Title race (R)

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by The Potter, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was watching "Through the Nite" last night. While I don't really know him, he gave me something to think about. Paul Merson is predicting Utd. to win the league. He quotes the stumbling blocks of Bolton and B'burn for Chelsea, but he also mentioned that they go to Newcastle for the last game of the year. That is Shearer's last game. It's at home. Feels that anybody that thinks that Chelski will get out of there with an easy win need to think again. He thinks Utd. will only drop 2 (Arse) and feels that Utd will go into the Bridge and take 3.

2. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, so he's saying precisely what everyone else who's stoking up this "title race" is. In theory, Chelsea could drop more points than United and in theory, assuming United win at the Bridge and Alan Shearer has a devastating game in his last professional outing ( :rolleyes: ), then perhaps there's a chase on.

What I want to see is one of these pundits come out and say "Actually - you know what? This is all bollocks. Sure, Chelsea could drop points between now and the end of the season and that might - just might - actually make this interesting. But United are just as likely to stuff up somewhere and render the entire debate academic."

But that would render their value as members of the punditocracy a moot point and so none of them will. There's a bandwagon in town and no self-respecting ex-pro is going to be refusing their place on it.

United might win the league. Whilst it's mathematically possible, no one who's been watching English football for more than three minutes should discount the possibility. But the balance of probabilities remains very firmly with Chelsea.

3. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    To me this new title race is more about next year. If ManU can finish 6 points or less to Chelsea, thats only 2 more wins ManU needs -- They could easily have 4-5 more points in the bag right now. Considering what a rough and tumble year ManU had (for them at least) if they can get it together over the summer, get Gabe back to full health, bring in some new talent -- and badabing you got a season long title race against the Chels.

ManU get blown out by 14 points its a whole different pov of what you do over the summer and how much confidence you have in Fergie, etc. to get it done.

I'm a nuetral on both clubs, and would like to see it come close just for entertainment value.

4. Hat Trick

Hat Trick New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I agree with the rest of this season setting up next year. I have a hard time seeing Man U catch Chelsea this year. Quick question...what place would a team (Wigan) have to finish to get a UEFA Cup spot? I can't find this information anywhere. Thanks.

5. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

6th..

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    I think if Boro win the UEFA Cup and get to the FA Cup final then 7th will also qualify.

7. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    I believe that's true. Has any club won the Uefa Cup and finished outside of the top ten in league play?

8. olegunnars20

olegunnars20 New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Dumfries, VA

i think manchester mite pull it off..if they can beat arsenal tomorrow at old trafford..then find a way to pull off a victory at stamford bridge..i think they are good..chelsea still got a few decent teams left like blackburn and newcastle AWAY..everton home, bolton away, and west ham home...if this was chelsea last year id say it was over..but with the way they been playin..barely beatin or tying or losin to teams that they normally blow out..htey just dont look good..so if manchester beats them...blackburn and newcastle away (although both teams arent as strong as usually) they can still mess up and manchester could steal it..so with that bein said GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED, GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED, GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED AND THE REDS GO MARCHING ON ON ON ON ;)

9. olegunnars20

olegunnars20 New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Dumfries, VA

its nice to know that chelsea fans like to make excuses..fact is chelsea dominance will be done within the next few years.....and if they dont wake up and start playing they may seee it end this year.....

10. olegunnars20

olegunnars20 New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Dumfries, VA

it must be nice to dream :)

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    i hope you are joking.

12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like you and dreams involving the Mancaneers winning the Prem anytime soon?

13. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Villa won the 82 European Cup and finished 11th.
    The closest an English side has come with the UEFA Cup I think is Spurs in 84 finishing 8th.

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Newcastle won the UEFA cup in '69 and finished 12th the next year.

15. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    With Chelski's win today, they are 10 points up with Manure with a game in hand against the Arse, so they HAVE to win to get it back to 7 points, and then HAVE to win at Chelski to even think about a title race with four games to go.

I'm sorry folks.....there is no title race (especially if the Arse f#@k it all up today at Old Trafford with a draw). :cool:

16. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Man Utd have to win to stand any chance whatsoever (if there is any chance) of winning the title.

17. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Gotta agree. If Chelsea were going to choke they would of done so today.

18. alincoln

alincoln New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Best "realistic" scenario for a competitive run-in

4/14 - ManU beats Sunderland at OT - 78 points
    4/15 - Chelsea draws Bolton at Reebok - 83 points
    4/17 - ManU beats Spurs at WHL - 81 points
    4/17 - Chelsea beats Everton at SB - 86 points
    4/23 - ManU beats Boro at OT - 84 points
    4/29 - ManU beats Chelsea at SB - ManU 87 points; Chelsea 86 points

Post SB fixtures:

5/2 - Blackburn v. Chelsea at EP
    5/7 - ManU v. Charlton at OT
    5/7 - Newcaslte v. Chelsea at SJP

A draw and a win for Chelsea in the last two games coupled with a ManU win against Charlton would bring both teams to 90 points and the title would be settled on GD which Chelsea currently leads by 8.

Bottom Line:

Even if EVERYTHING goes United's way over the next month (Win last 5 while Chelsea wins 2, draws 2, and loses 1), United would still likely get pipped at the line on GD.

United really needs Chelsea to lose another game in addition to the head to head, which although unlikely is not impossible given their fixture list.

19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ManUtd could really chop at that goal difference by beating Chelsea by more than one goal.
    It's all "ifs", of course. I can't see the Blues throwing the lead away.

20. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Chels and ManU have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the season. Earlier in the year I'd have given Bolton a shot to beat Chelsea but they have really taken a plunge in form, 10 points out from 4th as of today.

ManU will have a very tough time getting all the points at Spurs, we have only lost once at home this season against Chelsea with 10 men, and we're in good form at the moment.

The best I can see ManU doing is winning all their matches, including against Chelsea and losing the race by 3-4 points.

Like I said earlier, if they lose the title race by 6 points or less, thats respectable everything considered, and sets them up well for a closer battle or an actual title battle next season.

21. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Fairs Cup actually, if you want to get technical. The UEFA Cup wasn't introduced until 1971. Any guesses as to what nation the two finalists in the inaugral season were from?

22. nazzo

nazzo Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Still hope for United!!! :)

Arsenal down Chelsea to go.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    spurs/wolves - but that's not a guess, now, is it? ;)

24. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    TBH I highly doubt we can win the league this year, but with the incredible amount of injuries, the Roy Keane and European debacle, death of Best (yes, that DOES have an effect on the club) and the fact we were playing an AWFUL formation in the 4-5-1 for the first good chunk of the season... I will be incredibly proud of the team. It was pointed out that we are on our best domestic for since 2000. In 2000 we had Yorke/Cole up front, the world's best sub (Ole) still fit, the Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckham midfield at their best, and Yip Jaap Stam at the back. We're in this form with Giggs/O'Shea as our starting CM, Silvestre on the pitch (he was quality today, mind you) and no real 'captain' per se, as Gary isn't exactly Roy in the leadership department.

25. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No...