Tottenham Hotspur @ Chelsea FC, 8 Mar 2014, Barclays Premier League [R]

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by phoenixhazard, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calling it soft suggests there was contact that warranted any kind of judgement. It wasn't even that.

SPUR-ious repped this.
  2. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #102 Hauler, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Wow Tim's post match interview was very telling. I guess it's time to go out and get winners into this club rather then just trying to make a profit. We are more of a business then a football club it is seeming. I would love to know which players could care less.

We played great in the first half and I blame the players for letting the supporters down with this loss. They gave up and personally I'm finding it really frustrating how these players are acting at the moment. Disgusting. We made Chelski look pedestrian in the first and I really thought we had a chance, but once I saw the huge mess up by a man who might very well be off by his own admission I just fast forwarded the game and started to see that score rise. Top 4 isn't happening this year and maybe not for a while if things internally at the club aren't sorted. There is absolutely no stability and no guideline for success here and the little we had under Redknapp was short lived.

3. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1:20 "theres a few I can count on, and a few I wouldn't"

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I cant think of any manager who went to the media to attack players (and not take any of the blame himself) who didnt lose the dressing room.

5. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely ridiculous as usual, a trip and a phantom foul gave away this game. we were looking to win it as well, typical match against chelsea. i really f*ING hate that team

leocal11 repped this.
  6. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, when Vertonghen and Lloris are talking about moving to another club because they don't have champions league they can look in a f*ING MIRROR! If it wasn't for Lloris' terrible gaffes earlier in the season and Vertonghen's trip in this game we might be in top 4. disgrace, absolute

dashiel repped this.
  7. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    sorry guys not trying to start anything or troll, but Tim has now got more defeats with less games played than AVB

8. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that young shit of a referee helped it along.

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    welcome to our boards.

I think with this, though, you are missing the point. calm was implying that, with regard to three specific areas, villas-boas's replacement (tim) was displaying the very characteristics that had made his predecessor unpopular. I was simply saying that, despite displaying said characteristics, it was still an improvement - not in results, mind, but just in these attributes - over villas-boas, because villas-boas possessed them in still greater measure. it was less substantive commentary on either than a slightly jocular admission that both are a bit crap in certain regards.

but by all means, feel free to come by and defend andre villas-boas. there are actually still some spurs fans that do it, too.

:D:D

his spurs teams played shit football, though, mate. before and after spending 100m quid. i mean, really, really shit.

10. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Can't be too hard on Tim for his post-match comments. He knows he's a dead coach walking and I believe he told it like he sees it. Is he a good PL manager? No, but I think he might have a good handle on some of the personalities on the team, and he just let it fly. What's he got to lose?

Michael Oliver, your age showed...just in case you're reading the board.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  11. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Doubt Sherwood was talking about Ade given he brought him back from the youth team and Ade responded brilliantly. Ade just seems like a good guy who gets along with everyone.

12. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after Liverpool, Man City, and then this one, I think Sherwood may have a point about the character of the squad

13. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bottom line things are confusing internally. What coach would come here with this kind of situation. AVB wanted certain players and never got them and instead got good players, but not the players he wanted to use in his system. I'm not defending him I'm just stating that the coach carousal at the club is preventing managers who are coming in from really doing anything worthwhile if they aren't given time. If you look at Harry's CL team we had at least 4 world class players. That helps in getting to Top 4. Yes, we can blame Tim and say he is inexperienced, but bottom line is the team that is currently put together is poorly put together by a director of football that was obviously not on the same page as AVB.

Forget about prestige in the next manager we get I want there to be a solid understanding between DOF and Manager to get players in the club and have the appropriate backroom staff to take us forward. Once that happens we will start to see benefits. When Harry was able to go out and get players in of his own accord look what happened. We became really good. Now not so much.

I'm a firm believer in having a good infrastructure that allows for a professional team to go forward. Look at my beloved Knicks. Shit hierarchy=no success on the court. I can't even remember the last time we won a title and it has been at least two decades since we have been in a finals. Get the behind the scenes sorted and the on field success will come.

Bringing in Van Gaal sounds good in theory, but I'm sure he will clash with Levy and co and if that happens will there be problems in building his kind of team? Will we be able to finance another restructure of the squad for a highly touted manager who will want to put his stamp on things from day one. Guaranteed, if Tim is saying there are some weak characters in the dressing room Van Gaal will want to put an end to that asap as he is a perfectionist and obviously doesn't deal with BS.

I believe Colm!

Count Chocula repped this.
  14. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh... Still got Europa League to be positive about (for now). Expectations for this season are depressingly low that way even a 5th or 6th finish will not seem so bad. Don't worry I'm sure Levy is working very hard on his abacus this very moment to remedy the situation.

15. Raffaelo

Raffaelo Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Wandering the Desert
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    This is what worries me the most.

16. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im one of them :p

thing with AVB was he had some major flaws but we were slowly moving forward, Sherwood I feel is as good as he is gonna get. AVB was looking long term, Sherwood short term (not his fault since he knows Levy is already looking). The biggest problem with Spurs this season is EXACTLY what would have been Liverpool this season if they sold Suarez. You can't sell your best player and replace him with a bunch of good players and expect it to click right away. Next season with a few fullbacks and maybe another CB and I think we can be fantastic, but we need to build to that, it's not gonna happen over night. Now if Levy had the capital to do this he should have bought all these players first and then sold Bale next season so we would have a much smaller learning curve to go through. I imagine he might have been thinking this but then Real threw insane money and Levy couldn't resist. Making top 4 this season sadly would've been worth more than the extra 20mil Levy got for selling Bale this season than next.

Not trying to defend AVB completely, just saying he was given a machine with a bunch of parts that need to be tweaked to work together... Any manager would've failed this season to make top 4 in my opinion (it's just such a competitive season)

17. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mancini's name has been thrown around a lot too, I wonder if he has a good relationship with Baldini. In a lot of ways I want Levy to just back the f* off and let Baldini do it all. At least then you know he will find a manager that he can work with in the same vision.

18. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Tim but I also think he was a tad harsh. We were the better team for most of the match. Vertonghen's stupid stupid stupid decision f*ed us and then the foul that never existed f*ed us even more (hopefully we ask the FA to rescind the 1 game ban on Kaboul). After that then the team obviously lacked character and seemed to not give a shit anymore.

MAJOR POINT FOR ME:
    No one has discussed this yet, Dawson leaving the pitch changed the match. You can complain all you want about his quality as a CB (i personally believe he is incredibly underrated) but he is the heart and soul of the team. He is the only player out there that seems to bleed for Spurs, he is the only guy out there that truly loves our club and wants to stay (hell he fought it when they tried to sell him). Him leaving hurt us not only tactically but mentally.

Count Chocula repped this.
  19. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree he had a bad game, but we probably could have been down to 10 men within one minute, so that kind of evened out.

The reality is their back 4 made 0 mistakes - our defense made 6 and we got burned on 4.

20. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    losing both CBs in the same match will seriously hurt any team, let alone that one of them is thru a red card.

but its still inexcusable how many 4+ goal losses Spurs have had this season.

21. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if that happens is the policy within the club to get players that have resellability rather then getting players in regardless of age in the club to win trophy's and be a constant in the top 4. At the moment it seems we are strictly of the business mindset.

22. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not necessarily - soldado doesn't fit in that mold

23. xman818

xman818 New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    hey guys,

I'm a spurs fan from the US and I'm planning on coming to London for the game vs Arsenal (it's during my spring break). I went on Stubhub to buy tickets and it said I need to be a One Hotspur member to collect the tickets?

"You can buy tickets to this match only if you're a One Hotspur member, who was a full member by 20 January 2014. The One Hotspur Member, with a valid membership card will be the only person authorised to collect your order. You must be a Tottenham Hotspur supporter to use these tickets.
    Tottenham Hotspur reserves the right to deny access to anyone suspected of being a supporter of the opposition"

How would you suggest I obtain tickets?

Thanks guys!

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    hmmm ... depends. I'm a One Hotspur member and I will be at that game, so I would be glad to pick it up for you ... if it's allowed. what I'm getting at is that they'll know that I've already purchased a ticket on my membership, which means that one of our tickets - mine or yours - could possibly be used by a non-member - so they may not allow me to pick it up. it's also possible (probable?) that upon entering with said ticket, the bearer will need to produce his membership card - as I will have to do on my way in.

that said, if you could establish that it's acceptable to the club for a member to pick it up for a non-member's use, I'd be glad to help ... on the condition, of course, that you're really a spurs fan. :p I can't say that I'm optimistic about all of that, though, to be honest - particularly as they not only require membership, but membership from a certain earlier date. I hope you haven't already paid for the ticket, mate, because I'm not sure of your odds, here.

25. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where do you live in the States. I would kill to get some Spur swag for my office but it's impossible to find in the states. Like a poster or random shit. I'll gladly paypal you to ship to me in Seattle too