Top Paid College Coaches??

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by VillaFC, Dec 19, 2009.

1. VillaFC

VillaFC New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    After recently reading that Caleb Porter at Akron will make an astounding $170,000 :eek: a year (excluding bonuses, camps, etc.) it got me thinking...what are the top programs paying coaches these days??

Todd Yeagley at IU will now make a base just under $97,000 but what are the big guys making? Just curious. Anyone know?

I would imagine a head job at a mid-major program would be in the 50-60K range but could be wrong.

2. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Base pay always comes with a bonus structure, which can be quite attractive.
    The other factor for income is the camp revenue, and how that is structured with the particular university at which one is coaching.
    It can be a major contributor to actually having a top-notch assistant, one whose base might be low, but camp revenue more than makes up the difference.

3. ranger19

ranger19 New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Louisville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ken Lolla @ Louisville has a base of $150K. This was reported by the Courier-Journal Newspaper.

4. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007

Wow. Good money for the men's side. Good for them. Don't think clemson will come up with that kind of money for base (even though they can afford it). Will mention money that can be made in camp (maybe these top coaches don't want to work camp to get paid?) and the fishing is in lake hartwell is good ( but it is really average).

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UConn Coaches
    Ray Reid - 133k
    Len Tsantiris - 109k

6. NC SOCCER

NC SOCCER New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
  8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, that was startlingly low.

Either that's wrong or that's just his base salary and he gets big money from performance bonuses and/or camp money. Perhaps he agreed to a much lower base in exchange for getting the lion's share of camp revenue.

Or, perhaps that's just the money that's paid to him by the university, ie public money, and the rest of his salary comes from the athletic foundation, which is a separate and private entity.

But there's no way all Elmar is clearing is 28K plus change.

9. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    I believe what they have listed is the salary when the contract was origianlly signed. So 28,900 for 1989 is not as bad as it seems and Elmar probably has an automatic rollover so technically no new contract has been put together. Probably back then with camps still go 100K and now probably twice that. State schools are limited to what they can pay but there is sometimes money from the fundraising arm to offset that and obviously a good camp business.

10. NC SOCCER

NC SOCCER New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't amusing how people act! I posted a link to a published Raleigh, NC TV station report with links to the images of the contract letters, but you would rather believe what someone posts to be the salaries of UConn coaches and others WITHOUT PROOF!!!!! BUT since the figures given are acceptable and/or attractive you must believe the posted messages.

collegesoccer is absolutely correct. Please go to the link given for the 1989 letter and READ it!!!!

11. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    All that 1989 letter means is that those were the conditions under which Bolowich was hired at the time. It's likely that's he's a full-time university employee by now, and in that case, the original contract is probably irrelevant. In any case, if he received a 5% bump/year, the salary would be nearly $77,000. He'd get a good bit in camp money as well.

That said, what does this have to to with etimates of Ray Reid's salary at UConn?

12. CodyJarrett

CodyJarrett Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dsocc's right. Initial contract salary is one thing, but that's obviously not the current data. And beyond standard raises, there are other things that push up a salary. Porter is an obvious example - do well, make the school/program look good, become a target for other programs (or leagues), and your school will try to find a way to keep you around.

Salary is also impacted by the salaries of the coaches of the competition (typically, your conference), not to mention the standard of living in your area. Heck, Stanford is raising money specifically to buy housing for coaches because they can't pay them enough to be able to buy homes in Palo Alto. (Which makes Porter's salary all the more noteworthy when you consider it relative to the cost of living in Akron.)

Anyhow - getting back to numbers. Many states have laws that require access to public employee salaries, and that would include coaches at public universities. Access is defined in many ways, from searchable databases to notarized written request, and the information can be held/managed at the state or institutional level. Some newspapers (like in North Carolina, conveniently) do the work for us by filing open records requests, and then post the data on their websites.

Bolowich's (UNC) "total salary" is $91052, according to http://apps.newsobserver.com/know/uncga/. Tarantini's (NC State) 08-09 "total salary" is $71027, according to http://www.charlotteobserver.com/data/story/94568.html. I am guessing that "total salary" does not include most or all benefits (the value of health insurance, retirement plans, etc. can be as much as another 40-50% of the salary). I also do not think it includes other revenue streams like camps. I didn't look into assistant coach salaries or check other NC public universities.

Getting to the real point re: UConn - the Connecticut state database I found didn't have a Ray or Raymond Reid, and I can't locate a campus database. Darn it.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UConn salaries are from a database found via google search. They are from 2008.
    http://www.archive.org/details/UniversityOfConnecticutSalariesSep2008
    download the xls and look up the names for yourself

14. CodyJarrett

CodyJarrett Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably more because I think the CT state employees just got a raise over the summer....I wanna say 3.5 percent

16. NCAA playmaker

NCAA playmaker New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Club:
    Rangers Talca
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If Porter makes 170k what do you think Gelnovatch makes at UVA?

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    His base salary two years ago was $74,700.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/media/files/CD-FacultySalaries2008.pdf

Keep in mind several things with regard to that:

*It doesn't include camp money. At a school live Virginia with great facilities, a long tradition and a natural base to draw campers, that can be quite lucrative.

*It's two years old. I'm sure he got a COLA each year and his new contract probably gave him a nice bump after winning it all.

*It doesn't include performance incentives for things like winning the ACC, graduation rate, wins in the NCAAs and, of course, a national title.

*It doesn't include perks that the boosters can provide like use of a vehicle and what not.

*It doesn't include any money from a shoe company. That's not that much anymore. Before MLS, the shoe companies gave the bigger college programs' coaches good deals but now they throw most of their budget at MLS and the national team players. Still, it's likely something.

18. socceramerica1

Feb 1, 2007
    Noonan-Clemson $250,000

19. kevin1414

kevin1414 Member

Oct 21, 2004

Noonan did not get $250.

20. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Did too. Official title;

Head Men's Soccer & Special Teams Coach.

21. socceramerica1

Feb 1, 2007
    Inside source yes he did.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  22. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Is it unusual for college soccer coaches to not have contracts? I read that one of the reasons Dan Donigan left SLU was that he never had a contract, he just worked year to year. I don't really follow college soccer, but that sounded strange to me.

23. NC SOCCER

NC SOCCER New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah right! Until you supply a link to a backup of your claim, I will file this under wishful thinking. That six figure salary rivals the income of attorneys and MDs, or Anson Dorrance not that of someone who has the coaching credentials of Noonan!

24. sept79

sept79 Member

Aug 25, 2005
    St. Louis
    I am curious about how much we are talking about when 'camp money' is reference. My envisioning of this is a bunch (50 or 60) of 13, 14, 15 year olds being taught soccer techniques for about 4 hours a day for a week. There would be maybe 6 or 7 of these camps a summer.

Am I wrong? How much money can there be in this? $50 per attendee times 60 times 7 is $21,000 at max. Unfortunately, expenses such as assistants remuneration and other miscellaneous would have to be subtracted from this.

Where am I going wrong, or am I?

25. sccrjunkie6

sccrjunkie6 New Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Try a hundred or so kids at $350 a pop, times 4 or 5 weeks of camps. It can be lucrative at the top schools.