Tottenham Hotspur @ Chelsea FC, 8 Mar 2014, Barclays Premier League [R]

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by phoenixhazard, Mar 6, 2014.

1. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Get Sandro out of there.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    damn. daws off. with kaboul out for the NLD, this could be bad.

3. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Certainly not interested in hearing any more from Vertonghen about how he needs to evaluate his career at Spurs if the aren't playing CL next season.

4. biniman90

biniman90 Member

Aug 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea players live on the ground.

5. Crafty

Crafty Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea finally got value for throwing themselves down all match. Hopefully Oliver is reffing down in the Championship next week.

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    damn, this game can't get over soon enough.

7. Crafty

Crafty Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Spurs are ever going to get fair treatment against a 'top' team.

8. Merck

Merck Member

May 7, 2007
    Buford, Georgia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    North London Comedy Club

9. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    ********s sake

10. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Reminds me of the FA Cup game from two seasons ago when the referee handed the game to Chelsea.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you mean when the referee handed them an advantage and we utterly collapsed?

12. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    That's the one, this wasn't as egregious a gift.

13. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well almost every big game this season the same story, suffer a setback and the team collapses. Weak management and a squad with not enough mental strength. Can only be sorted out with a proper managerial appointment in the summer and backing him fully. No more pissing about, otherwise it will just keep repeating.

14. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    6-0 at Man City
    5-0 vs Liverpool
    5-1 vs Man City
    4-0 at Chelsea

At least the scores are getting closer.

Sorry that's all I have for positives.

15. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sherwood is pissed at what happened AFTER the 2nd goal. he says not enuf fight, lack of character, and not enough meanness.

I think Ade in particular is an object of his ire....

16. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    We've got to be in the running for highest ever point total with a negative goal difference.

On a serious note, so Levy fired (and paid severance to) AvB and replaced him with a Manager who:

- fails to recognize his defenders are ill suited to play a high line so continues to do so;
    - seems unable to inject any fluidity into our play so that we rely on sparse moments of brilliance to scrape past poor sides and get stuffed by good sides; and
    - occasionally alienates players who seem to fill clear needs (Capoue / Adebayor)

Great bit of business, Daniel

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I saw that interview, as well.

what's particularly frustrating is how one of the best things about the first half was how it appeared that the players had bought into today's plan, and how they all seemed to be working for Tim and for each other. fast forward 45 minutes, and it's all gone tits up.

without going back and looking up results, it seems to me that we've responded pretty well to our other ass-kickings this season. I hope we have the character to do so now.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    to be fair, though, tim does each of those things less severely and committedly than did AVB, himself.

19. Raffaelo

Raffaelo Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Wandering the Desert
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well, at least that's over.

20. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    I don't know Pook. Let's disregard my third point because ultimately what's happened behind closed doors is unknown so it's hard to judge what were the correct decisions there.

In relation to the high line, I think AvB deserves extra "discredit" for getting rid of 2 players (Caulker, Assou-Ekotto) whose pace would certainly suit the system. However, how many times does Daws have to be booked for a body check on the half way line for Tim to realize either he gets dropped or we give up on the high line?

In relation to the fluidity issue, Tim came in saying the right things about a possession-based game. However possession is all about tempo (teams who move the ball slowly get closed down quickly) and Tim's favored central midfield pairing of Dembele and Bentaleb are too ponderous for us to keep the ball moving swiftly. The three players who could potentially change things are Eriksen (who Tim has out on the left or not playing at all when losing against Norwich), Holtby (who Tim jogged on to Fulham) and Carroll (left at QPR). On this point, Tim for me is as bad as AvB.

Count Chocula repped this.
  21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it's a bit of a duff argument, though, really. you say 'tim's as bad as AVB' and I say 'AVB was even worse'; but we're splitting hair's here, aren't we?

:D

your 'great bit of business' point stands. we're basicly still in the same shit. all I'm saying - light-heartedly, to be sure - is that it was, to my mind, slightly smellier shit before.

... I may be agreeing with you soon, though. the next couple weeks will be telling.

calmanalysis repped this.
  22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    unfortunately, that may not be the case. tim's postmatch interview is blowing up.

I rather liked it, to be honest. but we'll have to wait and see how it plays out in the locker room. if he loses some players - and indispensable ones, at that - I won't be shocked.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    one last point, before I move on and make something of my Saturday ...

tim's apparent frustration with players who don't give their all, regardless of the situation, makes me wonder just a bit why he's shipped off lewis holtby. perhaps his skillset was somewhat redundant with others of our midfield, but at least he put a shift in, whether ahead, behind, starting, or off the bench.

dashiel repped this.
  24. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure it was totally players giving it their all, as much as the personality some of them have...Ade didn't look like he have given up or stopped playing, but Ade is pretty friendly with many players in the league, and was smiling and joking a bit too much with some Chelsea players, and Sherwood was expecting his players to be pissed off at being down 4-0

pookspur repped this.
  25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    fair point.