News: Toronto FC player movement/rumours thread

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Catracho_Azul, Dec 27, 2012.

1. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. It would give Morgan and Richter more freedom to bomb forward, giving us better width, and we wouldn't have to rely on them as much on defense which is good since neither of them are good defenders.

2. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Kevin Payne's golden boy! Should have seen this coming. He's been hyping his career for over a decade. BC has been overrated from the get go and now is well over paid.

Convey began his career at D.C. United when Payne was the general manager, and because Convey was under 18, he couldn't get his own apartment and instead lived with his GM.

“I’ve known Bobby since he was a 16 year old rookie in MLS; and literally living in the basement of my home," Payne said.

3. Cousin Dave

Cousin Dave Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SEMI-NEW TOPIC

Once Toronto signs Tal Haim, the club will have six CBs which is at one (if not 2) too many. As a healthy scratch in the last half-dozen regular season games (despite a half-dozen last minute mind-farts), this player (He Who Shall Not Be Named) was nonetheless in the lineup for each of Toronto's two wins on the season. Interestingly, even though Nelson seems unwilling to use this player, the manager went across the pond to find what looks like (after a single match) a clone of He Who Shall Not Be Named.

With the introduction of Haim and Caldwell, the player who was supposed to provide leadership and guidance to young players like Henry and Boss has seen his role reduced to practice player and reserve gamer. It used to bother me that He Who Shall Not Be Named "lost" his starting job as the result of the flu, but I'm beginning to suspect that Nelson would have found a "reason" eventually.

I actually understand (to a certain extent) Nelson's reluctance, since this player wasn't hired by Nelson himself. But how hard would it be to pick up the phone and talk to those who have worked with He Who Shall Not Be Named? Regardless, Nelson is still a first-year manager who hasn't devised a system that fits the strengths and weaknesses of the players on the roster. As I think back, were Earnshaw's five goals the result of a system of challenging defenders or was that just Earnshaw's talent for creating turnovers. But I digress.

He Who Shall Not Be Named has remained a professional throughout this process. Here's to hoping that Nelson/Payne will do the right thing and allow this player to find playing time elsewhere (if that is the player's wish).

4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ^you could name that whole piece "the story of the player that shall not be named and the coach who shall be incorrectly named"!

TFC Ajax repped this.
  5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Why is it we cannot name 'He Who Shall Not Be Named'?

If I do, will the bailiff come and take me away?

6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can no one spell around here ;) C-a-l-i-f-f

crazypete13 repped this.
  7. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm a bit befuddled by the whole Califf thing too. He seemed to gel with with O'Dea in the back. Then he gets sick and they replace him with...with...well, I'm not going to spell HIS name right, am I? And all of a sudden Boss becomes the favourite. And then, he too, is out of favour. Seems rather fishy.

DavemTFC repped this.
  8. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can no one spell here....d-e-s-p-e-r-a-t-e

9. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    because Califf is slow. didn't anyone see the 6-0 shame vs IMFC?

TFC Ajax repped this.
  10. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To single him out in that game would be unfair though.

11. Chester

Chester Member

Dec 30, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, that was a shambles, but that wasn't one guy's fault and the shame didn't seem to stick to Earnshaw, Lambe, Bekker, Osorio, Richter, Henry, etc. The fact still remains that TFC's only two wins this year and O'Dea's only win in a TFC uniform have come when O'Dea was partnered in back w/ Califf.

12. PattySajak

PattySajak Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I know they are just filling pot holes, but someone like califf works fine the mls. You want my honest opinion? You look at any of the tendems in the back and you see another pattern. Ball playing CB paired with stopper/no nonsense CB... or a hybrid of both. Collin/Besler. Gonzo/Delagarza... Hedges/John...
    Everyone of them has a linkup between the guy that makes the challenge and the guy that lays off that first pass out to the dm/full backs or wingers. Maybe its what they hope for in the summer transfer or next year but they should be finding that Besler type player to fit with an o'dea, califf, caldwell, henry, boss. All 5 of them I would classify as your traditional stopper/ no nonsense defenders. Put 2 of them in the middle and of course your gonna have a hoofball fest, or consistant regurgitation of sending the ball to the other team. Having that cb with the poise, patience and high decision making skill that can pair up should be the defender they are looking to add.. not more of the same type. Just my thoughts tho.

I also don't think it would hurt to start osorio over hall in a more offensive stance and then sub in hall for more defense in the second half... It seems when he comes on and he is with silva there is an immediate improvement of moving into space and making offensive plays.

TFC Ajax repped this.
  13. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    IMO Boss and O'Dea could be classified as ball-played CB's. Both comfortable on the ball compared to most MLS defenders and I wouldn't call either particularly no-nonsense (O'Dea maybe).

14. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any talk from Payne and Company about additional trades? If so, there is a good chance that Califf returns to Philadelphia with the glut of CBs on TFC's roster. The Union are in the process of trading Soumare back to Chicago and need a CB to be in the mix with Parke and Okugo. After Nowak shipped him to Chivas, Califf has talked about returning to Philadelphia in a possible coaching capacity when he retired so it would make sense that he ends his playing career here and then make the coaching move. Given that it would be a salary dump for TFC, I would think that a possible trade might see Convey-like trade consideration (i.e. Supplemental Draft pick) or even an international roster spot for a year or so given that the Union have a bunch of them available.

15. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That would make sense actually. I'd prefer to get an actual player in return, but with Califf's age and it being increasingly obvious that he's not in TFC's plans, a pick and an int'l spot might be all we can get

16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You could not expect to get both

17. Cousin Dave

Cousin Dave Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have now spoken with Nelsen.

For failing to have confidence is his player management skills, I have benched in favor of Alexi Lalas (recently hired, check the TFC website).

For suggesting that Earnshaw's early success wcas ANYTHING but Nelsen's brilliant coaching, I will be forced to wear a QPR scarf during all TFC games for the rest of the season.

But for misspelling his name, I have been banned from Big Soccer for life.

Strange, he didn't mention when the ban would become eff

crazypete13 repped this.
  18. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Good God, never ever scare me like that again

19. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If it's a supplemental pick it's possible.

20. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  22. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He showed lots of promise. Well, for about five minutes in the KC game.

23. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    What exactly does "put on waivers" mean?

24. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Offer him up to any MLS team, I'd suspect, with no takers he'll be cut.

25. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    Can I repeat my previous question.....and hoping for an explanation and the ramifications.
    What does put on waivers mean.