Tips for doing lone center at U-littles

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Barciur, Oct 9, 2012.

1. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sure our instructions for U8 and U10 included no red cards - just take any offenders over to the coach for instruction. HOWEVER, nothing was in the rules, so I emailed our referee coordinator. o_O

2. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence why I said do either, whichever puts you in a better position. Obviously if the ball is no where near either, or if there is clearly no chance at offside, then you reevaluate your position.

And I would expect many referees to be able to cover 90% of the field in a U10 game with little difficulty. Doing multiple is harder but as I said in my third point just do your best. My advice, like most of the advice on this forum won't work for everyone all of the time. Do what works for you. This is what works for me.

3. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    A lot covered, so apologies if I repeat anything:

1. I still try to run a diagonal. Obviously, it gets modified some as I need to cover the area that I would typically leave to the ARs, but it's good for training generally and it provides more perspective for the offside call to be looking from an angle and not straight on.

2. Unless you have to blow quickly in order to avoid a GK collision, always take a second to scan the field to make sure you haven't missed a defender. You know, the one standing in the corner picking a daisy or tying a shoe.

3. You'll know within a couple of minutes who the stronger (and weaker) players are. I may get some flack for this, but make sure you are extra certain if you're going to call an offside on a ball that sends one of those weaker players through for what might be his first goal of the season. Not saying don't call it if it needs to be called, but you won't/can't have the best angle, so just make sure as you can.

4. Accept that you can't get them all right. This is true in any game, and even more so when you're running solo. The main thing is to make sure that no one gets hurt.

5. Have fun. And let everyone know it. Fun is infectious, and the players will pick up on it.

6. As already noted, know your league rules for cards/discipline. And, be prepared to inform the coaches who you may need to help you if they don't know. Speaking to the coach and not showing a card is not uncommon, and perhaps more the standard.

7. I could see a GK take down on a breakaway in addition to the DOGSO-H as somewhat likely to occur during a season. I would think a PK would be sufficient at this level, so, again, know your league rules for how to handle, or ask them to address it if they haven't. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that leagues haven't decided at what age they begin to enforce DOGSO and that refs are doing it or ignoring it as they choose.

Rufusabc repped this.
  4. BlackBart

BlackBart Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I haven't read all the comments so may be repeating some.

First, relax and have fun!

Next, set some ground rules. Gather all the players and announce: you're only calling offside when you are sure of it. Today is not a good day to run the offside trap. (If the players are old enough to understand that.) Being a little offside at these ages won't make much of a difference.

Next, players are on the honor system for close plays when the ball goes over a touch line or goal line both for the ball going out and possession. This is what they do in practice every day. If the ball is close to the touch line but in your opinion not out, tell the players loudly "Keep going. Keep going." Ask the coaches for help making calls too. When you've asked them for help they won't take advantage.

For plays when you have to make a call but aren't really sure, announce "That's the best I could see." They might want to argue with you, but recognize you did your best.

Recognize that most of the calls you make won't make a difference in the game, except for PK calls. PK calls tend to be obvious and really don't happen that often.

Smile a lot. Crack a few jokes. Talk to the players and parents and coaches. Once they are on your side the game is easier. If you think you made a mistake, ask "Did I miss that one"? If you get a yes, say "Dang! My first mistake of the day". I'll ask parents if I can sit in a vacant chair. If I see a cooler and no kids are around, I'll ask what's in the cooler. But use tactics and lines that match your personality.

Stop play quickly for injuries and "injuries". Call coaches on quickly. While we want players to play thru the bumps, players will learn that more on their own than thru the referee not stopping play. Go over and talk to the player who knocked down the player and ask if they are OK. The parents of the player who was knocked down will think you are chewing out that kid :)

5. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I wonder if that's my problem. I never have fun doing U-littles and always get stressed.. never relaxed.

I think all of your advice will help me though so I appreciate each and every one of you posting here. We'll see how it goes, as I've got assignments for CR U-10 and U-11 in a weeks' time.

Dang, that's smart! I never thought of it. :D

dadman repped this.
  6. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Hah, I got an entire weekend of a U-9 through U-19 tournament of U-9 and U-10 solos. That should be fun.. 10 games in total spread over the 2 days. I guess somebody's gotta do 'em!

7. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I hate to let the cat out of the bag but your 10 centers will pay you more than a couple of centers and a whole bunch of lines.

Barciur repped this.
  8. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    You're actually right.. I calculated that if I did 3 centers for U-13/U-14 and 6 lines for the same age level I'd make $36 less than I get on 10 U-9/U-10 centers.. interesting. Of course I could be getting stuck with 2 centers and 8 lines which would pay a little less. I couldn't do 10 U-14's since they're longer which is why I subtracted one game.

I guess I should be happy then! haha. Another thing is being a center as opposed to doing all those lines helps develop other things that will come in useful later on as well, so it's all part of the development of a young referee.

dadman and SA14mars repped this.
  9. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait til you start doing high school matches. I did a couple tonight in my sleep and made over $30 per hour for 3 hours.

10. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great attitude to have. I don't know if my attention span could bare ten U10s in a weekend. Take advantage of the opportunity to work on the very basics and don't take any game for granted. Remember, It may be a U10 to you, but it's the World Cup for those kids.

The last game I did Sunday was a U19B D2 . Today I have two U10G local rec league playoff games. It's quite a reach as far as management. I just hope the parents are nice tonight. At least the soccer moms are usually more attractive at U10. That's another nice perk.;)

11. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Focus on the humor/fun angle. You should be an expert on Monday.
    Pure genius.
    This may be the best thing I have ever read on BS.
    I do about a dozen U-10s a year and will definitely use this.

12. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    You get paid for what you dream? I gotta get in that league.

13. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    My observations as a referee who is a parent of a current U10 player that I coached at the U8 level:

1. Regardless of how competitive of a league it is, remember at this age it is about having fun, learning the game and most importantly ensuring the safety of the players.

2. As a referee, the most important things I can say fall into two categories: A) the game / game management and B) You as the referee.

A. Game Management: Keep it safe and fair and apply the laws within the spirit of the laws, in manner that instructs, and be cognizant that how you apply them here may differ greatly from how you apply them at a higher level

B. You As the Referee: 1) Set a good example for the kids, the coaches, and the parents; 2) keep yourself engaged in the match; 3) focus on your own positioning and mechanics; and 3) don't think that just b/c it is U10 on a small field that you don't have to put effort into it.

Some examples for Game Management:
    • Watch carefully for the slide tackles and the challenges to the keeper - these are usually where I have seen kids get hurt. There is always some kid who has an older brother or watches EPL with his dad and has to emulate the slide tackles he sees. Likewise there is usually a kid who is so eager to score a goal that he will run aggressively at the ball that the keeper is trying to pick up. Few kids at this age have the skill or training as a keeper to safely and confidently get the ball and move out of the way, so when they drop the ball or flinch because of the impending challenge, recognize the possibility that you could call dangerous play instead of reflexively saying a goal was scored b/c the keeper dropped the ball or threw it in the net as he freed his hands to protect his face (have seen it happen).

• Keep it fair and apply the laws within the spirit that they are intended and not as black and white absolutes. On fairness, did the keeper mentioned above have a fair opportunity to make the play? But in my experience with this level, fairness and the spirit of the game provide you with flexibility in terms of how you also administer the laws - in a 6-0 blow out, are you really going to make a goal line determination from 20 yards away against the team that is down 6 goals? Should you penalize a keeper for picking up a ball that was last played by his or her own teammate? I say no, at this age the kids don't know the passback rule and the whole purpose of the rule was to get rid of time wasting.
    As for you as the referee, always set a good example. Keep yourself engaged in the match - I can always tell when we have a referee who has done too many games that day. If you are going to do more than 2 matches ask yourself if you are really capable of giving the same level of officiating to the players in the 3rd or 4th game as you are to those in the 1st - especially if you don't have a break.

And most importantly and to the OP's question about offside - Positioning, Positioning, Positioning - keep your diagonals. make those lazy S's around the center circle keeping the game between you and your imaginary ARs. You may not be in a direct line with the second to last defender, but you can much more easily judge whether there was an obvious offside or a border line call that may or may not be needed in the match.

Barciur, dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  14. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    I've repeatedly found that at the U10 and U12 level, coaches and parents really appreciate a referee who puts out the effort and runs like it is a full-sided game. Too many referees treat younger games as a time to relax, and their perceived attitude does them no favors. The teams deserve your full attention and effort.

15. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    I watched an EPL game where the ball went through the hands and legs of the keeper into the net. Any game, any level, this can happen. Never assume what is likely to happen.

16. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you say Robert Green?

Doing a CR on a U14G Rec match the other night. Player takes a shot for a steep angle. It looked to me like it went into the side net, so I turned around to prepare for a GK. Suddenly, I hear the spectators start a commotion. When I turn around, I see the ball in the net.o_O Fortunately, my AR went all the way to the goal line. It turned out the ball had hit a defender just inside the post and bounced into the field. I went and checked with her (AR), and she confirmed that the ball never went out of play before the goal, and nothing illegal had happened. Saved my a**:oops:

17. MNpenguin

MNpenguin Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another good example of why we should back-pedal or sidestep away from the PA when recovering from deep play. Seeking to keep as many players and the ball in view while doing so.

18. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since this is a thread for U-littles, I recommend rarely if ever backpedaling. If only because you are much bigger than the players and you don't want to run one over.

19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Disagree. But be careful of speed and be aware of what's behind you. Especially if you don't have ARs, you have to be very conscious of not turning away from where the action is (or might be if unwatched).

20. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Yeah. I usually hand around 20-25 yards out at the most for punts etc. More often than not, U-10's don't kick the ball out that far anyway, so it's pointless to backpedal to the center circle

21. MNpenguin

MNpenguin Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note: Back-pedaling or side-stepping away from the PA was stated
    Certainly being aware and careful while back-pedaling is appropriate.

The quoted situation was U14, those players are not necessarily much smaller than you.
    Certainly as one moves to U12/U10/U8 more care needs to be taken, but you still need to keep the players and ball in your vision to avoid the case of "Oops, I did not see what happened but it seems that something odd happened and I don't know what it is or what to do about it".
    Also for the younger players the distance to move is considerably less.

dadman repped this.
  22. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh the irony. I did two U9 playoff games this week. First game, as AR2, was a blowout. Even more so after the CR gave a red to a kid for VC. Here's the situation: play is near midfield. A player for red, off-ball, runs up and pushes down a player for black. CR applies advantage and asks player not to do that. Red immediately does it again. CR continues advantage and tells player to stop or he'll sit down. Red pushes black down a third time. Tweet. CR orders Red off the field. Red goes most of the way but stops about 6 yards from the touch line and turns wild-eyed towards the CR. Coach jumps on the field and restrains his player, who now refuses to leave the field and thinks he wants a piece of the ref. Red card is shown, coach walks the player off. Cue the parents, one of who was on the bench (not on roster), coming over to yell at the site admin for the remaining 20 of the game. Come to find out this is not the kid's first red card and he will not be invited back next year. Neither with the team, since they failed to provide a roster or corner flags and it's not their first time for that either.

My game, as CR, when off without a hitch. One kid kept singing the Wreck-it Ralph soundtrack though, and at a kick off I almost swallowed my whistle when I noticed two players trying to see if they could make armpit fart noises in the cold.

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Ah, games with little boys just out there having fun . . .

24. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    Too bad the dads and moms present have forgotten why we play games.

dadman repped this.
  25. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should ban the parents through U14.

Then *require* the parents to attend all games U15+ so they can see what little brats they've raised.

:D

And my only tips for doing u-littles are to have fun and do not step on them. ;)

dadman, IASocFan and Barciur repped this.