News: Toronto FC player movement/rumours thread

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Catracho_Azul, Dec 27, 2012.

1. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting put on waivers in MLS terms means the player is cut (no longer on TFC roster) and he is made available to all other MLS teams if they want to acquire him. TFC would not get anything in return should another MLS team sign Bostock.

EvilTree repped this.
  3. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    Thanks to the replies about waivers.

4. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ephraim is back in England it seems.

5. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    and not a moment too soon.

6. Cousin Dave

Cousin Dave Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go see Danny and Gale at Tim Horton's tomorrow. Take them out for a beer after the coffee and doughnuts. Just don't ask them about playing time and I'm sure they'll behave like perfect gentlemen.

7. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  8. Cousin Dave

Cousin Dave Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see any commentary about Philadelphia management being embarrassed. Considering that Philadelphia management is in the process of "undoing" several of Peter Nowak's dreadful player personnel decisions, it looks like the Union are anything but embarrassed.

9. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We already have a huge chunk of cap space. I dunno, I'd personally like to get at least a warm body in return for not one, but TWO players, even though both are at career lows

10. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Funny how just a couple years ago everyone here, myself included, was talking about losing Frei to some European side by now. Too bad his stock has fallen so much due to injury.

11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How do we know we have a chunk of cap space?

If we look at the current roster/squad as listed on TFC's web page and compare it to the player's association list of salaries released it does not reveal any magical cap space.

Of course there are adjustments to be made....some players on the players assocation page have been released/waived since that list and some have been added (Brockie and Caldwell). It has, also, not been clear to me which of the two figures (base salary or guaranteed compensation) gets used for determining the "cap hit"....but here's what I did.

1) deleted the players released
    2) plugged in $100k for each of the two new players.
    3) averaged the base and the guaranteed and took that for the cap hit
    4) put in the appropriate cap hit for the two DPs ($368,750 for Koevermans and $200k for Laba)
    5) eliminated from the cap calculation the salaries of our 4 current home grown players
    6) eliminated from the cap calculation Players currently occupying roster spots above 20. (the players earning the league minimum of $46,500 - two of whom are also eliminated on the homegrown rule....and the one making less than that?).

Here's what I found:

Total Base salaries for the players listed on the TFC page a $3,935,625. Total guaranteed $4,763,973. Cap hit $2,811,887

Compare that to the league salary cap of $2.95mil and you might assume that TFC is actually pretty much at the cap. Now we all know about the great fudge factor which is allocation money. We know that TFC (like every team has some), we never know how much (I suggest that is on purpose) and we never know how it can be used (either globally or each bit of allocation they recieve individually).

I do not purport this to be deadly accurate...but I bet its close enough to dispel any notion that they have a "huge chunk" of cap space available.

EDIT....the two players rumoured in that Philly trade have a combined salary of $310k and a combined guaranteed compensation of $365k and if they are not being used (as much as I like Frei) it does make sense to try and move/free up that space. $310k is over 10% of the MLS cap space....for two guys not contributing on the pitch that seems like a lot! If you sort the roster by the cap hit (assuming my average of the two salaries) then they are also the 6th and 7th biggest individual hits on the cap....in fact, with the injuries to Eck, Braun and Dunfield dragging on, 5 of TFC's top ten cap hits are not currently contributing.

EDIT...two, my apologies to those who read this before I noticed my heavy typing figure had given Logan Emory a 10x pay raise ;)

EDIT....note this does not include other players we have had signing/loan announcements about like Tal Ben Haim and the defender "Santos"...they are not listed on the official squad/roster so I don't know what happened to those signings.

12. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ben Haim I believe is for sure out of the picture.

13. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    re: bostock gone from TFC- a vrey good move-- a 1 trick player with some quickness and only 1 foot to play with-- simply not good enough for MLS or any premier or championship side IMO-- coach nelsen go it right

15. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How long before the Jermaine Pennant to Toronto rumours start? Afterall, he checks all the boxes.....over 30, check......played in England, check, bounced around teams, check.

In addition, he could help part owner Rogers fulfill their promise fo bringing a pennant to Toronto!

16. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can't say I blame him.

17. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oops, I made a mistake. I meant a chunk of allocation money, not cap space. Sorry for having to make you do all that work to disprove a point I didn't mean to make ;)

TOareaFan repped this.
  18. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just visited the Rangers Wikipedia page out of curiosity to see what their squad looks like nowadays. Some interesting TFC/Canada connections. I noticed two Canadians, Gasparotto and Aird, are still there. Ben Haim isn't listed yet, but guess who's signed for next season? I'll give you two hints. He's Honduran and his name rhymes with Shmarnold Shmeralta

19. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dunfield put on waivers should make some of you happy

22. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm dancing on the inside. I wouldn't have minded having him as a sub to close out game (or to score a winner against Wankouver), but 120k for him was WAY too much.

23. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/06/terry-dunfield-waived-toronto, if ya need it.

24. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  25. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Earnshaw I'm cool with, but Dunfield I'm surprised to say the least. And I quite liked Dunfield. I understand it from a cap standpoint, so it's not like the move makes zero sense, but he's one of the few players who always at least gave a shit. So I dunno...