Tom Sermanni Names 29 Player Camp Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by ForeverLOST108, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    I agree as it doesn't come down to a competition between those two and my response was to the post indicating that JJ had an edge.

Not going to get into comparing the Youth Female award to the four POY awards won by Dunn this year.

2. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the bronze ball of course. Basically, the two split the honors international and college.

Anyway, the two aren't in competition directly since they both project to different positions although I think college is going to have an effect (i.e. Dunn still needs to go to college and won't be as available and might not even be playing outside back next year, Johnson's already graduated and we need a heir apparent to Boxx more than outside backs atm). Hope both of them have a good showing though.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Johnston is a junior at Santa Clara. U may be thinking of Kendall Johnson who graduated early from Portland and went to SBFC.

4. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, my mistake! Well then, both of them will be affected a bit by that. Speaking of K. Johnson, I hope she and Levin are called in for one of the camps this year to see what they've got.

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I hope Levin and Hagen get called in. Im less worried about players in the league. Im sure Sermanni, unlike Pia, will use the league as a resource. Johnson playing left back for SB will give him a good idea if she belongs in camp.

6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Bywaters just got called up to camp. No official news from US Soccer as of yet but Bywaters announced it on her Twitter.

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 11.30.13 AM.png

7. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    ^^^
    Good for her!

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if she is replacing someone or just an additional call up.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I wonder if she slots into the second camp. U have to figure some of players like Press, Averbuck and Engen might only be available for part of the camp because of their other commitments. It might be that a second wave of players replace them in camp. I have it in the back of my head that Mewis said she wasnt going until Feb 12.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    U mean for example if Amy Rodriguez was pregnant? What r the odds of that?

11. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'd expect we won't see A-Rod for a long time, if ever.

12. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A-rod preggers? I guess that's the end of her soccer career...

13. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    is this is a rumor?? Arod has had a great career; two golds, one silver wc....

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Seattle has confirmed it.

So the official Reign MIA report reads like this:
    Megan Rapinoe...somewhere in France...back in June?
    Amy Rodriguez...having baby....out at least the year?
    Teresa Noyola...somewhere in Denmark...back in June?

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I know you've heard rumors, but I am not the father of her unborn child.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had not seen a report that she was pregnant. Congratulations to ARod and her family.
    I disagree--unless that's what ARod wants. In fact, this year is probably the ideal time for a USWNT player in her age bracket to have a child. Players have sufficient time to have the baby, get back in shape, find a team, and prove to the coach that they're in form enough to get a camp call or two before the real meat of the cycle. I expected at least one or two pregnancies this year.

17. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I can see HAO getting pregnant this year as well. However, I do think this is likely the end of her national team career. She already had her work cut out for her to prove to Sermanni she deserves that #4 striker spot against Press, within a year that can be between Press, Horan, Hagen, Ohai, etc. and I don't think she'll be able to make her case to be a permanent member of the team again.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, maybe not. Maybe she's able to make a better conversion to a different position in the next two years. Maybe she isn't. But to just assume that because fans don't think highly of her USWNT forward play that Sermanni feels the same way is short sighted. Doesn't Sermanni have a history of liking the speedsters that hang on the last defender's shoulder? I think he does.

And the initial post was that her soccer career, not her USWNT career, was over. And, please let no poster mistake my saying her career (USWNT or otherwise) isn't over as being my saying I believe she's a better player than [insert young forward here] or [insert Olympic alternate forward here]. Because that's not what I'm saying at all.

19. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I'm with you. Female athletes have kids and continue with their sporting careers all the time. The insinuation that a player's career is over is after a pregnancy is one of the dumbest things I've seen typed on here in a minute. Now, ARod's life maybe over ;) but she can still get back into shape and play the game, if she chooses to.

20. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I think her chances of rejoining the USWNT in the future (not simply camp call ups) may be shaky. It's not simply a matter of evaluating her level of performance as subjective onlookers. It's the fact that there is serious competition at forward and on the wing just to be on the roster for the next cycle. In order for A-Rod to have a chance again she may need to prove herself in the NWSL or another league. Because essentially A-Rod would have to bump someone else out of a roster spot if and when she returns. Unless the upstarts are struggling that window may not be there. And there are plenty of upstarts vying for these spots. Sermanni's not going to be playing them just to keep A-Rod's seat warm until she comes back. And let's face it she doesn't have the value that Fawcett and Rampone had when they had children and later resumed playing.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was always going to be the case. And that's my point: her pregnancy has not altered her USWNT future to the negative. It was always going to be a challenge--just like it's going to be a challenge for every other player.

ForeverLOST108 and Morris20 repped this.
  22. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Not quite like every other player. For her yes. But not everyone is at the same place on the invisible depth chart. Some are on the margins and others much less so. And I do believe that mountain got steeper with her pregnancy even if she was already looking marginal. It seemed you were pitching a more optimistic tenor for her in that regard. There is a fundamental difference between trying to keep your place on a team and trying to win a place back on a team. Whatever the odds were they just got longer in my opinion. I do wish her and her family the best though.

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    again, you're looking at this from a pia perspective. what if a-rod's game responds to sermanni the way it did to riley in philly? i think he likes the little compact, fast forwards, as in devanna. the same could go for press, who isn't a direct, catch it on the run forward like sydney and morgan, so she probably didn't fit with pia. edwards was considered to soft in the defensive mid-field for pia, so she was out the loop with pia.

Press, Horan, Hagen, Ohai ?

Ohai just had an ok U20 tournament. I wouldn't put her in the same breathe with Press and Hagen. I'm not sure Horan is any better than Hayes. Outside of signing with a France club, what has she actually done vs Press' credentials in the WPS and Sweden? Dunn is better than those two by a long shot.

if this guy employs 3 forwards, then he needs 5, so I'd still have a-rod in my top 5 until Hagen (Wambach clone), Henderson (MIA since college) , and Hayes (MIA in the u20 WC) prove otherwise. Ohai, if she ever makes it, reminds me of a Heather Mitts type reserve, definitely not an elite forward or mid-fielder. That's about it.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well I dont think Ohai is ready either. I just dont think her ball handling skills r ready for prime time BUT to say she had an "ok U20 tournament" is way off the mark. The US scored 9 goals total in the tournament. Ohai scored two and assisted on two others. That's pretty good production. She also defended like mad the length of the field. I thought she had a great U20 WWC.

25. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely agree Ohai isn't ready now. But I mentioned her above because it'll be some time before we see A-Rod playing again at a high level (who knows how far along she is after all). Within a year, who knows where Ohai will be. Who knows where Horan, Hagen, or Henderson will be. What I believe, though, is that this will make it increasingly more difficult for A-Rod to try and retain a spot on the national team. I highly doubt we'll never see her again and expect her to play professionally but I only meant that her national team days ahead may be limited.