Top 10 reasons to fire a coach

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by 0506, Mar 13, 2006.

1. 0506

0506 Member

I got this idea from another post from another forum, but I modified it a bit:

Top 10 reasons for parents and/or clubs to fire a coach

1. If your coach shows up late constantly to practice and games, he or she should be fired.
    2. If your coach talks on the cell phone constantly during practice and games, he or she should be fired.
    3. If the first 15 minutes of practice involves your coach setting up cones and having conversations with parents, he or she should be fired.
    4. If after training session your kid’s training shirt is, as devoid of sweat as when you first arrived, he or she should be fired.
    5. If your team players have not improved since they joined the team, he or she should be fired.
    6. If your coach fails to communicate effectively with all parents, he or she should be fired.
    7. All practices consist of running laps and having group scrimmage games, while the coach chats on his cell phone or parents on the sidelines, he or she should be fired.
    8. If your team has only one clear system of play—kick the ball to forwards and let the forwards outrun defender (i.e. playing kick ball or boom ball), he or she should be fired
    9. If during the team “down-time” your coach never makes an effort to improve his or her coaching education, he or she should be fired.
    10. If all your coach does each year is recruit better athletes, who were developed by other clubs, in order to win some silly tournament, he or she should be fired.

2. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Club:
    New England Revolution
    United States
    i guess your son or daughter isn't getting the right amount of playing time. You need to let out your frustration gradually and not all at once. Sounds like you want to put the name of a specific coach on the thread. Easy boy!
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

My kid once had a paid coach who violated rules #1, #3, #4, #6, and #7. He didn't last long.
  4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

o snap. My coach sucks.

5. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Curious who would give a parent the power to fire a coach in club ball?
  6. texinid

texinid New Member

4. If after training session your kid’s training shirt is, as devoid of sweat as when you first arrived, he or she should be fired.

Hard to tell if its sweat during spring ball, what with the 30 degree weather, snow, sleet, etc.:D
  7. travelmomnew2soccer

travelmomnew2soccer Member

0506..feel for you.

sounds like my daughter has a great coach!!!!!!!!

can we fire parents if they are consistantly 15-20 minutes late? oh wait..we'd lose 1/2 our team....:rolleyes:
  8. olderandwiser

olderandwiser New Member

Reminds me of the time one of my sons was asked by his new coach to sign a form committing 100% effort to the success of his team. A few weeks later we go to Madison for a tournament and, second game, coach is nowhere to be found. Seems he was tossing back a couple beers at the local Hooters with a parent from another team. True.

We (the parents) fired him.

Make that 11 reasons.
  9. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

So did the club give you the power to fire him or you just did it on your own which means nothing if you did it with out authority.
  10. olderandwiser

olderandwiser New Member

It might mean nothing to you, but it meant everything to us and the reputation of our club. Club management had no problem with his release - there was no stranglehold mentality. Facts were facts and were acknowledged by the coach. He understood the consequences of his actions.
  11. travelmomnew2soccer

VO......if all the parents feel the same way and refuse to take thier kids to practice with that coach. the club has two choices, lose the coach or the team. one parent might not have the power but 14 or more parents have it.
  12. olderandwiser

olderandwiser New Member

Seven years ago youth clubs weren't as structured as they are today. There was no formal line of recourse available to him even if he had chosen to contest it. And it wasn't done in haste - he was allowed to finish (mercifully near the end of) his contracted season. It was a unanimous decision.

I would have to say that the icing on the cake was his putting that commitment document in front of our sons and telling them they had to sign it and then turning around and drinking his a$$ into oblivion so that he didn't remember to be back at the fields by 2:00.

Maybe it wasn't beer, maybe it was VOwith water. ;)
  13. Law5

Law5 Member+

This is turning into "stupid coach tricks." How about the team out of town at a tournament, teenage female player is discovered in bed with a male player from another team. Discoverer goes to report this to the coach, only to discover coach in bed with female player's mother!
  14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Like mother, like daughter. Wish I knew that family when I was younger and unmarried.
  15. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Let that get around when your looking for another coach who actually knows what he is doing and see if he want to work for your club.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

A good coach would be worried by parents who fire coaches who are drinking at Hooters during the game?
  17. travelmomnew2soccer

what would you rather have "get around"?

that the club tolerates "stupid coach tricks" or that you are a club that is interested in soccer,the welfare of the players, and the coaches commitment to the team.

as a parent..i prefer the latter. i'd hope a serious coach would also.

as a stupid trick playing coach...i'd prefer the first option.
  18. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

No but what will be the nest reason why they take it upon themselves to fire someone. Kids not getting enough playing time.
  19. travelmomnew2soccer

or rather a bad coach would be worried. the good coach would be at the game.;)
  20. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

John you probably know who this is. Would you work for a club where parents have power to make changes even if they are good changes next time might be a bad reason?

On team parents banding together and putting an ultimatium on a club to do something. It would be give them 16 releases with us and wish them good luck.
  21. the Next Level

the Next Level Member

let me guess who THAT was!!! :)
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

It's a slippery slope, I'll give you that. The best answer is for the club to fire the coach on the spot and apologize to the parents. That's what a good club would do. Otherwise, the parents are in an awkward position ... like being shipmates with Captain Bligh. Damned as a mutineer if you rebel, a life of hell if you don't.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Some guy in a turban? :p
  24. the Next Level

the Next Level Member

ROTFLMAO!!!

he's here all week folks!!!
  25. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

The people in his club evidently hired a scumbag. I will tell if he did that and I was a parent I would have got into his face, but I could not have fired him.