Title race (R)

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by The Potter, Apr 2, 2006.

1. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    :( :(

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Did Fergie rest afew players tonight?
    didnt seem to be their full lineup.
    guess he just expected to roll over sunderland.
    arrogant mistake .

3. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004

Kelvin Davis played out of his skin, to be fair to United. Still though, it's a shock result, but it will give the Sunderland players something to remember.

4. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    It seemed very close to a full-strength line-up to me. All of the big attacking players were there.

And even if Fergie had fielded a significantly weakened team, it'd be ridiculous to call him arrogant for it. Sunderland are going to break their own records for being the worst Premiership team ever. Their odds of winning this game were the longest ever given by bookmakers in a Premiership match. Fergie should have been able to win this game with a weakened team. It was just a freak result.

5. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Man U has to play Spurs on Monday. They have little time to rest. So a weakened team was a good idea. Especially considering Sunderland is a horrible team without one of their good players Arca.

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    but the team wasn't really weakened at all. Only Silvestre and Vidic didn't start.

7. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So it was his strongest side then ...

8. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Vidic has been nothing but incredible, I don't know what your talking about. And Silvestre, as much as I don't like him, has shown he's better than Evra.

9. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Chelsea 9 points clear with 4 games to go, It's basicly all over and can confirm it on Monday if Man Utd don't beat us and Chelsea beat Everton.

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No, I don't suppose you do, if you think a journeyman stopper like Vidic is "incredible".

So's my cat.

11. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Vidic has been a rock in the Man Utd back four ever since he filled in for Wes Brown. How many goals had Man Utd allowed with Vidic in the starting XI? 2 in 5 matches

Well thank you for just stating that Silvestre is better than Evra, therefore coming to the realisation that United didn't field their best squad.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Arf ... I suppose you should be forgiven your kooky views - you are having to use Wes Brown as a benchmark for this discussion.

That small, rapidly receding speck on the horizon behind you there, that's my point.

13. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    If you think Wes Brown hasn't been in good form this season than you probably havent seen enough Man United games. Can't blame you for that though seeing as who you support. Any ways, this thread is about the title race...a title race that no longer exists. I'm still confident that we've got 2nd place though.

14. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    ouch:D

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    In fairness though Matt, and I'm far from in the 'Brown to start for England' camp, he has been our best defender this year... and our backline has played very well, considering there is practically no midfield to speak of in front of them. This season there are only a handful of CBs who have been better than Brown for my money.

Also, Vidic has been superb. He is far from a 'journeyman' and is the perfect parntner for Rio, since he can actually deal with the physical end of the game (And very, very well too). He is not just a big oaf either, as he hcan read the game very well and positions himself well. There is a reason Serbia & Montenegro only conceeded one goal with him on the team in WC qualifying.

Between Brown (if he continues to play liek he has doen this year) & Vidic, I think we have two very good options to play alongside Rio, and if Gabby is the same as he was before his injury by next season, then I think we have a backline to challenge pretty much any in Europe.

16. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Man U beat Tottenham so Arsenal can get past them into 4th place. Otherwise Henry will be heading to Spain.

17. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    I hope Man Utd beat Tottenham so that we remain well cushioned in 2nd place.

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    you guys will have the 2nd. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

19. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    We are looking quite secure now, but it's still not definite. If we take 2+ points from our games with you & Spurs on Monday I will be good as definite that we will finish 2nd. If we only manage 1 or 0 points we still should, but it will be a lot tighter.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    if you guys beat Spurs and we beat Everton, we'd still need a draw from our remaining 3 games to "officially" clinch the title, as you guys might score 15 times in the next few games. As for Liverpool, i just don't see them catching you guys, although theoretically speaking, anything is possible.
    Btw, your draw yesterday is fuly credited to Davis, as he played a match of his life.

21. chelski72

chelski72 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Lahndon UK, innit
    what makes you think Henry will be staying at Arsenal even if they win the CL ?

Surely if they win it he'll have nothing left to win with them. Whilst if they don't, he'll have a good excuse to sign off.

Seems to me that arse are fcuked however you skin it.

22. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Well come on now, comparing any player to the amazing footballing genius that is your cat is unfair.

23. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    Except that that empty spot in his trophy cabinet is the most likely factor that would make him leave Arsenal and his mentor Wenger. If he just wanted more money or to play for a 'bigger' club abroad he would have moved years ago.

If he wins it with Arsenal, a big motivation to leave goes away.

I don't think it would really be an excuse - he'd be going precisely because he thinks he has a better shot at the trophy elsewhere.

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    but where would he have a better shot? everyone knows that 5th place EPL teams kick ass in the champions' league.

25. chelski72

chelski72 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Lahndon UK, innit
    How about the notion that he's been at Arsenal for so many years that he fancies a change ? He knows that time is running out and if he was going to do it, he's in his peak years right now.

And that's not an excuse ? Okay...