Tom Sermanni Names 29 Player Camp Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by ForeverLOST108, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    well, she decided college wasn't right for her when she was looking at spending her freshman year sitting out as a partial qualifier . . . (or "prop 48" case)

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explain, please?

3. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    my understanding is that Horan didn't make the clearinghouse requirements for initial eligibility, obviously that information is hearsay . . . but it made sense with the late notice she was going to PSG coming after her last chance to get a better test score.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to put speculation about a person's academic business out there. Best be double sure of your source b/c otherwise you'll look kinda like an ahole.

The current manager of PSG wasn't hired until late summer. Just before the time Horan was offered a contract and signed. New manager signed with PSG and then in turn moves to recruit a batch of new players, including Horan. Who had trained with OL & Benstiti had contacts with OL to get the goods on her (positively reviewed) time there.

CANAmerican repped this.
  5. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    And heaven forbid people chose a different route then college. Ask Bill Gates how that worked out for him.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Kobe is a perfect example. Is Kobe excited to be asked to play in a junior basketball tournament while he playing for the Lakers or does he hey, I'm a pro... I'm playing in the men's league why should I go back to playing with guys my own age?

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Gates went to Harvard. He just didnt finish.

newsouth jr repped this.
  8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in terms of FIBA youth competition because USA Basketball operates their men's teams a bit differently than USSF operates theirs.

9. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WTH does Alyssa Naeher have to do to get in the squad? Still no Becky Edwards, Hagen nor Tine DiMartino.

10. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arod play multiple positions, so why do you believe if she not playing as a striker she doesn't make the team?

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    U said Horan was taking a different path and mentioned Garnett and Kobe.

12. newsouth jr

newsouth jr Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Which position would Arod not have at least a few players ahead of her in the pecking order? And don't say something ridiculous like DM.

13. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Exactly my point. College isn't for everyone. Statistics show that it can boost your future prospects. But it isn't necessary.

14. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This past year, even HAO had trouble getting real minutes. The wings will get very jammed up soon with Mewis, Rapinoe, HAO, Heath, Dunn, etc. Sure, she has a chance of making the team as a winger if she can't make it as a forward, but she sure has her work cut out for her.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I agree but he went and decided he was wasting his time. Also, anyone who can get into Harvard isnt gonna have a problem supporting himself.

The biggest problem with what Horan did is there is no money in women's pro soccer. It's not like the big male sports where if u can play 10 years at a high level u'll be set for life. Even if she has a nice career she'll be looking for a job in her early 30s.

16. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arod plays as a striker, winger, outside mid and can play as the DM/holding mid or Box to Box CM. Arod is just like Matheson from Canada who plays multiple positions 6 in all.

17. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    And my point is that it is none of our business to judge how to she chooses to build her career or future. If she was entirely serious about her future or any of these women were, then none of them would aspire to be pro soccer players. Only a handful of women make any real money at it.

The debate over whether she helped or hurt her cause of getting onto the USWNT by skipping college seems appropriate for the forum, but debating on whether she made the best choice for her overall future job or earning potential is a bit unseemly.

Katreus repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, u may be right about that.

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether it's a good idea for young athletes to skip college in order to turn professional in their sport is a legitimate and important topic worthy of substantial public discussion.

20. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry but no, A-Rod is not a CM.

21. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Then I suppose so is questioning Julie Johnston's weight, since fitness directly relates to her playing ability.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Necron99 is right because the topic, while it deserves to be discussed in general terms, it is important after all, is impossible to discuss that way. If I say high school soccer players should go to college it's pretty obvious who Im talking about. Beacause Horan has been made the poster child for this she also unfairly gets her personal decisions dragged thru a public forum. If there were a few of them grouped together it would be an easier topic to discuss.

23. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why are you sorry? Have you watched Arod when she was with Paul Riley? The forwards and mids were interchanging throught their matches. She can play CM or DM she has those qualities. She one of the best defending players on the team.

24. harold.kwok@comcast.

Oct 2, 2007
    USA

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, um, performing independent scholarly visual research on somebody's bikini vacation. Off to scrutinize the evidence again!

:D