Top 100 Prospects: The Forwards

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by voros, Jun 28, 2010.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also not an American as of yet.

2. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Apparently not, probably because they never had a coach as bad as Onalfo. It should be interesting to see if this nets any positive results in terms of how individual players perform.

3. StarSpangledCannon

Aug 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah, probably the fact that he was pulling for ghana instead of the US. i don't think many US fans would be pleased for him to rep the States anymore and i wouldn't be shocked to see if he's slowly dropped from US youth teams as well.

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    if usa drops kids becasue the like their homeland, usa is left with crap

5. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Jon-Paul Pittman :) I doubt anyone will agree with me but I'm still hoping. He's only 23 so there is a lot of time.

Yura has to be on the list he is doing very well at Randers. Now all he needs is his citizenship.

6. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooting for the country that has eliminated the country where you're employed twice in successive WC's isn't gonna make you a popular guy, ridiculous or not.

7. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember reading (possibly in an article somewhere, possibly one of the crazed street preachers here) discuss how the USMNT has reached a point where it should be above calling up guys playing in lower divisions in Europe. I tend to agree.

But we're not exactly flush with healthy young strikers right now and until at least the next MLS season.

How well would Pittman have to play in League One to get called up?

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Unfortunetly he is in League Two (a level that is too low for him IMO) as Wycombe were relegated but his contract expires next summer. He should do well in League Two, he had a great pre-season 8 goals in 7 games. If you believe transfer rumours Sheffield United are interested in him from what I hear.

He said in an interview he would be open to a move to MLS. He does want to play for the USA at some point in his career. I'm not saying for anything right now but he is out there.

He was decent in League One last year considering how horrendus Wycombe were. He ended up with 10 goals and 2 assists usually as a sub and ended up being their top scorer. Not bad IMO for a guy who spent his first real season in the Football League. As I said he should do better in League Two, competition is lower and Wycombe really strengthened the midfield and defense which should lead to more goals.

9. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Grella sucks! I don't care if banned again for say it. But Grella sucks because can't regularly with third division club.

10. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to turn this into a thing, but both he and his Father were born in the States.

11. JBOBO

JBOBO New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the USMNT takes a young approach for the 2014 WC. It worked wonders for Ghana and Germany.

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I won't be that harsh, but I generally agree that a guy who couldn't get consistent playing time for a third division Leeds last year really shouldn't be near our NT at our current state.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having watched 95% of the Revs games this year, I'd say he has a long way to go to be anywhere near a Nats call up. At times you don't even know he is out there. He has a good touch inside the 18 but so far he can not create his own shot and needs to be served the ball on a platter. In 4 years? maybe but I don't see it. He will be more of a 5-7 goal a year role player from what I see

14. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    the young guys need to be at least as good as an older guy...

and the likes of donovan or dempsey don't have any young kid pressing them..

in fact, i don't like the curerent group of kids as threatening the current group

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Zach had a missed header last night...........when the ball was served on a platter. I have no idea how he missed it. That's not to say I don't think he's a decent prospect, but he's not ready.

As far as Grella goes...........he didn't have a chance at a callup from league 1. It's been a while since the USMNT has called up a league 1 players. Who was the last? I guess maybe Eddie Lewis? He wasn't there long while Leeds were in League 1, but it's possible. Zak Whitbread was getting great reviews at Millwall, and he didn't get a callup. If Mike or Zak get some playing time in the Championship this season, I think they'll get a look. It's tough, though. Players of their quality in MLS can compete for a camp cupcake invite.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    All you've got to do is look at the forwards that will be eligible for our 2012 Olympic team. (guys that are 20-21 now) Altidore, of course, is there. But the guys who were supposed to take the "next step" like Peri Marosevic and Tony Taylor have fallen off the face of the earth. Brek Shea would only be a forward on that team out of necessity. We'll probably need to dip into the U20 pool for that Olympic squad (McInearney, etc.)

This is why guys like Eddie Johnson and Kenny Cooper are still possibilities going forward. There's just not much out there. There aren't a lot of big Robbie Findley fans out there, but he's not going anywhere for the time being. Maybe Marcus Tracy (who's what 25?) will get healthy?

So we can't eliminate anybody as an option at this point. Mike Grella? Why the hell not? Call him up for a friendly and see if he's got something to offer.

17. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a bit harsh. Grella was sitting behind Jermaine Beckford. it's hard to get minutes even in League 1 when your competition is Beckford--the guy was regarded as clearly above League 1 level and attracted a lot of interest in the Premiere League before moving to Everton.

18. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Grella should go out on loan this season. I'm thinking League One even though the guy prefers the Championship. I can't see the latter happening unless he does well at a League One club. This year will be a big test for him IMO, right now he just needs to play.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And Beckford's partner.......Bicchio (something like that. An argentine) was also very good.

Leeds may have been in League 1, but they didn't have a League 1 roster.

I saw that they parted with one of their reserve forwards, Kandol, earlier this week.

Grella should see a decent amount of playing time this season. Enough that we can form a better opinion about him.

By the way, there's still another US eligible player on Leeds in Bradley Johnson. We sometimes forget about him. And there's a 3rd guy, David Somma......who grew up in the states playing soccer. I don't know if he's US eligible, but he might be.

20. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Somma is eligible and I believe prefers the USA in terms of national team aspirations (also eligible for South Africa and Italy). . http://www.leedsunited.com/page/PlayerProfiles/0,,10273~49090,00.html

Born in SA but moved to the states at age 11. He has a greencard that was recently renewed http://www.football.co.uk/leeds_united/somma_thanks_mp_rss941051.shtml

Best season IMO was last one when he went on loan to Lincoln (League Two) and scored 9 goals in 14 games. It also earned him a contract extension with Leeds.

21. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Bradley Johnson is not eligible for the USA. He does have an African-American grandfather but it doesn't make him eligible. He believed he was because of his grandfather but he isn't.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotta say after watching the Milk Cup our forward production line looks like it is finally churning up results. There is tons of quality there with Salgado (going to be #1 overall pick in the MLS draft for sure), Ruelas, and Agudelo. Add Danny Mwanga when he becomes eligable and Jack McInerney, we are finally going to have options. Thats most likely down the road, but if 1 or 2 became ready to go for 2014 that would be a huge help. I think when Mwanga becomes eligable he and Altidore are going to be really hard to upend up top. Thats a mouth watering striker combination when early 2012 rolls around (when i think he is eligable).

Sooner we can graduate from the class of Buddle, Gomez, Findley, the better. Theyre probably going to stick around till the end of the Gold Cup though. I just pray Charlie Davies is good to go by then so the point is moot. Just sucks having this problem every cycle. :(

23. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    In between World Cups is always a big rebuilding 4 years IMO. I think we should try and call up as many forwards as we can even guys like Grella, Somma, Pittman (I know I say his name alot but as someone who has followed/watched him for a few years he isn't any worse than Findley), Yura (when eligible), some of the current U20s as they progress, Braun, etc. We have 4 years and IMHO we need to make use of it. If they don't pan out fine but at least we can say we tried. We can't leave any stone unturned. JMO.

Edit: I forgot Marcus Tracey. Hopefully he can get/stay fit over the next couple of years so he can show something.

24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think we should play Buddle more. The guy is a finisher and that is all we need. We have two really good wingers in LD and Dempsey. We also have pretty good CM's. Buddle should be looked at a lot more

25. Beserkr29

Beserkr29 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Buddle's come on recently, but he'll be almost too old by 2014. We've got some younger players I'd rather see develop, instead of Buddle being relied upon. If he's got the same skills and form in 2014 that he does now, I'd love for him to be around. But I think we have better, younger options to sift through this cycle.