22. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    If it wasn't needed then people wouldn't use it so then it would fail thus it would be a non-issue. Yet it is an issue. I also like how you say, "the lots the team built". funny! When they are paved and marked then I'll count it as "built"

sentrido and cwelch999 repped this.
  23. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    People use it because it is the first lot they see so they ASSUME that its a union owned lot, and they undercut the team on the price to park. And regardless of WHY people use it, the reason I said it wasn't needed was simply put the stadium only holds X amount of people that the other lots can hold and did hold before that lot was opened.

Yes I wish it was paved, but seriously if they take that money and use it to build a training facility I couldn't care less that we park in gravel.

Also one of the other reasons the lots aren't paved is eventually they are hoping to have development in lots B-C so it makes no sense to spend millions to pave those lots just to rip the pavement up to build on the site.

24. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    What was the original intent of the space? for development? If that is the case then the union are making money on something that wasn't agreed upon. If They were to be parking lots all along then they want to build something in its place but not pay (whatever it would be RE estate tax, improvement taxes). Can't have it both ways.

UnionDues and Lancaster FC repped this.
  25. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I thought there was a threshold that had to be met before the wage tax triggered. Like a certain percentage of your work time needs to be spent in city limits. If I take a meeting in Philly, I'm pretty sure I don't owe taxes for that day of work.