Money Grows On Trees: Toronto Maple Leafs Superthread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by junction05, Sep 10, 2007.

1. junction05

junction05 Red Card

Sep 9, 2007
    Canada
    Hey is this the year?

2. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Leafs have 1 win and 1 lose so far in pre season games. Blake seems to be a great addition for the Buds.

3. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Season starts on Wednesday against the Senaturds. :cool:

4. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    hahah. Love the thread title.

5. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nice title thread. Poor Leafs lost in OT 4-3. Great opening season game. Leafs played well, but let the 3-2 lead in the third slip away again. Let's hope we beat the Sens tongiht.

6. Camcamy

Camcamy New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Toronto
    Lets hope we can play better tonight against the habs

7. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I will be live in attendance tomorrow as the Leafs play Carolina....GO LEAFS GO! I'll take some pics and post them here if i remember.

8. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
  9. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Best of luck to Jason Blake. That shows grit when you continue a pro hockey career while fighting cancer.

Leafs tonight against Carolina. We have 3 points from 3 games so far...

10. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Leafs definitely need to win tonight. Carolina have the same record as us. We have to keep an eye on Staal tonight. That kid is dangerous. Carolina have a decent team with some veterans. Will be a tough match....3-2 for the buds!!

11. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Hope it gets it tonight!!!

12. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Leafs got licked 7-1 last night by Carolina. Terrible effort displayed by 95% of the players. Lets hope the Leafs rebound against the Islanders on Thursday. You can guarantee that PM will make them work their a*ses off in practice today. He will not tolerate such a poor performance.

13. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That was brutal to watch...

14. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Imagine being there in person, hearing 18,000 fans boo our beloved Leafs :( Poni got hurt in practice today, he and Kilger ran into each other. Hope The Poni Express will be ok.

15. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Now THAT's more like it! 8-1 Leaf victory over the Islanders :)

16. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Oh YEAH! 8-1. Leafs showed that they have the confidence and ability to bounce back from a 7-1 loss. 8 different players scored and Sundin finally became the all time Leafs scorer in points and goals. Congrats Mats! Next is Buffalo monday...should be a good game!

17. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Next game is tomorrow (Saturday) against Pittsburgh...

18. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    My bad. How could i forget about Saturday night hockey. Crosby, then Buffalo.

19. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I've been very disappointed with Tucker the past 5 games. He wasn't putting in his usual effort and working hard on the ice. Until the game against NYI. He's finally got a few points and working hard in the corners.

Jason Blake finally scored his first goal as Leaf. He has tremendous pressure on him to produce here and glad he got the first goal off his shoulders. Leafs need to pick it up a bit and use their physical presence in games down low. We miss Wellwood dearly...can't wait for him to return.

Leafs @ Buffalo tonight.

GO LEAFS GO!!!

20. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We lost again to Buff. Were 2-4-1. Brutal record. Nikki Antrpov has been playing very well as of late. Very surprised. PM must have this team play more defensively. We are conceding way too many shots. We are an offensive minded team, but we must not rely on our D and our goal tending to win the game. We let in 4 goals per game...no team will win in this league giving up that many goals.

Let's turn this around quickly boys...long season ahead, but we cannot fall too far behind this early.

Florida @ Leafs Thursday...please win boys.

21. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Larry Murphy - err, Bryan McCabe with the own goal to steal defeat from the jaws of victory :(

We're actually 2-3-2 (last night was an OT loss) and sitting on 6 points.

22. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ya, you're right, 2-3-2. My bad.

Remember Larry Murphy...the fans drove him out of T.O. I doubt that will be the case with McCabe...But i expect the fans to come down hard on McCabe. 590AM today was encouraging the fans to Boo Richard Peddie and the board for the Leafs disasters, not the players.

23. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How do you boo Peddie and the board though? Besides, their job is to make $$$ and MLSE is making loads of it. IMO the only ******** up was hiring JFJ, he's run this team into the ground (and this from a guy who said "give him one more year"). 5.75M for McCabe is ridiculous, he overpaid for Kubina and he gave Raycroft (and Toskala) an extension before he had to. We had a playoff calibre team prior to the lockout and he's taken that core and done SFA with it.

If you look at Sr. management they were willing to spend the cash to build a winner in the years leading up to the lockout and then that advantage was nullified w the new CBA. They've since ramped up the scouting dept. and they were looking to bring in Scotty Bowman as an "advisor" - but he declined. IMO bringing in the top hockey people money can buy is the only way this team wins a Cup.

Mind you, i still think this team can make the playoffs.

24. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    There's too much politics going on in MLSE. I agree with the business aspect of the Leafs. They are doing a fabulous job at making money. And that is the first priority as a business. But they also want to build a Cup contender team. The board decided to stay with JFJ when he should of been fired last season for not making the playoffs. I like JFJ competitive nature, but he is far too inexperienced to lead a team like the Leafs.

Making the transition from pre lockout to post lockout has been devastating for us. But now that the cap is at 50M we have some more flexibility. But our over spending on players has cost us. I think we can make a 6th-8th spot as long as we play with consistency and the top players play to their ability. Otherwise, it doesn't look good. I do feel sorry for PM...he's a great coach, but there's only so much the guy can do with players like Kilger, Devereaux, Newbury, Pohl, Belak, Battaglia etc.

25. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Apparently, the Leafs worked on nothing but defensive coverage for the past few days in practice. Let's see how they respond on Thursday against Florida.

Tucker was very upset over the boos on McCabe. He came to his defense and stood up for him.

Raycroft said that it was funny how the fans boo him and McCabe and said that they boo them more then anyone is the league.

It's funny how when the Leafs got o Buffalo, they get cheered. But when they play at home, they get booed. Wish we could play 82 road games.