Tottenham vs. Arsenal, March 16 Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Phillyspur, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #51 Arsenal_NGA, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
    i will profit by txtechgooner's example.

2. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're stuck living in the shittiest state in the country so i feel bad for you, AND you go to Texas Tech HAHAHAHAHAHAH. what's the matter, couldn't get into a decent engineering school? UT denied you? LOL!

3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah that was mind blowing, ugh

disgusted, we dominate and it's not even that we couldn't finish our chances, we didn't have many! It's not even the players, we have the players, it's the system. Players are obviously not buying into Tim's system and he has had no time to implement it if he even has one.

4. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arsenal, what a joke. Everyone knows top 4 teams score at least 4 against us.

5. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly... It doesn't matter who's in there driving the wing or into the box, they still look just like Lennon with a lousy final ball (shot or pass).

A whole lot of effort & some spirit but still nothing, zip, zero, nada to show for it. This team can't score to save their lives and at home it's worse. Ade at least played his socks off and was a bit unlucky that one of those chances didn't go in. Soldado at the 82nd minute is baffling... A little earlier and maybe he could get in the rhythm of game and contribute. Too little, too late... poor management.

Otherwise we're garbage team lucky to be in 5th. ( 0-1-6) against top 4. Can we get that tattooed to Mr Levy's head?

6. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well that's a bit of an oxymoron. If Tim actually has a "system", it's to work as hard as possible for the shirt. Well it looked like the players bought into that today, and it still didn't work. Can you imagine that? Unfortunately it takes more than just hard work to win a game. It also takes more than just quality players. We have players with both quality and desire to win. What we don't have is a strategy/gameplan/system. Even players with creativity and quality need some instruction.

7. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly think the front office has left us worse off. I can't really blame Tim or even dare I say AVB. I saw shit performances from Chadli and just the same crew over and over. Tim is not without fault by again playing Eriksen out on the left and not in the middle, but to be honest we didn't really improve our team or at the very least stay at the same quality and I put all that on Baldini. Our new striker even though a good guy hasn't made an impact at all for that cost. Paulinho is here and there, Chadli had one wonder strike and that is it, Lamela hasn't been seen in ages so he has had no impact, and Capoue had a good start and hasn't been around the first team since. Eriksen to me is the real deal, but our signings have been poor.

Maybe it's even our fault the fans for having such high expectations for a newly assembled team to gel so quickly and put us in the top 4. Patience is a virtue and our front office obviously doesn't have it and someone needs to hold them accountable. It would have been a nightmare for any coach trying to get this current squad into the CL as it is completely brand new. We played hard today and I mean I guess that is all we can ask for. Tim needs more experience, but I'm happy with him putting confidence in our younger players to get some minutes. I hope this season is a learning experience once again for everyone at the club.

BalanceUT repped this.
  8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I feel like this should mark the end of our pretensions as a Champions League club. (Not this game, this season)Once again we will be thrown into a cycle of new manager, making his mark, player turnover etc. We've had 5 or 6 years of those kind of ambitions, and it makes us all miserable when we miss out year after year. These ambitions make the leadership impatient with managers and players.

I'm not talking about quitting, I'm looking for a slightly longer-term view. Maybe it is a pipe dream to hope for a level of patience and to tolerate a few years of mid-table development. And maybe it is impossible when the fruits of such a strategy could be picked off by Real Madrid or Man City or whoever just as they reach their peak.

dashiel repped this.
  9. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're right and that is my problem.

we have a squad of highly technical players, they aren't old school english footballers that want to bash heads in and score. they need tactics and creativity.

My last gripe about AVB. Levy sold the player he built his entire system around. He replaced him with 5 brand new players that were all supposed to start. We expected him to completely rebuild from the ground up within a few months???? AVB never got his fair shot, if Levy expected him to succeed he should've given him the tools to do so, and that was keeping Bale. Sell Bale end of this season after a transition plan was there, but no one ever had this since no one expected to sell him until we got stupid money for it. stupid money is not enough for loss of top 4.

10. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These players have been bought as investments with only a thought toward future selling and the profit they will turn when it comes time for them to “move on” to greener pastures. Levy (being only accountable to himself) will also put it on Baldini... He will take what's left of the fall (post AVB/Sherwood) and the whole process will start over yet again with another manager and director.

We had a team finally going in the right direction, pushing the top 4 and getting to CL 1/4 finals... Now as always every season is a rebuilding year. We will be lucky to get Europa League again.

phoenixhazard, dashiel and BalanceUT repped this.
  11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The player unhappiness has me thinking that the problem is Levy… he is the common denominator across all the seasons. He's made the critical decisions and it seems they are usually motivated more by profit than on the field performance. I've been supporting of Levy in the past, but I have doubts now. Is it time for Levy OUT?

phoenixhazard and dashiel repped this.
  12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree a bit about AVB not having time. He had the opportunity to pick whomever he wanted, and from what I can tell he got what we wanted, with a few minor variations. If he wasn't able to get them playing decently within 3 months, it's on him.

Hauler and TFC Ajax repped this.
  13. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not entirely sure he did have the ability to bring in whomever he wanted. He wanted David Villa and Hulk and we got Roberto Saldado and Lamela. Two players who have made little to no impression. Two proven vets who would have greatly improved the squad to one vet and one youngster with great resellability. All I know is shit has to be sorted behind the scenes or we are ********ed going forward. If they want this system of a director of football working with the manager get them in a meeting and hash out terms on how it works for christ sakes.

phoenixhazard and BalanceUT repped this.
  14. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Soldado was the 3rd top scorer behind Messi and CR. He may not get the player he want but he still got to work with what he has, which is still a quality player. We didn't give him Crouch.

Roberto Martinez didn't play his favour 3-5-2 at Everton but he adopted a 4-5-1 to fit the players he has in. That's what a good manager should do, learn to adapt.

Funkfoot, dashiel, BalanceUT and 2 others repped this.
  15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both we and Man U missed the boat on hiring Martinez when the opportunity was available.

Hauler and dashiel repped this.
  16. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    #66 dashiel, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    I'm bothered by the post-match silver lining talk. Seems to fundamentally miss the point Arsenal let Spurs play as they recognized there was little threat up front if they marked Ade out of the game.

Phillyspur and phoenixhazard repped this.
  17. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you sure about that, or did Baldini go after whoever Levy wanted?

18. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Sherwood had no clue how to tactically adjust to get goals. You'd think we would be taking long shots with the way Arsenal was sitting back so comfortably. But no, we just sent crosses constantly in the box where Mertesacker was having the match of his life. F8ing fools

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, it was sad knowing at the 2 minute mark that we were going to be shut out.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I hesitate to ask this as I'm afraid it will come off smarmy, which i assure you is not my intention, whatsoever; but ...

... were you supporting spurs before Daniel Levy took over? if so, carry on. if not ... well ... be very careful what you wish for.

21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Levy OUT!

22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I do not pre-date Levy and it's OK that you asked. All of us have a starting date for becoming a fan. For some, born to it by family loyalty (I have that for longstanding fanship of LSU, though I couldn't care much anymore about them as all my family who attended there have died and I didn't attend there), others by making a decision about which club fits their persona best (that would be why I chose Spurs).

But, really, this is starting to suck and I think starting to hurt our ability to attract talent in all levels of the organization.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    oh, of course. I didn't mean to imply that where or how someone gets on board reflects upon any kind of 'status'. it's just that the 10+ years prior to Levy's arrival sucked so far beyond this that you wonder if some of our newer fans really comprehend how bad it can be for a club like spurs.

nobody is more critical of Levy on some things than myself, but 'Levy out' would be very worrying for me. not unlike when we sacked harry, the chances of it turning out worse in the end strike me as far more likely than us getting better.

Count Chocula and Hauler repped this.
  24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    When did Levy take over?

25. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Feb 2001, says wiki...