Top 10 reasons to fire a coach

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by 0506, Mar 13, 2006.

1. are the parents that you deal with that unreasonable??

it would take quite alot for me to revolt with the other parents.

2. allsport132000

allsport132000 New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The power is there, it just can't be one unhappy parent who thinks Timmy or Tammy isn't getting a fair shake.
    Enough parents go to the top and make their case, it's a done deal. Emphasis on player safety (such as coach arriving late, leaving early, and/or leaving partway through a practice and returning), drinking on the job (sorry, we had to deal with that once), emotional cruelty to players...

calm people in large groups will get someone's attention, sooner or later.

3. vo..are you from NJ?? just in case i start a revolt.:rolleyes: :eek:

4. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    I think we send our Garbage to NJ

5. olderandwiser

olderandwiser New Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Milwaukee
    As I said, that was seven years ago. The team went on to win two State Championships after that. End of discussion.

Lighten up, dude.

6. Feb 14, 2006, Soccer America:

2006 SOCCER AMERICA TOP 20 GIRLS CLUBS

PDA #2 !

For the third year, Soccer America selects the top 20 boys and girls clubs, based on success of their teams in national youth competitions over the last three years and national recognition for players
    from these clubs in 2005.

that's okay VO..you keep sending NJ your garbage.

7. EJDad

EJDad New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    How do you violate #4 AND #7? Run REALLY SLOWLY?

8. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I agree with VO. Let word get out that you are looking for a coach who is responsible for his actions and responsible to be a leader/mentor to his/her team. I think that if a coach knows what he/she is doing he darn sure will want to work for your club. Wait, maybe that isn't what you meant, VO? That is how I see it, plain and simple.

I think that you are insinuating that the good coaches would never work for a club that will hold them accountable. If it is not, then could you please enlighten us obviously soccer ignorant people to how things really are?

9. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    No the club holds the coach accountable not the parents got it now. If you can't understand that then you are soccer ignorant. What good coach would work for the parents of the players?

10. olderandwiser

olderandwiser New Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Milwaukee
    You might have an argument if the club paid the coach. In this case, it was the parents.

11. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    No just because the club asks for money for their kid to play they still are not in charge of the club.

When I did youth teams my club did not charge the player to play. They had a very good plan on how to raise money for the club and some of the club members were very well off. They picked up the excess.

This is what you guys should do as parents start your own club.

This is hiow you do it. I tweak my original post for your bebeifit :)

You can start a club with just one team to start with. Just need to join a league to
    play in a travel league.

To do a team like this you need a home field. You might have to pay for
    use of a field. Then you need little things a lot of little things.

Need a set of goals if the field does not already have them, nets, paint to mark fields, paint machine. Before the paint
    you have to mark the field so it looks like a field. If you get a lot of
    rain got to go and remark the field :) Have to pay for officialing at
    homegames. Things like a ladder, medical kit, big water jug a lot of
    etc.

Need start up money to buy this stuff, league fees to get into the
    league, player passes, then fee per team each yr, a refundable deposit that
    you can get back if you oue no money to the league when you end your
    club. Which will be with your kids decide not to play any more or when you pull your kids because you are unhappy even if they are.

Need uniforms home and away. Practice stuff pennies, bag of practice
    balls, game balls, cones and what ever else you need corner flags.

So that start up money that you need up front could run into thousands
    per team should be no problems for you guys dividing the money needed from each parent.

Oh make a club bylaw
    telling the player and the parent their resposibilities to the club
    before you give the player a league pass. They should sign it and return it
    to you. Make two copies one they keep and one you keep. Put everything in it that your hearts desire. Like you must play my kids more then the rest.

Also the refund policy. Mention also that they the parent are rquired
    to perform functions for their sons team like transportation to and from
    games, and anything else you can think of that you might need to help
    the team. mention playing time and what it is based on. You can say it is based on how much each parent pays :)

Once a kid gets his pass you can not cut him, but they can leave the team if your babies are sad or if you are sad which is more likely to happen.. He can leave you can't
    cut him.

So be careful before you give him a pass. Think you may have a
    disruptive parent :) don't take his kid no matter how good he is. Bad
    parents are a cancer and can be a cancer to other parents. You don't need
    that because you already have that most likely. Just got to give all your players written realease so they can disrupt other teams that are stupid enough to take your liitle kids :)

It's hard to make money off this it is basically a chump change
    job if you see it as a job. You may have to charge a lot if your expenses
    are heavy and you do tournaments and need trainers. Better to be able
    to train them yourselves so you don't have to hire them to help you train. So can any of the know it all parents can actually train players to become better players?

The more you charge the parent the more imput they think they have. I
    mention this again because I don't want you to forget it. But, I know you guys are experts in this part at least.

I don't really want to talk to parents unless I know they really know
    the game. I will let them know that I care about their kid like if they
    were my own kids. One good rule to have never screw a player to win a
    game. Wear your love of the game on your sleave for everyone to see
    it's contagious to everyone around you.

Good play praise no matter who does it out loud even the opponent. That
    you can talk to the parents about. Helps them know what good play is.
    Bad play during games take notes and say nothing. if parents prasie bad
    play correct them why it was not good play. So the players won't get
    confused talking to their kids at home.

3) How do you go about properly promoting and advertising this new
    club?

Helps to know some one in the school system and advertise in the
    school. Make your self known in rec leagues and older in HS soccer coaches.

Want to find older players become an official in HS soccer. Tell the
    players you have to find other good players. Have all the member adult of
    your club always be on the look out for otherplayers. No matter what
    age so everyone is always on the look out for anyone that can help your
    club. I would advertise in local ethnic papers if you have them

4) What is the actual legal process you go through to start a new club?

Let the league handle that and the league has rules know them follow
    them and be honest always especially true when dealing with players and
    parents always. That gets you good word of mouth.

5) Where and how do you get your coaching license? And how many levels
    are there? What level would you recommend going to before starting a
    club?

Through your state association of the USSF

D through 12. C is okay through 14/16. After B and wantto make a living meager as it would be
    need an A

6) What ways to you find kids to come to your club and get them
    interested in the sport if they aren't already?

Want kids to be into the game? Pas your love of game to kids and their
    parents. Wear it on your sleeve as I said before. Kids at 5 and 6 play
    for a lot of reasons most have to do with the parent. So try to make
    the games fun for the parent as well. Because they are the ones who get
    the kids to practices and games.

Almost forgot don't buy stuff through sites. Buy through local soccer
    stores. None where you are start one that is how you will make some money.

Any way buy local you can get a lot of free stuff if you by local.
    Advertise for players in their store. Let them be a sponser if and when you
    start your own tournament. Push players to their stores tell them the store to
    give those players pushed by you discounts.

12. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Well, there went 5 minutes of my life I will NEVER get back. VO- if there was something important in your last post, I can't find it. You just described in 500 words how to start a club. But, you missed all the hard stuff.

Here is my point at it's most basic level- Coaches are accountable to ALL of thier "customers". Thier customers are the players/parents and the Club. Yes, it is more desirable that the Club is paying attention and knows what happens with all teams. No, it is not likely they will know anything wtihout the parents keeping them informed. I am quite sure that you are arguing over semantics. It seems to me that the actual physical act of firing a coach must be done by the Club- that is who the Coach is employed with. I don't think anyone is suggesting that "little Johnny's dad" walked up and said "Coach, you're done give me your whistle". But, the parents are the closest to the situation on a daily basis and will report to the Club when problems arise. The Club will investigate and consequences will occur.

I can tell you that there is no way I could organize a "rebellion" to have our Coach fired if I felt that my kid wasn't getting enough playing time. The other parents wouldn't go for it-- this discussion seems ridiculous to me? Anyone else? Just seems as though it is common sense to everyone but VO who continues to explain how stupid others are?

13. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    I just thought one of you might want to start your own club someday to make you happy. A lot of good info on how to do it is in that post. You know put your money into the game.

14. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Well, there went 5 minutes of my life I will NEVER get back. VO- if there was something important in your last post, I can't find it. You just described in 500 words how to start a club. But, you missed all the hard stuff.

Not to mention, like our area really needs ANOTHER club, our area is already watered down with competing clubs

Coaches are accountable to ALL of thier "customers". Thier customers are the players/parents and the Club

If you do not like a Ford, go buy a Chevy. If you like Burger King better than Wendys, then stay at Burger King. Same thing in Soccer. If you do not like Coach You Have Now, Then go somewhere else

I can tell you that there is no way I could organize a "rebellion" to have our Coach fired if I felt that my kid wasn't getting enough playing time. The other parents wouldn't go for it-- this discussion seems ridiculous to me? Anyone else?

I find this thread as a place to bash your coach. And if you bash your coach, then your also bashing your club. Im sure you could wait till the year is over with and jump to another club or team. But, prior to doing so, please talk about your problem with a board member, or the Director of Coaching about the problem. It could be fixable. And just one more thing I havent seen yet, What does little Johnny or Jenny think of the coach and team, they might very well like the coach??

15. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Been there, done that. That is why I added the comment that many of the important details are missing. It is not as simple as you make it out.

BTW VO, did you ever answer the question I posed to you a month (or longer) ago regarding which team was your in the Dallas Cup (was that the tournament we were discussing about the rules)? You promised that if we asked, you would answer....but no answer ever came? :confused:

One more thing- R2 you are absolutely right.

16. i dunno menace..was it only 500 words?? seemed like a whole lot more than that but then again, i bailed at about 150. anyone want to know how to start a riding club or run a horse show?? sorry..just can't stop myself.:rolleyes:

if a parent voices a legitimate concern(child safety, coach behavior/attitude) and the club ignores it...it isn't a club i want my kid in no matter how great it appears to be on the outside. they are OUR children. not the clubs. we are the ones that will still be with that child once the club is long gone.

17. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005