to late/old!?

Discussion in 'Player' started by hegs, Feb 9, 2014.

1. hegs

hegs New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So when I was 16 i started soccer I played 2 years I then stopped at 18 and a half and played Rugby league(from Australia) , AM now 24, I moved away to go to school.

So my questions.

I have a self maintained job, so I can put in long hours to soccer again.

Ive moved back to my home town, and waiting to start playing again, Im abit discouraged as its been so long and I wont know any players.

I feel as if I may off missed the boat to make Amateur league, or semi-pro, but im sure there is a chance I still can?

From my rugby back ground very versatile on my feet, I can run 100 meters in 11-13 seconds ( ran for my home state at 17)

Also have good aerobics skills, but as stated I have been gone so long from the game it may be hard

Any suggestions thank!

2. OishiiUdon

OishiiUdon Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I honestly have no idea about Australian soccer and even less about opportunities in that country, but I think it's never too late for amateur or semi-professional teams.

However, if you want to go for it you need to build some self-esteem and believe you can do it. If you don't think you can, you simply won't make it.
    Start training as soon as possible and see how you feel.
    It's good to ask people for suggestions, but not so good for opinions, as the answer you are looking for should come from yourself, not others.
    It'd be great if someone here knew better about Australian soccer to give accurate feedback, but don't wait for that to happen and start taking action.

Believe you can and you are halfway there.

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Have a ball find a wall and use your imagination.

Put all the free time that you have an have a ball at your feet.

Check out the amature league some are way better then others in every country.

Then try out for one and see how you do. Then see how far you can move up from there

4. hegs

hegs New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I train 5 hours + a day at the moment, my foot work is coming back o so quick right now

Thank for the words, but playing for a team Ive never played for is the hardest part as I know on one.

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Once they see you can play and can help their team win. They will all want to be your friends. You never have enough friends man.

I am down to just two men friends left I have known both for over 65 years. That is what happens when you get old. But I am starting to make some new ones even at my age. The good news is most of them are women :)

6. Rover_Dave

Rover_Dave Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Try not to let that bother you. I left a team, most of whom were my mates to join a team where i knew no one. Firstly i used that to my advantage, as it made me work twice as hard during the first few training sessions in order to impress, which paid off with a starting place.
    Secondly, i made some good friends there as well over the following seasons.

7. hegs

hegs New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thank for your support, say if i was good enough.. possible to make it past semi-pro leagues?

8. Elbullio

Elbullio Member

Dec 24, 2010
    I dont want to shatter your dreams or anything, but you wont reach semi-pro level.

You say you only played for two years, which is not nearly enough to get the basics right in football.
    If you want to improve as a player, you need to start play as much as possible, working on your technique with the ball. As of now, your nervous system is completely wired to rugby and athletics, and is going to require a LOT of effort getting your body and mind used to playing football again. You might have fast feet or run very fast, but if you lack the basics, then you wont stand a chance on any level.

Coevers 1000 touch daily routine is the way to go. Aside from that, scout the parks and play sunday pickup games to see how you measure up to the average player.

9. hegs

hegs New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Appreciate your honesty, I do believe its possible, with some hard work anything is possible .

In Australia its alot different theres usually scouts every where. I know a guy whos 32 who is about to sign and move to the UK.

10. Rover_Dave

Rover_Dave Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know the standard over there or what level you are at. Basically i would get playing for a team and see how you get on to start with.

Anything is possible, it might take alot of hard work but if you put in maximum effort, you never know where you will end up.

11. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am a little confused if you Know the answer why are you asking the question?

12. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #12 rca2, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    I think he asked for suggestions on what he should do to reach his goal. My response is "Don't quit" just because someone says you are "too small," too old," "too short," "too slow," or "too" anything else. It takes more than "a little" hard work. In order to be better than everyone else, you will need to work harder than everyone else. It also takes mental determination to persevere.

13. hegs

hegs New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well I made the reserve team, one step from the premier team (amateur league), got all year to make it :D

14. OishiiUdon

OishiiUdon Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Congrats!!! please keep us informed! good luck and do your best ;)

15. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play as much as you can... pickup sessions, amateur leagues, whatever. You'll be exposed to different situations and will learn. You'll also learn by observing what other players do in various situations.

16. Rover_Dave

Rover_Dave Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great effort. Don't slack off now. Put the graft and effort in and hopefully it will pay off with a first team call up.

17. airbornerocks

airbornerocks Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say never give up on your dreams but be realistic. I gave up on my dreams of becoming a pro, its never going to happen for me. I just started loving the game too late in life to become somebody with it. But my goal now is to get a fitness degree or something with Sport and Exercise science and become a fitness trainer for a pro team or a national team.

18. hegs

hegs New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid

How old are you airbornerocks?

19. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Posters here are talking about field players, but if you are a keeper it is a bit different. Keepers peak about 5 years later than field players and play about 5 years longer too.

20. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Most important part is to have fun. I think you will just fine, as long as you know what your role is and play that role well. I.E, if you are a fullback, defend, but overlap when there is room. More than knowing individual players on your team, I think you should focus more on playing your position the way it should be played. If you do that, you will make quick friends, and they will be more welcoming. Soccer is a global game, and I have been in situations where we can't even communicate with one another because I don't understand them or they don't understand me, but once the manager tells me the formation and my position, we all just play without saying a word sometimes.

21. airbornerocks

airbornerocks Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am 17 man

22. hegs

hegs New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have secured my spot as striker :), played my first game during the weekend a full 90 minutes :)

lil_one and rca2 repped this.
  23. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Congratulations. Keep up the hard work.

24. Brad Parisien

Brad Parisien New Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't want to give you false encouragement so I would say at 24 it is a little late if you aren't already at the skill level to be recruited. It's never to late to play football though. You should never give up on your dreams because of what someone else says. "Look up to the legends until you look them in the eye":)

25. Vaporism

Vaporism Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd say it's too late for pro. I was in the same boat but tried at about 19yrs old and got nowhere (from Adelaide, Australia). I trialled for a top semi-pro reserve side here and even trialled really well but got rejected. I feel it was a biased rejection as all the players in that club were Greek/Italian and I am blonde haired and English and not a part of that culture (club was founded by Greek I think). After that I just got discouraged and was sick of not playing regular football so played amateur for a shitty side and just lost passion and now skipped this season.

You could still get into semi-pro if you are really good but most of the sides will be looking for young talent. You can definitely play amateur tho (and some times get paid).

Good luck.