Top 100 Prospects: The Forwards

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by voros, Jun 28, 2010.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo is having a nice year, but I looked at his age and his recent past and he still seems like a pretty big longshot at this point. Schilawski is more interesting, so I'm going to take more of a wait and see point on him. Lenhart has never really struck me as a guy destined for bigger things than MLS, but I've been wrong before. Maybe it was just his hair. :)

2. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How I read it, you wanted to know who was saying that we needed more talent from lower income communities (i.e. you hadn't seen the Klinnsman interview)... which is why I posted it... Obviously, I interpretted the context wrong... moving on...

3. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fari enough. (And the absurd statement crack was meant for the original poster, not your response. Sorry if it came off wrong.)

4. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    So much for Europe. Send the guys to South America.

5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Really liked Poodle-head in his 1st couple of years. But, from what I've seen of the Crew this year, it's as if they pass the ball around him. Dude is like me at a pick-up game....running his butt off, getting into good spots, working on the defensive end, and his teammates pass the ball right past him. I know why the dudes at the pickup game don't pass to me. But, I thought Poodle-head was pretty good. It's a mystery to me.

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zimmerman is a bit of a sleeper considering the lack of depth in our pool, but his career has gone backwards lately and he needs to find playing time at a decent level.

Smith has failed to make an impact at some very tepid clubs like Toronto FC, NK Rijeka, and Kalmar FF. He's super fast, but he doesn't offer much else. His speed will always entice, but I think we have to accept that the market has spoken. At least for the time being.

Agreed. The national team program consists of more than 11 or 23 players and it's nice to have guys like Schilawski and Lenhart on the fringe. If you collect enough of them, a couple will overachieve and turn out to be a role player at some point in the qualifying phase. That has value and shouldn't be ignored. At the same time, it would be a big mistake to hang your hopes on them bailing us out of our 2014 forward situation.

7. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justin Braun anyone?

8. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd personally pass from what I've seen of him. He has hustle and decent speed/size but I've not seen any evidence of a good soccer brain. His touch is average. He'll end up being a decent MLS striker but I don't see any ability to make the jump to international level.

9. ua6870

ua6870 New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    What, no love for Stevet Lenhart of Columbus Crew? Now age 23 which would make him 27 at next world cup. This kid is truly psycho when playing. I actually think defenders from the south america countries would fear him.

10. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him score a hat trick in the CONCACAF champions league earlier this year. I really think he has some upside and would drive those other CONCACAF nations crazy

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching Germany I'd say we need more Poloks.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes.....yes.....im following.....time to convert Danny Szetela into a forward :D

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zach Schilawski

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on there. Don't really think all that much of him, but scoring goals is scoring goals.

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far it seems like Schilawski and Ream are the two most argued omissions on my lists, so feel free to add them on to make 102. Wisdom of crowds and all that.

16. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd like to add David Arvizu & Israel Sesay, can I make it a list of 104?:D

17. Libero4

Libero4 Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Yep, I concur.

Let's throw a Robbin,Forlan,Suarez, and Villa on the list for good measure.:D

18. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, in other words, the wizards need to hurry up and release him so he starts scoring boatloads of goals and gets called up. (See Movsyssian, Yura and Gomez, Herculez)

19. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Grella is my helium pick. I also suspect Pontius will become a lot more prolific once he's freed from having to play for Curt Onalfo (so next season at the very latest).

I'm also guessing Mwanga will be a U.S. citizen in fairly short order. He very well might be putting his life on the line if he plays for Congo (given his assassinated father's political past).

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar Salgado :cool: Chivas de Guadalajara forward (AMERICAN)

21. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm sorry but he goes with Canada and I hope become a good striker in the MLS the next few years.

22. mdale10

mdale10 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching the LA - Seattle game last night and Bowen looks really good, very promising.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I concur. Was suprised of his first touch and seemed to make the right pass. At times he doesn't recognize the need for the one touch pass but looks strong, and pretty athletic with good ball skills. I like!

24. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pontius isn't exactly a deadly finisher. He needs tons of chances to be effective - something he won't get a lot of for the US.

Also, DC have still never fired a manager. They'll let Onalfo see out his contract just like they did with Soehn, Nowak, Hudson and Rongen before him.

25. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Jack McInerney ????

danny mwanga will be 23....and is actually scoring

5 goals to jack's 1....

and mwanga is light years ahead...