Timmay Too: The Chandler thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^
    Bshredder has it.

I love Chandler folks. He is a really good player and might be a great USMNT player.

He ain't Germany good.

2. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

agree except for the last part. as someone already noted (per kicker) he was the # 4 rated defender in the BL, in his 1st year at 21

3. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bshredder > Ives.

Ives forgot Lichaj even existed in his Gold Cup squad projection :rolleyes:

4. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Really, there are that many German fullbacks his age obviously better than him? Serious question, I don't watch much Bundesliga at all. Sounds a little overstated though.

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The more I think about this, the more Nurnberg is on my shit list. And I don't like German clubs to begin with.

6. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I'm beginning to agree. Let's get the kid to Roma.

7. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Germany is stacked with young players. These are the defenders they have called up for their next friendly

Marcel Schmelzer (23)
    Arne Friedrich (31)
    Mats Hummels (22)
    Holger Badstuber (22)
    Christian Träsch (23)
    Philipp Lahm (27)

They also have
    Jérôme Boateng (22)
    Andreas Beck (24)
    Sascha Riether (28)
    Marcell Jansen (25)
    Serdar Tasci (24)
    Marcel Schäfer (28)
    Christian Schulz (28)
    Heiko Westermann (27)

Now yes there are a few of those guys who are significantly older than Chandler, but Germany is NOT afraid to call up their youngsters (remember they were the second youngest team in the World Cup). If Germany was really interested, you would hear something

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Don't get me wrong. I agree that clubs are asked to part with their players for international duty too often, and too often come back worn out or injured, leaving them to foot the wage bill and figure out how to replace him. I would not be upset at all if Nurnberg put their foot down over a friendly, or the Olympics, the 2nd GC, or a non-essential WCQ match. The Confed Cup? That would upset me, but not this much.

But as for the GC, an important WCQ match or the WC, this is totally unacceptable. Those need to be completely non-negotiable. (Yes, ALL official competitions and FIFA date matches are by the rule book, but officially speaking, it wasn't Nurnberg's decision, it was the player's. Almost certainly at Nurnberg's insistence.)

9. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    If Germany were becoming interested in the future of a player who had 14 first team appearances, we would all know about it already? I also question that.

10. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Chandler may be comparable with other young German defenders, but because of Germany's depth they probably don't consider him indisposable or worth fighting over.

11. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    Thanks BShred - I'm out of rep but I appreciate it.

12. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Why ? when you think about it they are doing what's best for the player. I remember the redsox trying to keep Dice K out of the WC but he played and played a lot, he was never the same, F'ing 100 + million down the drain and the idiot Dice K has never been the same. He may be headed for TJS. The Sox knew what was best for him, yet playing for Japan may have ruined a somewhat promising career.

13. BarcaLover

BarcaLover Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Richmond, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

got ya covered

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is smart on Nurnberg part. The US is expected to get to the final so this is basically would be a month long commitment for Chandler after the regular season. He can then return from the Gold Cup to immediately start training with Nurnberg for next season. German's believe strongly in periodization, that there are times for training hard, and times for complete rest. If you don't do this, your body and play suffers. Chandler is a young guy who has had a whirlwind year and it probably is very likely in his best interest to just go home and have some time to chill and appreciate everything he experienced this year.

15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    1)who the ******** cares what Nurenburg thinks.

2)As you say, they're a small club with a small squad. It's not like they could afford to bury someone like Chandler for an extended period of time to prove a point.

3)Perhaps the most disturbing thing about this is: What does it say about the USSF et al that Bradley is so ********ing comfortable in his job that he would leave off a player that would make his roster better for our continental championship because some ********ing chumps in Germany put up a bitch?

Seriously - 4 years ago the result of this Gold Cup got the interim tag removed from Bradley's business cards. This tournament is at home. Winning the whole ********ing thing should be the only goal. And Bradley's job is to put this team in the best position to win THIS tournament. Not prepare the team for qualifiers. Not make nicey nicey with a player's club. It's to win this ********ing tournament.

If we do poorly in this tournament Bradley should be fired, if for no other reason than not insisting that he be able to assemble the best team possible.

16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Agree about Bob being fired for a poor showing, but I don't think we should be too quick to blame him about Chandler. A coach shouldn't have to coerce a player into playing in his national team's regional championship. Obviously the U.S. is not a priority for Chandler at this time.

17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chandler for one

If Chandler listens to his club, he doesn't have to play for the US at the Gold Cup if he doesn't want to.

18. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Let's see it for what it is. Chandler and Bob got pushed around by a club that rightly or wrongly had the upper hand. As a result, hopefully Timmy will continue to solidify himself with that club and we'll see him at the Olympics next summer. That's something to look forward to.

19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....for germany.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It is not similar one bit.

Japan was treated as a "guest nation" by CONMEBOL and thus the tournament was going to be a friendly for them. The German clubs put up some stink and the Japanese federation decided not to fight them over it.

There's obviously no question that the Gold Cup is an official tournament for the US. If Bob wanted the kid, he should have gotten him.

Dortmund's Lukasz Piszczek was rated as the best right fullback in Bundesliga with a 3.09 cumulative rating. Phillip Lahm was at 3.37. Andreas Beck 3.55.

Timmay was at 3.08, but with too few matches to qualify for the top rated player list.

The above (plus, obviously, Lahm, who's the German captain) are prime contenders to play on the right side of defense as Lahm's back-ups.

Träsch (3.43) plays in defensive midfield for Stuttgart but can rotate. Boateng is with ManCity and is not really quick enough to play wide. Beck has fallen out of favor and Riether (3.61) can play either as a fullback or in wide/thin midfield.

Another factor for them is that Lahm can play either side, if pressed.

BTW, here's what GOAL had on this :

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=goal-thethreebiggeststoriesemana

21. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nurenberg will get more money for Chandler (one day) from one of the larger German clubs if he is a member of the German National team than they would if he's a member of the US Nats'. He may have his heart set on playing for the US but I'm sure that he has a lot of voices (mostly German speaking) in his ears talking about what is best for his career.

Soccer players dream about playing for their National teams in championships. For a 21-22 year old kid to sit out definitely feels like a stalling tactic. Unless he's not totally healthy.

22. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Thomas DiBenedetto,

Pay whatever you can for Tim Chandler.

Sincerely,
    Me.

23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something is not right. I know people keep saying he is just listening to his club...chandler can miss a little preseason to get the rest back, plus he is young.

I don't think Chandler would lose his spot either. He is the best right fullback on the team...the cream would rise.

He would not be playing every game anyway.

The club and the nats could have limited his game time.

Something smells fishy.

I'm not questioning chandler, but the motives of his club and maybe someone else behind the scenes.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

[​IMG]

25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. I was enraged earlier, and I still haven't calmed down. For the love of God, he didn't even play the full year and he's 21!!! Are they going to be using the same excuse next year? He's too tired to go on WC qualifying runs?

Oh, and they better be releasing him for friendlies later. Cause we won't be forgetting this, and HE HAS TO PLAY FOR US AT SOME POINT. Yes, it's a friendly, but again, you have to release him at some point. And the first time we see him again should not be as part of WC qualifying - aka game #1.

We need to sort our new defensive line, and he's in it.

So, Nurnberg, at some point you'll have to suck it. And Bob and USSF, you better make them do it. At some point shit will hit the fan over this.

EDIT: And I hope Chandler realizes how much his fan base has grown over here. Kid played basically 1.1 games and has people freaking out over him not being included in a squad a couple of months later. We luv you man.