Top soccer colleges in America

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by icius_07, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I'm not telling you anything other than what a different analyses concluded, one which, by the way, also pegged the likes of Missouri at #85, which was identical to their USNWR ranking. And they were in very close agreement on a host of others, including such soccer giants as Stanford, UNC, Notre Dame, Virginia and Rutgers.

So, on that basis, I suppose the WM rankings are equally authoritative and inept, if such a thing is possible, although Dr. Wankler captured the essence of the argument very succinctly. In any case, as it regards the earlier discussion of WVU, they still end up as being among the top 75 or so public universities, regardless which method you use.

2. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
    I'm so glad that I'm from S.C. State,
    Tell it to 'ya! Tell it to 'ya!
    Bulldogs are a team we know is great,
    For our school we'll yell and yell,
    Send the other team to . . . you know
    Who' s our Alma Mater,
    S.C.S.C. STATE!

I'd have posted a link to the music, but I held off for fear of leaving y'all weepy-eyed. ;)

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Was in Morgantown once. Clapped for the other team. Got hit with a hot dog for doing so. Don't think they see people from outside of Morgantown too often.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just be thankful they weren't so drunk that they mistook you for a sofa.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2005-09-27-roundup_x.htm?csp=34

(They've cut back, but haven't cut it out completely, from what I can tell).

5. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Of course, everyone in Morgantown is probably related in some yellow hammer way.:D

6. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    my bold.

For me, these ratings seem incredibly goofy. The number of people in ROTC as a measure of quality of education? And while it's nice that they recognize universities that promote access, if access isn't your problem then it's not very important as a measure of quality.

Leaving out reputation is probably a bad thing. There are lot of things that aren't measured in a simple measures such as this. Bringing reputation in is an imperfect way to capture some of those items.

For a top student, there are probably two main factors that drive quality of education: (1) the average level of students at the university, and (2) the attention given to undergraduate education. After that, it's mostly whether the specific offerings of the school match the interests of the student.

If a potential college student asked you which are the top schools to go to, would you really recommend South Carolina State?

7. AbsolutGold

AbsolutGold New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Happy Valley

I think you as well as others are not understanding the intent of the post of DSOC. Read Winklers analysis of the ranking to get the idea. He is not saying anything that these are the best academic schools. If you read the posts you should get the idea that people are saying that these are subjective rankings and are skewed in one way or another.

And I believe what DSOCC is saying in terms of SC State is that it is not a top university, however, for those who can not afford or do not have the resources (connections) to find themselves in one of the "Elite" schools it is a school that could provide a quality and affordable education.

All this aside....last time i checked this isn't a forum on the topic of the educational qualifications of individual universities and while before it was focused around determing WVU as a top college or soccer college now it has no relevance to the college game and personally I think unless we get back to the top of the original post that this topic should be discontinued. I urge you DSOCC, as a well established member with respected opinions to be the bigger man in this situation and just move on as it seems as if still neither side is willing to concede anything.

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    You might also want to consider some of the top Div2 schools. Scholarships are still available and the level of play is pretty high in the top 25 programs. Pro scouting, if that is important, probably isn't at the same level though.

9. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Which is why the Washington Monthly ratings are nonsensical. If you have a ranking of colleges for top students looking nationally, Stanford will be much above SCSU. If you have a ranking for "average" students who want to live in South Carolina, SCSU will be ranked above Stanford. To have an index that mixes both ideas doesn't make any sense and is not useful. At least the USNWR index has an idea about what it is doing, even though it is not an appropriate tool for every student.

:rolleyes:

The same problem applies to the soccer rankings. The "top" programs may not be the "best" programs for a particular player. UCLA is clearly a top program but the chances of getting a scholarship there are going to be pretty small unless you are a "top" player.

In fact, if you are not looking for a pro career, the variation in academic quality across colleges is probably a lot more important than the variation across soccer quality.

10. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Of course, Stanford costs more than 3 times what SCSU costs to attend. I assume then that it follows that Stanford students are 3 times more important, or perhaps that educating them is 3 times more difficult. Perhaps it's just that Stanford has a soccer team.

11. Futbol0020

Futbol0020 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    To truly decide this debate, why don't we pick a set of academic rankings, filter out all the non-D1, non-soccer schools and see what order we end up with.

So remove all the non-D1 soccer schools and see how it plays out.

If they are 1-50 its above average.

If its 50-150 its roughly average.

If its 150 or lower, then below average.

Fair enough?

12. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing you didn't leave your seat.

13. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    If you really want to do this, you'd take the full rankings from www.ordoludus.com and average them against the average of the last 5 years of respective rankings from soccerratings.com, then order them from lowest to highest. For schools that aren't listed among the top 126 in ordoludus, just fix the rank as 127 for any of them. This will weight an overall institutional ranking equally with a soccer specific ranking, which should answer the original question adequately enough.

14. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For the record, this was false. I believe it was a goof by some Georgia Tech fans that spread out of control on the internet. They lost, btw, very bitter. :p

15. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Using this method then, here are the ranked US Top 30 D1 universities combining both academic and soccer achievement.

1. University of Virginia
    2. University of North Carolina
    3. University of California - Berkley
    4. University of California - Los Angeles
    5. Duke University
    6. University of Notre Dame
    7. University of Maryland
    8. Harvard University
    9. Stanford University
    10. Wake Forest University
    11. Brown University
    12. Northwestern University
    13. Pennsylvania State University
    14. Indiana University
    15. University of Michigan
    16. University of Pennsylvania
    17. University of Wisconsin
    18. Ohio State University
    19. Yale University
    20. Dartmouth College
    21. Princeton University
    22. Michigan State University
    23. University of Kentucky
    24. Rutgers University
    25. Boston College
    26. Southern Methodist University
    27. University of California - Santa Barbara
    28. Clemson University
    29. Santa Clara University
    30. University of New Mexico

16. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After all the sturm and drang,

A list that would serve our Lithuanian friend well. While there's always room for additional debate...

Nicely done.

17. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indiana University is only at #14? Dsocc... this method sucks! Get to work on something else so that IU can at least be in the top ten!

:rolleyes: :D

18. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    What's interesting is that, while ACC schools dominate the Top 10 (5/10), the Big 10 schools dominate 11 through 20 (6/10), as well as the Top 20 overall (6/20). So, the Top 30 is basically a 3 horse race - ACC, Big 10, Ivies

19. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a very interesting list. Thanks for assembling that.

20. Mr_HoseHead

Mr_HoseHead Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Well, at least any questions about West Virginia have now been settled with just two words: Bob Huggins.

21. rotherham

rotherham New Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hi all im a football (soccer) freak from Sydney, Australia.
    I have a young 17 year old boy who is a naturally gifted defender, and if he gave it a real go, could pursue a footballing/soccer career.

I have not been involved in American soccer, and do not understand the programs or where to start to help this boy possibly trial or join an American college for both education and soccer.

Could anyone message me or respond and let me know where I could start or any advice. Thanks in advance.

22. dash0161

dash0161 New Member

Feb 4, 2013
    hi im a freshman and i love soccer with a passion i wanna know to look forward to what college i wanna have thoughts to go to, can anyone help me out? thank you

23. dash0161

dash0161 New Member

Feb 4, 2013
  24. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Just to satisfy my own curiosity, what was the score on your SAT verbal?

25. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    If he's really a 14 year old kid, then he likely hasn't taken the test yet. That said, he was about 8 years old the last time there was a post in this thread. There's quite a bit that goes into choosing a school, and I'll be happy to give my thoughts once I'm convinced this isn't a spammer making a few posts until he can start threads.