News: Toronto FC player movement/rumours thread

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Catracho_Azul, Dec 27, 2012.

1. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OK. So Payne has been quoted in various outlets as saying:
    “That’s our target for the summer transfer window,” Payne said. “We are looking at a couple of players that we think will make a very big difference on our team. They would be DP’s, and they would be in [the attacking] part of the field.” So.....two DPs? WE already have two, right? And the maximum is three, right? So if I was Danny K. should I start looking for a new gig?

2. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Funny, I realized that at almost the exact same time as you. Other than that, not really funny at all. Only way we get rid of Koev is if we trade him within MLS, and I would hate to see him on another team. He would also probably score a hat trick on us.

The other possibility is that we sign one of the new players to a pre-DP deal a la Mauro Rosales where we give the player a low salary deal until the end of the year and then they become a DP when Koev is out of contract.

oh, and Morgan and Bennet are cut.

3. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Isn't Laba a young DP? I believe MLS teams are allowed to have 3 DP's and a young DP on their team. I hope Payne doesn't sign more than one though. Didn't he keep saying at the beginning of the year that he wanted to build a core and add DP's later?

5. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    unless rules changed again recently, it's 3 DPs of any kind per team

6. moralis

moralis Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Toronto FC can use allocation money to a lower a DP contract. Kevin Payne said this before Laba signed with TFC.

7. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Young DPs take up regular DP spots, they just count less against the cap. I think Payne said something at the beginning of the year about being able to be allocated a young DP on top of the three already here, but that's the only time I've heard anything of the sort.

And no, he didn't say he that he wasn't going to bring in DPs, he said that he wasn't going to bring in old players who are here to retire as DPs. He wants DPs who can be important players for several years, not just a quick stopgap.

8. Brum

Brum New Member

May 8, 2013
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Thanks for all your welcomes! Caldwell seems to be talking as eloquently as ever- not sure how you're coping with conceding all these late goals, but fingers crossed 'Braveheart' will steady the ship.

crazypete13 repped this.
  9. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He should be a huge upgrade on the wing.

11. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm going to the game on Saturday v. Columbus. For the first time since season one, I'll probably buy a program. I have no idea whose who on the team anymore.;)

12. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can play at winger and full-back. Not foreign or a loanee. We only had to get rid of a supplemental pick for him.
    But he's often injured, and has been mediocre the last two seasons. And his salary is pretty high. I think it's a good short-term move with possible long-term benefits if he goes back to pre-2012 form, but nobody should be surprised if it doesn't quite pay off.

13. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    knowing the competence of TFC FO, all the player names will be out of date ;)

14. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Did we ever to begin with? :p

15. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pretty much sums it up, just a stop gap player and does well might be retained for less money.

16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Anyone else get the feeling that the league must be being very co-operative with TFC on cap space/rules. To be able to bring in an oft injured guy like this on $200k per year at this point considering the other guys we have brought in without moving someone else out.....wow, who would have thought we had the room!

17. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    we have a lot of allocation money. And if I were a betting man, I would put money on Ephraim being gone very soon to free up 1) a roster spot, 2) an international spot (not needed now, but will be soon), and 3) 180k of cap space. He hasn't been effective at all, and the addition of Convey makes him expendable. I would say Bostock, but I think he has a bit more upside ,even though he's lazy defensively, in that he's more skilled, is costing us less right now, and there's still a slight chance that we sign him on permanently when his loan expires whereas Ephraim is almost certain to go back to QPR. But I'm sure Bostock will be gone sooner rather than later as well.

18. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bostock is also 4 years younger than ephraim. To your point about more upside.

19. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    makes sense that they would want him back. Since QPR is relegated, they have to get rid of a shitload of overpaid players. For us, he's not good enough, costs too much, and isn't worth the international spot. For them he's good enough for the championship and is probably one of their cheaper players. I just hope that if he becomes a half decent player (which I doubt will happen, IMO he'll always be Championship level), people don't start whining about how he was such a great talent that we were too dumb to be able to use properly (a la Stevanovic doing decently in Serie A)

22. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  23. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    EvilTree and TFC Ajax repped this.
  25. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm starting to think we're going to see 5 at the back very soon with all these CB's.