Top soccer colleges in America

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by icius_07, Mar 3, 2007.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    hopefully you can play... because it doesn't look like you will be getting any academic scholarships.

jays_soccer_fan repped this.
  2. CARBONERO25

CARBONERO25 Member

May 12, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the top 25 NAIA Soccer Schools? Are some NAIA schools better than NCAA Div 1 and 2 in soccer?

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Auburn-Montgomery
    Azusa Pacific
    Belhaven
    Bethel
    Fresno Pacific
    Graceland
    Hastings
    Lindsey Wilson
    Mobile
    Rio Grande

I listed them alphabetically and not as an endorsement. And, there are other top NAIA programs. Google "NAIA soccer rankings"

Yes. Not a lot, but a few are very good.

CARBONERO25 repped this.
  4. CARBONERO25

CARBONERO25 Member

May 12, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you. Last question, How many NAIA players get into the Pro leagues like MLS, NASL, or even overseas?

5. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    The usual route upward for NAIA players is a transfer to a D1 school after shining for a year or 2. And there are few transfer restrictions since NAIA and NCAA are separate bodies.

CARBONERO25 repped this.
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A few. More NAIA players go to a lower division before MLS than going straight to it and, as noted by espola, many transfer to a D-I program after a year or 2.

Steve Lenhart of San Jose went straight from NAIA Azusa Pacific to MLS and has a good career.

Teammate (last year) Joey Gjertsens went to NAIA Evergreen State and spent several years in the US 2nd division - was MVP one year - before getting an MLS contract.

Shaun Francis, who spent the past three seasons with Columbus and is in camp with Philadelphia this pre-season, was drafted straight out f Lindsey Wilson.

Last month a few NAIA players were drafted. Mobile's Stephen Okai went 31st overall in the SuperDraft to Philadelphia. In the Supplemental draft, Fresno Pacific's Paul Islas (Chivas) and Lindsey Wilson's Lebogang Metolo (Seattle) were picked.

One of the biggest success stories from an NAIA program is Carlos Ochoa. He was born in Mexico but moved to the US as a kid and went to California Baptist. He went on to play for some of the bigger teams in Mexico, briefly played in the Spanish first division, got capped several times by the Mexican national team and is still a reserve in the Mexican top flight for Morelia. He's been playing profesionally in Mexico or Spain since 1999 and probably has made about $6 million, US, playing pro ball. Not too shabby.

As noted, it's also common for players, especially foreign ones, to start at an NAIA school and transfer and then use that D-I exposure to get to MLS. Deshorn Brown, a first round draft pick this year, started at Mobile, transferred to Central Florida and now is in MLS. Ben Hunter went from Rio Grande to North Carolina and got drafted by the Crew. Stephen Shirley went from Mobile to Virginia Commonwealth and was drafted by Kansas City. Boyzzz Khumalo went from Lindsey Wilson to Coastal Carolina and was drafted by Chicago. And years ago, Tyrone Marshall went from Lindsey Wilson to Florida International, became a first round pick in the 98 MLS draft and is still playing in MLS and has over 80 caps for Jamaica.

I'm sure I'm forgetting others but the point is that NAIA can get you to a pro career in the US. It's definitely the road-less-traveled, but it's not such a lonely road that it cant be done.

Hararea, CARBONERO25 and fknbuflobo repped this.
  7. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was not always the case, but nowadays, THEY will find the quality players.

There are very few potential professionals that escape notice, regardless of the school.

8. CARBONERO25

CARBONERO25 Member

May 12, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. Thank you for your reply. You give me great information about the NAIA that I couldn't find on the web.

9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Achille Campion is another NAIA player that transferred to D1 (UCSB).

If you can start for an ACC school, you'll be seen (a lot). Any top D1 team will be seen. All of this is probably obvious. While some NAIA team (especially if they good or have a well connected coach) that are close to MLS/NASL/USL teams will be seen more. Probably, the best way to be seen is to get to the NAIA national tournament and do well. In 2011, Philly, NE, DCU, (and a few that I can't recall) had coaches/scouts there. This past year, there were only a couple of MLS/NASL coaches there. However, I did see some D1 coaches.

Sandy is correct. The best way to be seen is to play NAIA at a high level and transfer to a D1 school.

A vast majority of players drafted into MLS are from D1 schools.

CARBONERO25 repped this.
  10. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's important to note that players are only as successful as what they put in too.

It's important to enhance your playing résumé too. Play NPSL or PDL during the summer. Play some Super-20 if you are eligible. Get out there and expand your personal contacts. Play for coaches that help you succeed. There's a lot of coaches that are only in it for their own accolades, and that's the wrong way to do it.

If you have a coach that isn't helping you enhance your soccer résumé, then you need to find a way to do it yourself. Transfer, make your own contacts, find your own places to play, etc. I think it was something like 70% of all MLS draftees this year had some sort of NPSL/PDL background.

CARBONERO25 and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Thank you, I meant to say something very similar.

I'd suggest that the OP try to play for one of these PDL teams: Carolina, Reading, Michigan, Crossfire, Ventura County, Des Moines, Chicago....

CARBONERO25 repped this.
  12. CARBONERO25

CARBONERO25 Member

May 12, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you know of any NPSL or PDL or Super 20 team in Atlanta? I see Georgia Revolution are a NPSL team and others?

13. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CARBONERO25 repped this.
  14. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why limit yourself to Atlanta? I understand you may be "local" there, but step out of your comfort zone.

Find somewhere else that will help you broaden your network. It's nice to get out and see different areas. You never know who you may come in contact with.

CARBONERO25 repped this.
  15. CARBONERO25

CARBONERO25 Member

May 12, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes you are right. I will see what I can find. Thanks.