Title race (R)

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by The Potter, Apr 2, 2006.

1. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is the title race on? Seven point gap, six games left, Chelsea vs Man U still to come.

I still think Chelsea will still win the title with a game or two to spare but it's squeaky bum time.

2. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    It's nice that it's at least interesting now, especially after Chelsea wrapped up the title so early last year and have been the clear frontrunners this season.

Of course, I don't think Man U will catch them, but I hope they make a good run for it.

3. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It makes it interesting now i suppose, Chelsea are still favourites but United have the momentum, Chelsea aren't playing well and you never give United a sniff at the title. Going to be close but i still think Chelsea will win it.

4. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You mean Mourinho's prediction that the Premiership will be their's by April 9 is WRONG?! :eek: :p

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Chelsea would need to lose more than a point a game on the rags for Ferguson's usual lame attempts at "pressure" to bear fruit - which is unlikely to happen.

That said, if United win at the Bridge ...

6. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    7 points, 6 games. if United win out, that's 18 points, and Chelsea would need 11 to tie and 12 to win.

if United win out, that includes a Chelsea loss and means they have to get the 11 or 12 points in only five games, i.e., three wins and two ties or four wins in five games. all doable, but actually close enough to make it interesting.

of course, the premise is that United must win out. if United lose even one, and particularly if it is to Chelsea, the suddenly growing interest immediately evaporates....

7. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, I'm not even sure if there is that much "growing interest" outside of a media that is desperate for some semblance of a title race between now and mid-May.

8. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    There's more of a title race then there is a race for 2nd place now.

9. KillerBaboon

KillerBaboon New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    that's true. there's 7 between chelsea and united and 8 between united and liverpool. psychology could be a lot of it now. united can see the title on the horizon for the first time in ages; of course the flipside to that is chelsea feel the squeeze of pressure for the first time in a long time and all the media coverage of it might give them the kick up the arse they needed against fulham and birmingham.

don't forget, the idea of not winning the title is alien to mourinho... and likely to put his job under serious pressure - abramovich is already beginning to dislike him. he's not gonna make it easy.

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :rolleyes:

Are we going to revise this with each new result between now and the end of the season?

Reality is that there's little going on in either context.

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    This is a public relations project by Chelsea. People have started complaining the title race is too boring, so we're doing our best to put some excitement back into the Premiership.
    You're all welcome.

12. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chelsea and public relations?????? You're talking nonesense Nice.

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Peter Kenyon thinks "public relations" is banging his favourite call girl in one of the glass-fronted executive boxes at the Bridge.

14. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    She used to be Fat Freddy's call girl until Chelsea made her a better offer.

15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Although they only did that so no other club could have her. And they paid well over the odds.

16. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to quote the Bard, " A plague on both your houses".

It does make the game at Chelsea more interesting. I suspect that Chelsea will rise to the occasion and win 1-0 on a controversial goal.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Kenyon only keeps her so that he can eat her children, actually. Thought I'd tip you off before the media found some way to twist that story.

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nah, that's common knowledge. Everyone knows the only reason he moved from United to Chelsea is because Cockney children taste nicer than Manc ones. Better gooey/crunchy ratio, apparently.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I'd watch out if I were you though. I hear he wants to go up North - he's heard good things about Liverpudlian babies after reading some Johnathan Swift.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I want us to win the title at home against the Mancs. That would be sweet.

21. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    And I want us to take the title away from you guys at the Bridge ;).

22. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't forget that Chelsea still have to go to Bolton and B'burn. Two tough nuts to crack at home. United's toughest remaining match looks like the Arse this weekend. Advantage still Chelsea, and I'm not betting otherwise, but it'll make the end of the season a heck of a lot of fun!

23. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the remaining schedules...

Chelsea 79 pts, +41 gd - v. West Ham, @ Bolton, v. Everton, v. ManU, @ Blackburn, @ Newcastle

Man United 72 pts, +34 gd - v. Arsenal, v. Sunderland, @ Tottenham, v. Boro, @ Chelsea, v. Charlton

The way that Bolton plays at home, it would not be unreasable for Chelsea to drop 2 or even 3 points at Bolton. If that happens (suppose they drop 2) and ManU takes full points off their next 4 games leading up to Chelsea, then the standings would look like this:

Chelsea - 86 pts with 35 gms played
    Man United - 84 pts with 36 gms played

Then that Chelsea v. ManU game takes on a whole lot of drama. ManU would come out at least temporarily leading the table with a win. Then the pressure is really going to be on Chelsea with that road game at Blackburn. If they are still hot at that point, it could get dicey.

Having said that, saying "ManU takes full points in their next 4 games" is quite a large task. They have to play Arsenal at home (Arsenal is almost ALWAYS a good game and right now Arsenal are battling for the Champions League life) and then they have to travel to Tottenham and saying they've been tough to beat at home is a pretty big understatement. A loss to either of them or a draw to both probably ends the title drama before they even get to the Bridge.

24. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, at least there's discussion about it now. Didn't anticipate this a month or so ago.
    I honestly don't care for either side, but given the way things are going in the other major leagues across Europe I'll take any kind of title race that's available. :cool:

25. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The thing to remember is that Chelsea are playing well within themselves at the moment, if not exactly by design. United, by contrast, are about as good as they're ever going to get with that squad. So everyone's frothy excitement about a "title race" is based on the unspoken assumption that the remainder of the season will see Chelsea fail to respond in any way to their position being under threat and United continuing to play at their current high level for every minute of their remaining games. Both big if's.

Bottom line? Chelsea can afford to slip up to the tune of a point a game. United can't afford to drop a point between now and the end of the season.