Toronto FC's Torsten Frings Interviewed (A Translation)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Stefan Schuette, Jan 4, 2013.

1. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    exactly with what aaron winter, the previous coach at TO, found out-- cant fit a round peg- his concept of total football needing highly-skilled, technical players able to keep possession of the ball- into a square hole- players with lots of physical presence and weak technical skills who struggled putting together 4-5 passes in a row without loosing the ball-- he tried to take a group of TO players to places they were incapable of going-- enter winter- exit winter

2. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    This is a good point.

There were several times when you'd watch a Galaxy game for example, and you'd see guys like Juninho, Beckham, Donovan and Keane all stringing together great passes and moving the ball around really nicely and very technically.

And then the ball would eventually find its way to a Bryan Jordan or Michael Stephens, who revert back to AYSO tactics and just run as fast as they can with the ball in a straight line, and totally make a mess of any attack that was building.

It happens a lot in MLS games. Thankfully, these types of players are slowly but surely being phased out of the starting 11 around the league.

3. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what I thought of when I imagined this playing out in an MLS game...well in every MLS game...

4. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post and thanks for getting the translation.

5. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Interesting interview (I read it in German)... he's not very complimentary about the league, but doesn't come across like an arrogant dick. On the contrary, sounds like a regular, reasonably contented dude. Maybe because he spent so much time at Bremen, which has the reputation of having a family atmosphere and not too many primadonnas.