Toronto v Rapids P/I/P Sat 4/12 2:00PM MDT

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Jimmydinho, Apr 8, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shot off the corner of the post and goes wide. Wow.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids win 1-0!!!

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Despite the big boys being out, big big 3 points given their history here.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RAPIDS WIN RAPIDS WIN RAPIDS WIN

Stuart95 repped this.
  5. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whew! That felt like 3 stolen points there

22SteveD and jimijam28 repped this.
  6. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wow. We stole 3 points today.

22SteveD repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle is MOTM, but honorable mention to Serna.

jayd8888 repped this.
  8. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, Serna definitely provided a spark off the bench

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Powers motm easily. Not his fault Torres and Buddle fumbled the ball away every time he got it to them. I had to switch to Philly at the half but came back at 70 when Serna checked in.

jayd8888 and Quinn 33 repped this.
  10. drew coho ohio

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus OH USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Congrats to Edson Buddle on his 99th goal in the MLS! Can't wait to see my friend #9 score his 100th goal next week in DEN.. I will be there to witness history as I'm in CO skiing at the moment in Aspen... Getting snow tonight through Monday.. This is going to be a fantastic week lol.. So happy for Edson.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no such thing as an ugly win because every win is beautiful especially when you snap a long, cold losing streak at BMO Field. Congrats to the boys. They may have been outplayed for large stretches of the match, twice had some luck on their side, and had to contend with a horrible, disgraceful pitch but they never caved and fought hard for 3 points. That's exactly what needs to happen on the road. It doesn't have to be pretty. It just has to be efficient. Back-to-back road victories, in difficult environments with difficult opponents, will sure as shit fuel the Rapids' confidence. It has to. They deserve a big applause from the Dick next week. Sitting 3-1-1 on. 10 pts., given our difficult opening schedule, has this guy grinning ear to ear. :D It's a good start and there is no reason the Rapids cannot build on it. There is room to grow but with 10 pts, the growing pains are less severe.

jayd8888 repped this.
  12. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Buddle is NOT looking soft in the middle this season and I take this as a good sign of things to come!

Rod1916 repped this.
  13. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers!

Torres looked more out of shape than Buddle.

BYLRPhil repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, this was the first Rapids game this season to finish 11 on 11 with no PKs called.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that too. Munchie fat?

16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a lot of people want to make Buddle the flavor of the week because he scored, but lets not forget he was garbage for basically the entire first 75 minutes of the game. Prior to the goal, every time he touched the ball it literally resulted in Toronto regaining possession. He is also conceded one the fouls that lead to Toronto hitting the post on the subsequent free kick.

Powers and Piermayr, in my mind, had much steadier and more meaningful overall performances in the game. Not to mention our goal probably doesn't happen if Serna isn't brought on.

Torres was good early on, but seemed to vanish after the first 20 minutes or so. The "gut" is a bit concerning as well.

Sports Yak and Dom. FC repped this.
  17. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the most impressive part of the goal was the team build up: Serna's drive to hawk down the ball, Powers' strong play and sneaky pass, and Buddle's finish. I really credit the goal to Serna. That late in the match, it would've been easy to give up on the play.

Sports Yak and Rod1916 repped this.
  18. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me it was Powers no look layoff to Buddle that was main factor in getting goal. But he would of not gotten that chance without Serna and I believe Piermayr's cross.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. The Commissioner

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    And let's not forget Brown's hustle and header during the build up to the goal.

20. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Didn't get to watch the game live but was able to follow tweets and BS forum calls while having to slog through IKEA store with the family (ugh). I guess I didn't realize MLS Live now makes the games immediately available after completion for local broadcast black-outs, so I watched most minutes of the game later in the afternoon. Agree that not giving up on offense was key to taking the win. Our goal was a series of good decisions but after the cross left Piermayr's foot, it looked like a series of one-touch passes out of necessity b/c of the pressure from VAN defense. Well done on that one, especially Powers bolting to the end line to keep the ball in play back to Buddle. 10 points in 5 games puts us on course to about 70 points for the season....not bad ;).
    We'll see how SJ does today regarding their form, but hoping for a strong showing by the Rapids against the goons in Commerce City next week.

21. The Commissioner

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not to take anything away from Cerna, but what do you think he was trying to do when he volleyed the Piermayr cross?

22. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A "bank" shot goal a la 2013 Buddle, is my guess, only reason you try to volley off a cross to me.

23. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    If you want to be a goal scorer you have to take a chance of half and quarter chance...I think he was trying to shoot and mis-hit the ball, but the initiative to take a chance without settling the ball on the crap field was there...well done!

24. aurelius

aurelius Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Was nice to see the same back line in consecutive games, and they gave up very little in the way of chances during the run of play. Piermayr seems solid. I have to say I didn't mind one bit being in a "Wynne-less situation."

I think it is better for Torres to start, as he did Sunday. He seems to need some time to find the rhythm of the game. The two real chances he had and missed looked like the tentative efforts of a forward who lacks confidence. Maybe if he can just break through, the goals will come. I also think that, at least for now, Brown is much better coming off the bench.

How did we ever survive what had to have been at least 15 set pieces for TFC with corners and dangerous free kicks combined? Sure the woodwork helped, but Irwin came up big a couple of times and TFC squandered chances galore.

Serna changed the game. Maybe the next game he finally breaks through with a brace!

25. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree. I wonder if opposing teams adjust mentally pre-game to his inclusion in the starting line up and decide their mind set/plan for defending him. Coming off the bench, the game is already flowing and when he pops on it's more difficult to adjust positioning to his speed. Just a thought. Though we have been winning, I am wondering if musical chairs with our attacking players has stifled in-game gelling at all.

COMtnGuy repped this.