Too many red cards in MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Boloni86, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    So far it's 20 in 62 games by my count ... That's 1 in 3 games. I don't know what a normal rate is for other seasons or in other leagues but that seems high to me ...

I don't want to make this a referendum on referees. I know they're not that great in MLS. I'm sure a couple of those 20 were bad reds ... but to be fair I can think of at least 10 tackles this season that should of been reds and weren't.

Anyways I'd rather focus on the coaching and what to me seems like Braveheart tactics sometimes. Seems like lots of MLS coaches rely on at least one hack on the team ... often more. These hacks are often disguised as "hard workers" ... which may be true ... but this isn't English football in the 60's any more. Some of the tackles I'm seeing in MLS this season are beyond absurd. Two footed tackles ... studs raised ... and players going in even when they have almost no chance of winning the ball. I feel like this can easily be coached out of the game somewhat but as long as long as these low salary players feel like their best chance to impress the coach is by going into every lost cause challenge we're going to continue seeing reds and referees losing control of games.

2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    http://thomasswan.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Most-Red-Cards-Premier-League

So in the EPL its about 1 in 6 games.

So far this year in MLS it's been 1 in 3 games.

Things often times level out, or the referees have been told to crack down, or maybe they're all over compensating for the whole scab/lockout thing and trying to inject themselves to make themselves even more involved/important.

We should probably wait until more games have played though before we declare anything a trend and not just a an anomaly of the opening few weeks.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The EPL has had 48 red cards in 346 games for 0.14 per game. 20 in 62 games is 2.33 times as many per game. La Liga has had a red card rate of 0.29 per game, which is more than double the EPL but still fewer than MLS. The Bundesliga has a red card rate of 0.20 per game.

4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ben Jata @Ben_Jata
    Red cards / Penalties - (thru first 7 weeks in MLS) 2012 - 63 games = 9 / 12 2013 - 60 games = 6 / 15 2014 - 62 games = 20 / 27

15 to 32 repped this.
  5. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    MLS is a hack league and it's going to take a prolonged period of stricter enforcement to start to change that dynamic.

I hope that's the direction we're heading. I'm glad to see fouls in the penalty area actually get called, and dangerous fouls shown red - that's a good start. Next let's get some suspensions going for persistent infringement for all the cheap hacking and shirt grabbing that regularly defines MLS defensive play.

ZipSix, superdave, Revolt and 6 others repped this.
  6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with it. Think it's needed to change the mindset of both players and coaches who feel they can hack the crap out of attacker as a defensive strategy or use over the top physical play as a means to control tempo, which makes the game uglier.

MLS would and will benefit from a more open style. This is a part of getting there. When I see guys like Jackson out there taking cheap shot and hacking guys down every week, and see how guys like Nagbe/Clint/Morales are defended, I'd actually argue we need more cards.

Red card rate is misleading. When you know more reds will come out, you change your mindset which ultimately leads to fewer reds. If MLS keeps calling a tighter game and penalizing the overly aggressive defenders, players/team will adjust at some point and the red card rate should drop.

Revolt and Elninho repped this.
  7. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If the fouls deserve reds, I don't care if it is one per game. If players are putting other players in serious harm, we should not complain when it is punished (granted, not every red is for this, but you get the point).

JasonMa and KCbus repped this.
  8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reds dont bother me. I hope it forces players to tackle better and to play better defense.

I have no problem with more reds.

Revolt repped this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Dominic Kinnear is whining every week, so that's a good sign that things are going in the right direction.

Beerking, 15 to 32 and Boloni86 repped this.
  10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny considering the second yellow to Sarkodie was probably the one unjust call among the reds this past weekend.

11. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    They discussed the Chivas red card this weekend on ESPNFC with Peter Walton yesterday. The panel pretty much all agreed that it was a yellow card at best, but Peter said it was a red because (paraphrasing) "That's not the type of challenge we want in MLS"

Seems to me, that is a roundabout admission that there may in fact be a crackdown on the Hack a Shaq defending thats been going on with a lot of teams in the league.

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Good for them ... Now if only the coaches would take note and take some responsibility for the hacks they put out there. This isn't MLS '96 anymore. In most cases there are qualified options on the bench they could use but I think MLS is in a standoff. None of the coaches want to disarm. The fear is that if they bench their headhunters for a more technical option they will be dominated physically and lose the game. Unfortunately they're probably right ... you can still get a fair amount of points in this league just by brute force ...

13. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Fair enough but those leagues you mentioned are all a few couple games from their seasons being over, while MLS is just in its second month; a quick look at last season put MLS right between La Liga and Bundesliga in red card per game rate.

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I do find it funny that people fuss about how much shirt-pulling goes on. That's pretty much 100% standard everywhere. So far, no FA has found a way to actually bring a halt to that, as far as I know.

The reckless tackles are what need to go, and those appear to be being addressed currently. Persistent infringement would be next, as it's nowhere near as immediate of a concern, though it would help reign the enforcer players in. And that enforcer player is a time-honored tradition the world around. One of the more famous and spectacular examples currently is good ol Xabi Alonso. Guy is riding a red just about every game, with a couple nasty hits and a handful of tacticals. Anyways.

Bad tackles and poor decisions like that need to be weeded out. Even so, even in a league like the BPL where they boast some of the world's leading referees, hideous tackles and wildly reckless body-flingings still happen with disappointing regularity.

Revolt and Boloni86 repped this.
  15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Haven't had time to get a recent tally, but it feels like it's getting out of hand. Refs inventing PKs left and right.

I commend MLS refs for trying to have the courage to make the call, but there's that saying that I'd rather set 1000 guilty men free than convict one innocent man. There's some truth in that for me. An invented PK is more infuriating than an unrewarded one

16. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    My own take on the PKs is that MLS is trying to clean up the fouls in the box to free up offense, and I'm good with that. There were two PKs against Portland and while that seems excessive, I thought they were both deserved. On some level, it's not the ref's job to ignore your fouls in the box.

I have seen a couple that left me scratching my head (the Demerit one a couple of weeks ago, the TFC one last week). But I'd rather have that and cleaner play in the box than the other way around.

17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    >mfw all these red cards in mls

18. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I completely disagree. There are a lot more PKs being awarded this year, yes, but the vast majority I've seen have been pretty fair. I've been watching quite a number of different leagues lately and I must say that embellished and inexplicable PK calls seem more frequent in other leagues. PKs here seem often more for unwise defending and sticking legs out than in other leagues.

I dunno. I think MLS refs get all sorts of bitchy bad raps when the majority of them are doing a pretty decent job. Fans of every league have officiating decisions to fuss about, all the time. It's frustrating to see your team drop points because of difficult calls, but that's the sport, damnit.

19. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I know this is the General section and not the Analysis section, but can you actually give some examples? Saying "it feels like it's getting out of hand. Refs inventing PKs left and right" without actually posting any examples is kind of silly. Based on when you posted this, I'm guessing you were referring to the Portland - Vancouver game, and those PKs were legit. If anything, there was a good claim for a 4th that was turned down. The Chicago - LA one is only a poor call if the foul happened outside the box, and given the angles we have, it's hard to tell exactly where the foul occurred. And then there are the ones people have differing opinions on - @Ghost thinks the Doneil Henry PK last week was a weak call, I thought it was a clear as day penalty. Have there been some weak PKs given so far this season? Of course, but that's going to happen no matter what. But I don't think the number of weak PKs has been egregious. Defenses are just not adjusting to stricter calls.

Hachiko repped this.
  20. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Guys like Minda on Chivas should get a red card every game for multiple yellows. All these red cards are very good news. I want more red cards for double yellow, as I see that almost every game. And I watch virtually every game. Minda is not alone. Looking at you Zack Scott and virtually every defender in Houston.
    We need more skilled destroyers like Laba and Charra who destroy without breaking legs and persistent infringement

So by all means pull out the reds and yellows. And I think its going to get even more strict with guys like Kaka and Villa coming in. Maybe if we see enough. 9 v 9 at the end of games coaches and management will realize that MLS 1.0 is officially over and they will create rosters accordingly

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm not going to go back through the whole season ... but I'll bump this thread from time to time ... This week already the one on Viana was soft. The one just now on Gordon was completely imagined. Both are basically minimum contact resulting in a player going airborne dramatically and the ref making the call that encourages more and more dives.

22. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Okay, it's waste of time discussing this. If you think those are weak, I don't know what to say.

Maybe watch MMA instead of soccer?

23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Gordon didn't even get a red card, not sure what you're talking about.

24. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

profiled repped this.
  25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Got distracted by the PKs. Was having a PK discussion in another thread ... Both seem more frequent this year than the past ...