Tracy, Pizarro, Newton, McGlynn, Gargan, Attakora released

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Nov 22, 2013.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hernendez played like his contract depended on it......i personally did not expect him to keep that post june form, he played lights out.

2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we didn't male the CCL again and assuming the league doesn't up the salary cap much (with all the reports of MLS profitability who knows), we are going to need to trim a good portion of our roster to meet the new, lowered cap. This is just the beginning... wait for some other much harder cuts (and I fully expect that Hernandez will be on that cut list if he's in a contract year).

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry to see Gargan go. He had the longest throwin-in on the team and also played with gusto. So what does that mean for us right fullback-wise, especially if they let Beita go?

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It means we better find the right-sided Jordan Stewart.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bulls just released Brandon Barklage, I'd have him on the phone immediately.

Neuwerld repped this.
  6. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    don't we get allocation cap room for mising the playoffs? Also, we are still in the CCL so would think that increased cap space still applies.

7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than Nana, no real surprises or disappointments. My guess is that Nana concussion issues may have scared the team away. When you miss over half the season with concussion related issues, this is a major problem and you have no idea when it may occur in the future.

8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the back line is still fairly strong without them, although both were pretty good players. Hernandez, Bernardez, Goodson, and Morrow mean four good center backs (provided Morrow plays a little better). Can Morrow play the right side very well? He may be able to slot in for Beitashour or Stewart depending on the situation. I would take this as some evidence of an effort to keep Beitashour, too.

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have to assume that this either means: 1) Doyle is confident that Beita will be here through next season or 2) We have a line on a quality (i.e. starting) right back. If not, then he's totally lost his marbles...

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Gargan is now 31 (or will be soon) and his salary was at about $90k. So I suppose you can make an argument that you could get a younger cheaper player at similar quality, but you are kind of splitting hairs there, and there is the "bird in hand" factor - he is a known quantity. I would have kept him, based on what I know.

mjlee22 repped this.
  11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This also better mean that Harden either has recovered, or is on the mend.

Harden can play center back or right back, so it makes sense that we kept him, assuming that he's healthy, rather than we kept him because you can't waive a player who can't pass the physical.

I liked Gargan, and he does have a great long throw-in. I suppose you can argue that he's a little spendy, especially at 31 ... 27. (Wait a minute, Dan is only 27. We should have kept him.) However, we weren't planning on starting him, only using him as a sub, with the occasional start. I'd have been comfortable with that.

OK, let's hope that either we re-sign Gargan, or we have a couple of potential replacements in our sights.

And let's not overlook that Muma and Goodson are both 31, so we need to have quality backups for them both. (And because Muma will collect too many yellow cards.) Harden is 29 and Hernandez is 30.

And do we think that these were Doyle's moves? I bet that before they made any decision, JD sat down with the coaching staff and they had a long, probably painful, discussion about who to waive, who to trade, and how to restructure the team. I don't think any of these decisions are made by one guy.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Nope, he'll be 31 in a few weeks. He was drafted by CO in 2005.

13. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not heartbroken over Gargan- a tough competitor but i thought he was a turnover machine as his passing was never sharp enough, in my opinion. $90k as backup? we should have better options in Harden- and hopefully Muller, who are both more versatile.

14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Some of us, you know, just pick an age we like and stay there.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Stay there? I go downwards :--).

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for a number two right back i felt he did all we could ask of him. You cant expect number one performance out of a backup and early on in the season lest we forget he and Harden were our best players early on.

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree. He's a competent defender, but he struggles with passing. Especially early in the season. At times he had trouble even making a 5-10 yard pass down the touchline without it going out of play.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm not very bullish on Harden as an outside back. He's too slow maybe even for a central defender let alone an outside back.

mjlee22 repped this.
  19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /\
    This.

20. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the Quakes elegible for the re-draft: DF Nana Attakora, MF Mehdi Ballouchy, DF Dan Gargan, GK Evan Newton

I never saw Ballouchy on the cut list, but no surprise that he is.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope thats a new one......but yeah that one will save us some coin.