Toronto at Salt Lake, Sat 28 Apr 7:00 MDT [P/I/P]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Apr 26, 2012.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what DW and I both noticed, that he didn't try to blast it. He hit that about 50 to 60% power and kept the accuracy intact. Professionally done.

I think the fans were yelling at the CR.

2. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ball doesn't go in if the defender doesn't have to mark Sabo all the way to the goal mouth. While it was an own goal, Sabo deserves credit for forcing it. Otherwise, it bounces through the 6 yard box or is taken by the keeper calmly.

3. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Agreed. How much I rag on him, I would prefer it if he would just step up and play. I have seen some flashes of what he can do, but the negatives out weigh the positives so far. Hell, maybe starting Bof. or Paulo more would do some good. I'm not a soccer coach though, XC and Track are more of my thing.

4. rsldude

rsldude Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Heart of Texas
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trade Sabo sign is definitely low class... people going a little overboard

5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a team problem the poor marking on set plays. Sabo has just been the one that the goals came off. But, others have lost their players and just been lucky that their mark missed the opportunity. The whole team needs to regain focus on defending set pieces.

IMO, the only thing that Sabo did badly tonight was the backheal pass in the defensive third without being certain that his target was on the same page. It was weakly done and frankly stupid. And, I'd bet he'd agree. Olave was fortunate to not get a red for the tackle that lead to the PK. RSL was lucky that it didn't turn into a goal against.

At no point did RSL look really good. Third game in 8 days, not surprising. The grit that a lot of the players showed at the end was classic RSL and what we expect. The quality was below the quality we expect. Three is three, probably deserved to be a draw.

6. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet he did miss the header on the play, and let's not forget that beauty back heel pass to Toronto, or the missed mark on Toronto's second goal.
    Sabo needs to be better than Sabo has been the past matches, or maybe the money we are spending on him could go to getting a striker who works and produces like a striker needs too.

I really do wish the guy the best and hope he can again turn around his season, god knows if RSL wants to get past CCL group stages, Open Cup or MLS supporters shield chase, we will need a productive Alvaro Saborio.

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, i had to do it:

[​IMG]

8. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steele Johnson poster coming soon???

:eek:

9. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just trying to be fair, Sabo did put two into the net tonight and both were questionably called off.

10. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Three if you count the one that he put in after the ball rolled out of the net on Steele's goal!!! Mwah hahaha!!!! I had to :p:p:D

11. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I guess we can say that Steele has been the 'steele' of the season. :cool:

YEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is that, yes. And that's no small thing.

13. jdfoote

jdfoote Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Indiana
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

If Sabo had the brace he arguably deserved tonight, then I'm sure we would all be very happy to look past any other mistakes. Strikers are paid to put the ball in the back of the net, and by that criteria, Sabo had a very good night.

14. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Maybe I've just been drinking way too much Kool-Aid or something, but I'm feeling way less negative than the majority of you about RSL's performance tonight. To my eye, RSL controlled the ball quite well and put it in dangerous positions for most of the match. The first 15 minutes after the half were bad, but aside from that, I didn't think that RSL looked nearly as bad as the rest of you. Toronto's second goal was completely against the run of play, and should be hung completely on Sabo for losing his mark.

Let's not forget that MLS is still a league with incredible parity. Toronto is surely a better team than their 0-7 record suggests; maybe all of you were disappointed that RSL didn't just utterly destroy them? In terms of overall play, I felt like RSL were clearly the better team on the field, although the score didn't reflect that (at least, not until stoppage time).

To be sure, we're lucky to get the win tonight--relying on a missed PK and a stoppage-time goal--but why so negative from everyone? Am I missing something that all of you are seeing, or are my expectations just lower than everyone else's?

Two other things: (1) I'm still think Sabo's doing just fine (very nearly on the score sheet tonight on three occasions), but he's got to keep his mark on set pieces. I'm sure Kreis will be mentioning that to him. (2) You've gotta feel for the Toronto players and fans. I haven't checked out their forum, but they've got to be gutted right now.

15. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few random thoughts:

* Not a beautiful match tonight. I expected to see RSL dominate a little more.
    * I had a soccer newb over to watch with me and I explained all the rules and everything. Her kids were super bored at first, but that winning goal got them on their feet and cheering. So that's a small success, I hope.
    * I bet the Toronto fans are planning some mass suicide pact at this point. Gotta feel sorry for them a little bit. (Every day but today...)
    * Dang, I wish I'd been there live.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My old man loathes Saborio. Like many on here, he thinks he is easily the worst player on RSL. I challenged him tonight to watch Sabo both on AND off the ball.

end of the match report from old man: Sabo was MOTM

Y'all that sit here and bitch about his play while watching through the tube get a third (if that) of what happens on the pitch. You don't see Sabo getting the shit kicked out of him each and every game. You don't see Sabo making runs constantly across the pitch to open up space. You don't see Sabo taking 3 defenders at times with him wide and still finding a way to flick the ball on.

This Sabo hate baffles me.

And if you want to say it was an own goal, at least give the guy credit for making a hell of a run and forcing the ginger to make a play on the ball.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What in the world was going through the mind of the refs to call Sabo's 2nd ungoal off?
    Cann fouled? What?

Good job boys, make us proud.

18. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was terrible, almost no contact from sabo. even worse was that the ref gave morales a yellow early for a "dive" in which he went over a bad slide tackle.

reffing was just wildly inconsistent tonight. balls going off players for what should be goal kicks and corners getting ruled as throw in's and goal kicks. wtf were they looking at?

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my conspiracy theory. With teams like LA making large new tv deals based on DPs, MLS is determined to make sure only DP teams or at the very least small market teams (RSL is #19 out of 19) do not make the finals. How do they do that? Telling Refs to just call against RSL.

I know, crazy, but the calls against RSL in the last 4 games have mind-blowing.

And I am tired.

20. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saborio could do everything right and still get this kind of hate. Unreal.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he essentially (even by the haters standards) scored a hat-trick tonight and some of you want to bench him?

if 3 goals happen on a bad night, we need that dude on the pitch

22. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Offensively Sabo was very good. Our passing was great until the final 20 yards or so, where it's those little bounces and quality that are preventing us from scoring bigger.

TFC came to play. Their speed gave us fits and stretched us out. Their tactics challenged us to drift from what we do...and we reacted offensively - stretching out our lines further. Even with that - I didn't think our CBs were at their best. Olave was off a lot, and got trapped too far forward. Like that Johnson header near miss that people were faulting Beltran for? That was Olave's guy. Beltran rotated in from the side.

Our midfield play was stellar at times.

In the end, you can flush all the analysis and self loathing down the shitter.

Being there when that final play came together was magic. There was relief, but there was something else going on...belief?

I was freezing my butt off (no jacket, no scarf - like an idiot) - but it didn't matter. Moments like that are why you go.

I really did feel for TFC too. I watched them outplay Chicago last week and lose - and go to ground in similar frustration. Frings is playing on half a wheel somewhere. He's not healthy.

23. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I am tired of the refs also.. Seems like they are always so quick with giving Real yellows . Interesting that's these refs were all from canada..

24. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. But let me just say that the entire stadium chanting "ref you suck" in loud unison after that was absolutely fantastic...:)

25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were chanting 'ref you suck'. Both of Sabo's goals should've counted. (Look at the feet on the offsides, and the fact that everyone is standing upright. He's on) The own goal was 100% Sabo following through. While it was a great cross it was just slightly ahead of where he could get to. I feel that the yellow to Morales was a bit soft. There was minimal contact and you can see he's trying to avoid the tackle. I think what bothered me the most about the Morales yellow is that TFC had a player go down in the offensive end.. 1? 2? minutes prior and the ref tells him to get up and play on, then we get the card.

I'm not quite sure where people are blaming Sabo for that corner goal. The way the player leaned in to head that, I doubt anything changes if Sabo is on top of him. Aside from the back heel on the 1st goal, he was one of the best threats offensively. Steele was terrible aside from the goal. Far too many crosses and passes to nowhere.