Trade: Adrian Serioux to Houston (from Metro Reds) for O'Rourke

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by LordGhoti, Mar 24, 2006.

1. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston
    I do not have a link but a guy who has been spot on every other rumor surrounding Serioux in the recent past posted this a few minutes ago on MF/****** boards. Supposedly the official announcement will come this weekend. No clue what the Dynamo will be giving up in exchange for Serioux but we may get a good deal as the Metro Reds desperately need a striker, having maxed out their number of SIs (Guevara's supposed green card is not coming soon enough for them) and have failed several times to trade for a non-SI forward (notably Buddle and EJ).

Here is a link to a little bio on Adrian Serioux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Serioux

Supposedly he shut down Donovan in the 0-0 draw in San Diego back in January. That said, not sure why we need a DM with Clark and O'Rourke (unless one will be headed to NJ as part of the trade).

2. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Unsubstantiated Rumor: Adrian Serioux to Houston (from Metro Reds)

You all already have Rico Clark and O'Rourke, why the need for another defensive midfielder? Plus you have Ching, Moreno and Cerritos as frowards, after that not much depth. Would seem that you would need to keep all 3.

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe we're collecting Canadians?

His RBNY bio has him listed as a defender - maybe he can play in central defense?

Still not sure what we'd give up in exchange. Perhaps we'd trade a draft pick and another player (like O'Rourke) that RBNY could turn around and package as part of a trade for someone else?

4. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston

Rumor at MF/****** has it that there is going to be a "spring/summer cleaning" under the new owners and this is just the beginning. Though I am not sure who/what they would want in return for Serioux.

That said, the Metros have seen plenty of rumored trades fail to come through this offseason so this may just be another one.

But I guess we may find out at the game tomorrow when we see who is wearing what generic adidas uniform.

5. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey

Metrofanatic: Serioux for O'Rourke

6. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

actually MF said he didnt know details, but he did say orourke was involved. so maybe some draft picks get included as well or something

edit: nm , heres the article he posted about 1 min after i said that

http://www.metrofanatic.com/mf/story.jsp?ID=3351

7. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC

This would be a terrible trade unless it enables the NY team to get a really special forward. Serioux is the first, um, serious defensive midfielder the NY team has had in years. Watching NY play against DC in Charleston, Serioux amde a big difference. He looked capable of providing Guevara, Djorkaeff and company the freedom from defensive responsibilities that they need to prosper.

I can understand trading Eddie Gaven, even though he is a great talent. But not the first solid defensive (not holding like MiniBob) midfielder the team has had in years. I would do some kind of package deal of Gaven plus parts/allocations to get Brian Ching. After all, the Houston team plays pretty well with Cerritos and Moreno (they have had to learn how) and the NY team could really use a solid center-forward to latch onto crosses from Canero and Henderson.

Of course sense I hate the NY team, I really don't care if they get worse. But Danny O'Rourke. That is a joke.

8. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the reasoning on the MF boards is that the metro reds are in the process of getting what they really need - a GOOD starting (and probably foreign) forward. since they had no more SI slots available, and they werent going to trade youri, canero or guevara, serioux had to go. IF (big IF) the reds can get a good SI forward out of this deal, then it will have worked out well for everyone.

don't wanna stray too far from the dyamos part since this is their board, so i figure i'll ask this here: can anyone here familiar with both michael bradley (former metro holding mid) and o rourke do a quick comparison between the 2?

9. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC

I understand this very well. But wouldn't it have been better to just get an American forward, such as Ching, Wolff, Johnson, etc? The latter two (at least) were available. Or find a way to get a young, but talented guy as a YI? Maybe a high dollar hot-shot from Argentina or something? Getting rid of this guy just seems like a panicky/poor planning kind of decision.

As far as O'Rourke. He was not nearly as steady under ball pressure as Bradley was. This was perhaps exacerbated by the small confines of Spartan Stadium, but the number of misplayed backpasses was alarming when O'Rourke played. Too often he gave up possession to guys who were steaming the other way, leading to too much pressure on the defense. There is a reason why he barely played after mid-season or so. His passing in the attacking half was marginally better, but I don't think he has the field vision that Bradley had. Not that I felt Bradley was all THAT great anyway. I don't think that O'Rourke is so much better a holding/defensive midfielder that he out-rates Mark Lisi (who genuinely can pass). And that is bad, because Mark Lisi is not great at protecting the backline. In a conference where most teams put a lot of pressure on that part of the field.

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the NYRB press release:

11. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    If ya'll ever get a hankering to run a 433, you now have the personnel to do it very well. Serioux and Clark could be your anchors with DeRosario in the hole. You already have excellent fullbacks to add width to the formation and it would allow you to do some cool things with your group of strikers. I wonder what Brad Davis would look like as a left wing-forward? Cerritos would do a great job as a wing-forward on the other side, with Ching or Moreno holding down the middle of the formation.

12. houstonsoccerfan

Dec 29, 2005
    Austin
    It has been very well known that O'Rourke was a candidate for trade. Many thought he would end up back in his hometown of Columbus but apparently that didn't work out. With that in mind though - trading O'Rourke for Serioux doesn't seem to be a blockbuster for either team. O'Rourke was second string to Clark this pre-season after both recovered from their injuries - and - Ianni is also a candidate for depth at that position. The logic of freeing up a Sr. International spot for New York makes some sense, but from a Houston standpoint ??????

13. Bruce (not Arena)

Bruce (not Arena) New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Austin
    It's done.

From MLSNet:
    New York deals Serioux to Houston
    Red Bull New York acquired midfielder Danny O'Rourke from Houston Dynamo on Friday in exchange for midfielder Adrian Serioux. The fourth overall pick in the 2005 SuperDraft, O'Rourke appeared in 13 games for the Earthquakes in 2005. The Red Bulls signed Serioux on March 1.

Oh, Canada:
    Adrian Serioux was signed by the Red Bulls on March 1 after spending the last two seasons with Millwall of England's Second Division. During his time with Millwall, Serioux appeared in 12 games, along with two appearances in the English Carling Cup. The 6-0, 180-pound native of Scarborough, Ontario made his Canadian National Team debut in a World Cup Qualifier against Guatemala on August 4, 2004. He has totaled eight caps in his international career to date.

14. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Well, you'll get him for a year until Toronto 2007.

But for 2006, this is an excellent deal for Houston.

Now when Rico goes on his offensive forays, the space behind him is secure.

This makes Dynamo stronger, no doubt about it.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Serioux can play on the backline as well.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

O'Rourke is essentially a d-mid whereas Bradley is
    a two-way mid. Houston runs the most sophisticated
    midfield attack in MLS and O'Rourke struggled, but in
    a five midfield he'll be OK. He'll provide the defensive
    bite that a Bradley couldn't and won't be as burdened
    in the passing game as he was with Houston.

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This deal makes a lot more sense if he can also play as a competent central defender.

18. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

I agree - my other thought was that maybe they were thinking of trying Ianni at central defender as well. Not knowing the salary hit, it's hard to really say whether this is a good deal for Houston. But, it seems like an upgrade (O'Rourke really did not seem to be improving, and he also was nagged by some injuries late last year and early this year that might have the coaches worried about his durability). I've never seen Serioux play, but from what I've read he sounds like a very strong defensive player, who would be at least as strong a backup for Clark as O'Rourke.

The place Houston seems the weakest (right now, based on injuries) is wing and central defender. They have several guys who play pretty well as outside backs (Gray, Barrett, Aloisi, Waibel, and Goldthwaite is now getting some time). But at inside defender, they have only Robinson (injured), Waibel (this is the first year I believe he's played in the middle), and Cochrane. Gray played central defense in a couple of games last year when there were injuries or redcard suspensions, but he doesn't seem to have the aggressiveness on the ball that a good central defender should have.

Dom does not seem to have tried any different formations during preseason, it seems (based on writeups and radio broadcast of the Carolina Challenge) that they are playing a 4-4-2 all the time. So I'd be very surprised to see a change this late in the preseason as far as formation being played.

19. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston
    Rumor on the MetroFanatic boards is that Serioux was set to make $125,000 this year. O'Rouke pulled in $30,000 base in 2005 and, while probably receiving a raise this year, is likely still well under Serioux's salary.

20. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Based on last year's salaries, that would make Serioux the second highest paid Houston player --

Barrett - $130k
    Ching - $120k
    Onstad - $119k
    Mullan - $95k
    Derosario - $95k
    Cerritos - $75k

Of course, many of the Houston players probably got raises, but still, this puts Serious clearly in the top group of guys salary-wise. That has to make you think they intend to play him somewhere, that's a lot of money for a backup. Now I'm thinking maybe they're thinking of him at central defender.

21. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Serioux really an upgrade from O'Rourke considering how much cap room he takes up?

22. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Some more information on Serioux here

and here

and here

23. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think this is pretty spot on form what i saw last year. O'Rourke seamed to be a good ball tackler and could cover some ground. He is not much at getting into the attack though, kind of an unpolished Chris Armas type.

This trade only makes since if Serioux can play CD otherwise we are getting and older more $$ SI to sit the bench. Unless, maybe we are going to a 5 man midfield which may make sense given the lose of Califf.

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

Serioux is already starting for you guys tonight in central defense.

25. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

And he played quite well. Looks like he might be targeted to play there, maybe this year's version of Danny Califf to anchor the defensive middle.