trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't make his statement any less true. The English are crap for a myriad of reasons.

2. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International results indicate English players ARE overrated and your preference is sound.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure why there is this American obsession with English soccer. I guess the English language has a lot to do with it.

Anyway, getting back to the thread, instead of looking for free agents in England and hoping and praying for the second coming of Simon Dawkins, juding by Borussia & Bayern's performances in the CL, maybe the Quakes should sign some Germans? :)

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spanish soccer it is usually just a contest between Real and Barcelona.

Italian soccer has had too many scandals for me to take it seriously.

"English" soccer is not really "English". A majority of the players are not from the British Isles. It's more like the United Nations. I can see great players from dozens of countries there, and also see different styles of play, it's not all the same. And of course, the announcers are better.

5. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O They invented the game?

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    English teams traditionally play zone with a lot of crosses and Italian teams play man to man an counterattacks. Its evident that England tried to emulate Italian soccer over the last 15 years or so. I.E. hiring Fabio Capello as a national team manger as well as bringing in many Serie A playersand coaches into the EPL.

Italian soccer declined to a point in recent years but their players, especially their national team, are s still pretty strong in my opinion. England has never won anything other than a WC at home 47 years ago and that was with a goal that wasn't even over the line. That isn't that great a record considering they invented the game. Overrated indeed.

7. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I much prefer watching league play, than international play, the latter which tends to be more cautious, defensive, and boring. The English national team is crap, but, I enjoy watching the EPL. Two totally different creatures.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  8. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O This is unbelievably wrong. You can't just lump all English teams together like that. English teams play every style and tactic on the planet. You like tiki taka, 4-3-3, and possession? Go watch Swansea, Arsenal, and Liverpool. You like 4-4-2 longball? Go watch Stoke and West Ham. 3-5-2/5-3-2? Aston Villa. 4-2-3-1? Chelsea and Man United. 4-4-1-1? Man City. In fact many of those teams will often switch their tactics depending on the situation. Man United have also played 4-4-2 five times this year and 4-4-1-1 three times. You like teams that try all of these different systems and suck no matter which one they use? Watch Newcastle.

International soccer is completely overrated. The club level is where the highest level soccer is being played at in the world. International teams are just all-star teams slapped together a couple of weeks before a tiny sample size tournament. Not surprisingly, the all-star teams made up of the most players who play for the same club teams do the best. Because then they aren't just a bunch of individuals, but guys who are used to being each others teammates.

9. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get this thread back on the right direction I think a great trade target would by LA's Michael Stephens. He is only 24 and has been getting less and less playing time every year since his stellar rookie campaign. Only 1 start and 138 minutes so far this season. He is probably also close to the end of his contract so he probably wants to go somewhere where he can get more playing time and earn himself a better contract.

10. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather have Beasley

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure why its such taboo to go against the norm and to each his own but as I posted, I don't watch EPL so I don't know anything about their players and/or teams other than what I see occasionally in European play and some league games on FOX. If you wan to talk tactics, we can go on all day but I just do not care to watch their brand of soccer. Anyway, none of this has anything to do with this thread so moving on.....

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read Hérculez Gómez wants to come back to MLS. I'd rather have hi than Beasley.

13. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neither are realistic options

beasley you have allocation order to deal with b/c returning former nat'l team player

KC owns herc's rights

14. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams trade away rights and allocation spots all the time.

15. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herc would be a DP though and we already have one...:rolleyes:

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Robbie Rogers is coming back to either the Gals or Seattle. Controversial as it is, it would be good to have a player of his skills on the Quakes..

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like the idea of Beasley, he has done quite well with his club in mexico. That said Im sure Chicago are also thinking they need a player of his skillset and they have his rights, and i reckon if he came back to MLS he would wanna go there.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know you can't judge a national team performance but he seemed out of place on defense in his last international game for the USA. Maybe he was playing out of position?

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well of course he was, that goes back to Klinsmann being an inept judge of talent and where to play a player. Beasley at left back ahead of Morrow tells me all i need to there. Beasley is a great left mid option.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He played DaMarcus Beasley instead of Morrow against Mexico because he probably felt that he had more experience than Morrow and knows the Mexican players as he has been playing in Mexico.

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: Does Klinsmann deserve to be called the inverse of what I wrote here the other day; in other words, "a great player doesn't necessarily make a great coach." It often happens.

22. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh no...what a circus it would be for all the wrong reasons. I'm also pretty sure MLS doesn't want the first gay player in American sports to play in a small market.
    Also Morrow has been playing like pretty poorly when it comes to contributing in the attack.

23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to get into what constitutes a market debate, but, if Rogers did come to the Quakes the news of it would not be confined to the San Jose area, it would be bay area wide, (and beyond) and that market is much bigger than Seattle's.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    San Jose and the Bay Area are considered small? Really? An area of 6,984 sq mi and 7.15 million people? We are bigger than some small countries and we are considered a small market?

25. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty small especially when he would play in front of 10k every other week. MLS will want to milk this.

Also why in the world are people now saying we are not a small market team? First people say we don't get a DP because we are not NY or LA or Seattle. But when it comes to Rogers we are now a big market? Great consistency.