"Too much humility is vanity" | The alternate universe that is The Other Teams Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Meh 2-0.

I guess we gotta settle for taking joy from widening the gap this round.

2. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    6 point lead over 2nd then.

3. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Atletico are massive, massive chokers. It's amazing how nervous they get when they face LPB, mainly coming from the pressure of trying to end the 13 year winless streak. Seriously, I don't think they'll end the rot in the Derbi for at least another decade. There was no better time to beat LPB than now, but they can't even put three passes together and get some shots in. They've proven themselves as a good team against Barca, Chelsea, and others in recent years, but against LPB, it's completely different and they just forget how to play football.

4. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Very predictable. Both teams thrive on fast, powerful counters so their styles cancel each other out. The 1st goal meant AM had to venture forward, and now LPB made them pay with a 2nd.

So in response to Azulgrana ^^^ I don't see it so much as choking or having a psychological block as just how a team is built tactically and in personnel. I don't think Atleti is built to beat LPB, ironically because they are built in the same model as LPB.

2 subs coming on for Atleti. Let's see if it changes this dynamic. Cholo looked out of ideas a minute ago.

5. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Tbf, even if they hadn't surprised positively tonight, Atleti still has been the biggest positive surprise of the season (and it was always going to be tough against hurt-beasts LPB).

6. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    haha Crissy hits the bar then the post within minutes of each other.

pro tip: try putting some SPIN on it!

unclesox repped this.
  7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldo hitting woodwork a couple times in this half has been the only enjoyable thing so far.

8. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Atletico has pretty much given up after that second goal

9. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Were Chelsea not a fast, counterattacking team under RDM as well? Atletico destroyed them 4-1.

But being similar in style to LPB doesn't excuse the fact that they haven't had a real opportunity all game long, haven't been able to put three passes together, and have looked nervous every time they've been on the ball. They haven't beaten their biggest rivals for 13 years, how is that not a psychological block?

There really is very little chance of them ending the rot in the next few years, they've got to fix their problems against LPB big time. There was no better time to get a win than there was today and they've been played off the park, mainly their own undoing.

10. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's their M.O.

11. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    RDM's Chelsea, I'd argue, tried out an experiment at the start of the season with Mata, Hazard and Oscar to become more possession-based. I didn't see the SuperCup, but I don't think they approached that game the way they did the CL semi and final last season.

Atleti have put up promising challenges to end the rot with Forlan and Kun in the past. Still nuttin.

12. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hahah. Forgot this highlight:

jfcule, tadm123, unclesox and 2 others repped this.
  13. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    They were still a counterattacking side against more challenging teams though, but Atletico really outplayed them in the Super Cup. I don't doubt Atleti as a good team because they certainly are, but they really have a big, big problem when they face LPB. They get so nervous because of the pressure put on them to finally beat them and then they just forget how to play football and really don't come up with anything.

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't AM's president start a season once saying LPB has a built in 6 point advantage: the 3 points AM always take off of Barça and the 3 points AM always give up to LPB? How inspirational.

True. Oversight on my part. :D

15. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    LA Galaxy about to beat Houston in the MLS Cup for those who care. Swan song for Beckham and maybe Donovan.

Sid Lowe repeated that quote in the Guardian podcast this week, except he said it as 9 points (2 losses to RM). Who knows what the original quote was.

16. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I wouldn't bet on Atletico taking points in the next Madrid derby either. Useless :rolleyes:

17. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Despite the result I'm now a fan of Diego Costa.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Enjoyable to see Casillas not celebrate Ronaldo's goals. What's going on there ? Camera focused straight at his facial expression right after the goal. I have to say ... some weird facial expressions from Casillas.

19. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that as well.

(drugs) ;)

20. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nothing going on there. It was more a "wow" expression from Casillas. At least that's how I interpreted it.

22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, why should he? Ronaldo always go to the crowd and make "I'm the man" gesture everytime he scores. When Benzema or Higuain scores he was like "whatever"

Cassilas probably didnt like how Ron keep boosting himself as the best in the universe. That's why Cassilas always vocal about Spanish player deserve to be WPOTY.

23. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Iker finally showed us his "O face"

[​IMG]

24. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona