Training facilty

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, Apr 23, 2014.

1. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Makes sense, at a guess there will be a permanent campus built in Westchester ready for the end of this lease

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 msilverstein47, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the same knuckleheads that made a stink when the town & college overwhelmingly approved the project. Sure it's a nuisance but it won't stop anything.

7. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It did stop it.. NYCFC had no time to wait for the issue being sorted apparently

Manhattanville College president Jon C. Strauss says, is a huge blow for the college and the community.
    “It is unfortunate that a small group of very well resourced citizens (PEPA) chose to pursue this action against the College,” he said in a statement. “Had this partnership come to fruition, it would have provided $10 million in much needed capital improvements, important academic and internship opportunities, and invaluable publicity to the College. Moreover, the planned NYCFC Academy teams and summer soccer camps would have been of great benefit to the youth of Purchase and Westchester County.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/manhattanville-training-facility-26182/

SoccerPrime repped this.
  8. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Do you guys finally understand why the Red Bulls/MetroStars are based in NJ?

It's next to impossible to get something of this size and scope done in the Metro Area (within NY State) without offending someone.

5 boroughs? At this point, NYCFC will be lucky to find permanent venues and facilities south of Putnam County.

You guys dissed Yonkers so far . . . hope that decision doesn't come back to haunt NYCFC.

9. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a frustrating decision to me. The temporary restraining order was not granted by the judge. The "traffic disruptions" complaint is nonsense, those roads can certainly handle 30 additional cars on them. After that it becomes a lot harder for the NIMBYs to stop the case. I know it is easier to avoid the hassle but this is one fight with NIMBYs that I think could have been won.

10. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Your from the area - you should know the people very well.

You've got a County Executive (who's now running for Governor, by the way) who is refusing to follow the orders of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to develop affordable housing in the wealthy white towns of Westchester. A lot of these wealthy white Westchesterites have a lot of clout and they are fighting the entire juggernaut of the Feds to make sure low income (mostly minorities) families can't move into their neighborhoods.

You think these same people are scared or incapable of fighting (and defeating) NYCFC ?

Even though everybody says "Westchester" , fans have got to realize it's not one unified area like NYC - there are so many diverse towns, villages, and big cities within Westchester that each has its own government, rules, and even culture. You've got to refer to the specific areas and these areas that are small, more suburban, and wealthy (like Purchase, etc) aren't going to be down for this.

I told you - Yonkers was the best path, but a lot of you guys fought, argued and derided me. You've alienated a lot of potential people with that attitude and Yonkers may not wait much longer for NYCFC ...

11. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just a general question: why is it necessary to build a new facility for training? And why is NYC FC looking outside the City for this? Is there no college campus (or even high school campus) in New York City that is suitable, in its current state, to serve as the practice facility of an MLS team?

Even if NYC FC broadens its search to outside the City, I'm still not clear on why finding a training location is such an involved process, and why the team wants to build anew. For a long time the Giants trained at Fairleigh Dickinson University and the Jets at Hofstra. NYC FC's needs surely cannot be as extensive as those of an NFL team.

12. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    This issue isn't whether or not there is a college/high school campus that could serve as a facility. The issue is that why would a college/high school make room for an MLS team when they've got their own students and their own athletic programs that are the priority?

NYC Colleges are under a lot of pressure to please their students and they need the facilities available for their own athletic programs. Fordham, Columbia, NYU - they aren't going to bend over for NYCFC

At this point, NYCFC better forget about all this "5 boroughs as a principle" non-sense and get their act together. All of this emphasis on excluding areas for facilities because they aren't in this area or that area is KILLING the club's chances.

13. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In return for the rent that NYC FC would pay, presumably.

14. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Yes, but the "rent" comes at "too big" a price for most colleges.

Let me explain. So, the college let's say makes money on the rent. But, then you've got to tell students and your athletic programs that "the field is off limits at this day and time" or "you can't use the facilities in the training room on these days, etc."

NYCFC training + restrictions on students/athletic programs = Students/athletic program gets pissed

Students/athletic program are angry + bad publicity + parents who pay tuition are outraged = less students, less money, and big problems

Public colleges will be angry because they'll view it as a waste of tax payer dollars while Private, expensive colleges will be afraid of student/parent backlash.

Now, it's possible they'll find a place to make a good arrangement - but it's going to be very, very tough.

15. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Westchester was the choice location for training facilities because..
    A) It´s easy access to Yankee stadium
    B) Most of the NYCFC top brass live there *cough*

But it doesn´t have to be in Westchester of course..

16. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    If they took that same attitude about a stadium in the 5 boroughs, there'd probably be a stadium plan already.

17. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    And if they wanted a team in Rochester it would have been built already..

18. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    There's hundreds of miles between Rochester and NYC. I'd hope a Man City marketing agent would've learned that fact about the region for their new team.

19. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I assume that you know that there are New Yorkers on the Man City board..

20. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    And I assume you know why the Rochester comment wasn't funny or particularly insightful.

21. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    But it was the truth.. The more desirable the location, the more patience, money and clout you need.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering just the mere threat of a lawsuit motivated NYCFC to pull out of the Manhattanville College agreement because "NYCFC can't that long"; you have to imagine that they must already have some alternative in mind.

Are there other public higher education facilities in Westchester area that could also accommodate NYCFC?

23. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There actually was a lawsuit filed from my understanding. Although the judge declined to enforce a restraining order on NYCFC. So NYCFC could have built the facility while waiting for the lawsuit to come to an end. However, I hope you are correct that the team has something in the works.

I now that SUNY Purchase is right there as well and has a very large campus. I'm sure they would be willing to host NYCFC under a similar agreement as with Manhattanville College.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They better hurry up, Jason and David need a place to kick the ball around. Reyna in goal?