"Too much humility is vanity" | The alternate universe that is The Other Teams Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Cordoba gets an away-goal against Real Sociedad. Looks like it will be the Segunda division team to face Barca in the next round of the CdR. Lead 3-1 on aggregate.

2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that works out nicely for Barca I guess, assuming no 3 goal burst from Real Sociedad in the next 25 minutes. Cordoba is a wonderful city to visit in Andalusia, same great Moorish melding into Catholic architecture w/o the crowds of Granada and Sevilla, great food too.

EDIT - Now sealed up for Cordoba with another away goal, Real Sociedad won't be scoring 4 in 15 minutes. Cordoba played Barca B in October and beat them in Cordoba 2-1, but they sit below Barca B in the table.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Could you imagine if he went to Bayern last summer? Right now Bayern are 11-1-1 with 38 goals scored and 5 against. Amazing domination which would have totally been attributed to Mourinho if he was managing them. :coffee: As it is, the players are getting the credit. Also too late for Mourinho to go there if he wants the media to link any "coincidental" improvement in the team he takes-over (which is something he has built his entire reputation on).

4. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We are all hoping pep would take the Bayern helm once JH retires this year..
    Pep > Mou

I think the 3 egos at the top would tone down more for pep then they would Mou.. I foresee a lot of clashes between Mou and FO after about 3 months :p

I really hope pep doesn't go to Chelsea or something like that :(

5. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Same here, specially after that derbi has been that extremely one-sided in the past years. Just imagine the meltdown all over Real Madrid if Atleti manages to beat them at their own stadium.

Can't wait. :D

6. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Guardian footie guru Jonathan Wilson asks: Is Ronaldo a strength or weakness to a team?

Of course there's the whole LPB-are-everything-that's-wrong-with-the-world thing, but I also have to agree with Wilson that, on balance, CR7's strengths usually come at the cost of team tactics.

...which begs another question, how can a player whose presence on the field can clearly be exploited by opponents, as Wilson argues, be considered for WPOTY? ;)

jfcule and Dhajj repped this.
  7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I've discussed it on our boards and yours a few times,
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...t-leg-4-17-12-r.1933879/page-39#post-25540796
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/la-liga-j35-el-clásico-fc-barcelona-v-real-madrid-21-april-2012-r.1935521/page-12#post-25571849
    and I agree with Wilson, but the truth is that we gamble that giving him offensive freedom will result in an advantage for us. In order to make an attacking run the right-back needs to leave Ronaldo up the pitch, so he'd better be a very good right-back. Most of the time it works, and sometimes it doesn't. It's a calculated risk.

You might recall another player who didn't track back often and played on the left wing who was also considered for WPOTY:
    [​IMG]

puyol repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Scolari will be announced tomorrow as the new coach of Brazil.

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    track back? clearly they're run out of reason haha​

10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argh! :)

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you are brilliant enough on offense you don't need to track back. But as a winger who doesn't track back, you can only have one striker. They can't expect to play with Benzema + Higuain and have Ronaldo sit up front too.

Another solution is high pressure. If you win the ball in the opponents field, your attackers don't have to track back ;)

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think Wilson is guilty of over-complicating things. Madrid got 78 points the season before Ronaldo joined. Okay, they kind of threw away a couple of games at the end of that season, but at best they were headed for a point tally in the mid-80's in La Liga. Since then they've averaged 96. And it's not because of Kaka. :p

Meanwhile, Man United haven't quite reached the level they were at from 2006-9.

13. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    ?? We don't usually play with both of them, it's one or the other.

14. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Footballing-wise, there are many things wrong with LPB, but way more things right. Cristiano Ronaldo is by far their best player. Their on-pitch problems aren't down to how C-Ron has played, although obviously at the time of a crisis more could be asked from everyone.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Looks like Athetic Bilbao fielded a B-team in Israel, apart from Llorente. I'm not even sure the A-team traveled as I don't recognize many names on their bench either.

16. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a surpise since they are already mathematically eliminated and, to my knowledge, Europa has no requirements to field certain # of first teamers on the pitch at all time (unlike Copa del Rey). This is another reason to be happy we are resting half our starters today.

Levante looking to not advance at the moment (need 2 2nd half goals to advance), but thankfully Valencia is on track to advance (as they seem the toughest possible opponent in Real Madrid's corner of the CdR draw before a likely semifinal with Barca in January).

17. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    On the few occasions LPB have played without CR7 in the lineup, they've played more fluidly and <gulp> as a team. That doesn't mean his presence isn't a net plus for his team, though.

I agree this wasn't one of Jonathan Wilson's most brilliant pieces. But he is arguing about something more profound than simply Crissy not "tracking back." It's about how players perform in relation to their teammates rather than as individuals.

The subtext is, Wilson's really criticizing the model of football based on amassing talent. It's not only a tactical issue about what goes on on the pitch but also a matter of economics: as long as every club believes the key to success is to get the most talented players, we will have a marketplace built on individual attributes as if it's the FIFA videogame. Wilson's pointing out that CR7 embodies that model, but it (and he) comes with major faults.

MavadoDribblez and evil_allan repped this.
  18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good on Levante, came back with 3 2nd half goals and now look to be through 4-2. Chelsea in another scoreless draw so far in game 2 of the Rafa era.

19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Corinthians to win the FIFA Club World Cup. :thumbsup:

MavadoDribblez repped this.
  20. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Todo Poderoso!!!

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I wish Barca had won the CL so that they could beat the living lights out of Corinthians. That's one game that I just will have to pull for Chelsea. Actually I will be hoping for them to fall in the SF.

22. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Força Monterrey, Al-Ahly, or Ulsan Hyundai!

23. TeSo

TeSo Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well if you think PK are less impressive than lets say for example tap-ins coming from open play then that is your personal opinion... or even free kicks.. Everybody has a taste. But that is not even my point, because if you are going to start counting goals on their impressiveness level then that is completely different.

It seems you are the one missing the point. My point, and it is without bashing on Messi (don't get your nuts in a tie), who I do think is the best player in the planet, does not need you to hide or twist the facts to show that he is the best football player; and it ends up not only boosting Messi, but downgrading the other players in the League.

Goals are facts, they either happen or they don't, don't twist the facts too boost up what you think it is more impressive. It becomes annoying; as if the other goals are less meaningful, even if that is not the point you are trying to portray.

24. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So many possible ways to answer to this lol.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    No, not my personal opinion. It is fact that a kick from twice as far (at least) with 6-10 defenders between the ball and the goal is more difficult.

We are talking about a statistic for individuals here. Thus I think the purpose of the stat in the first place is to reflect individual qualities. If two defenders score 10 goals each in a season, but one got 9 penalties it doesn't mean he is a great attacking defender. He's (probably) just a good PK taker. Nothing more, nothing less. However the other one with 0 penalties and 10 goals most likely is a dangerous player in attack. So although the goals are equally important for the team, they say something different about the attacking qualities of the individuals.

No need for you to get personal. Its just my way of illustrating that Messi has been able to maintain his goal-scoring pace this season without the benefit of his teammates and the referees earning a lot of penalties for him.